iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

394xp prices, what happened?

Started by Upstatewoodchuc, March 28, 2021, 09:55:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Upstatewoodchuc

Browsing eBay i noticed that used 394xp's are asking nearly new 395xp prices, whats going on? Are people actually getting what they're asking? Im really considering putting my 394xp that is still getting used daily up and just buying a new 395 if this market is actually getting those numbers.
Current collection: Husky 3120xp,  372xp, 365, husky 55, homelite xl12. Michigan 85 wheel loader, Ford 8n with loader and forks. Farmall super C, 1988 international dump truck, John Deere 440ICD dozer, 19ft equipment trailer, 40 ton TSC splitter, modified dieder splitter with 4 way.

Real1shepherd

Yes, that's the artificial market of eBay collectors. Same with most big cc saws of other marques. But in the world of eBay, you're also dealing with liars, posers and thieves....and significant shipping. And if you're in one of the states that taxes internet sales, you'll pay state tax on your purchase.

Kevin  

donbj

Ya crazy prices for things. Did anyone notice that mint chain brake/cover for a 2100 a few weeks a month or so ago on ebay in the US? Something like $550 US. That's like close to $700 up here in the frozen north! Nuts!
I may be skinny but I'm a Husky guy

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

Upstatewoodchuc

Geez, I hate to feed into this insanity but if I could put it up for a high number and get near it, I may have to, not many other times you can step into a new big cube saw for next to nothing. I paid less for my 3120xp nearly new without a scratch in it about 4 years ago...
Current collection: Husky 3120xp,  372xp, 365, husky 55, homelite xl12. Michigan 85 wheel loader, Ford 8n with loader and forks. Farmall super C, 1988 international dump truck, John Deere 440ICD dozer, 19ft equipment trailer, 40 ton TSC splitter, modified dieder splitter with 4 way.

Spike60

The often volatile prices in the collector arena rarely make a lot of sense. I guess the 394 is the lates model that is being irrationally driven up in price. Maybe our "394's to the collection" thread is part of the problem. LOL Just wait until the 395 goes away late this year when the new 592 replaces it.

IMO, differences between the 394 and 395 are not significant enough to prefer one ove the other. What is significant going forward is the 395 will be more supportable down the road. Some of the parts that are unique to the 394 are already NLA. Things as simple as the choke lever. And while pistons are still available, complete top ends are also NLA.
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Upstatewoodchuc

Quote from: Spike60 on March 29, 2021, 06:27:48 AM
The often volatile prices in the collector arena rarely make a lot of sense. I guess the 394 is the lates model that is being irrationally driven up in price. Maybe our "394's to the collection" thread is part of the problem. LOL Just wait until the 395 goes away late this year when the new 592 replaces it.

IMO, differences between the 394 and 395 are not significant enough to prefer one ove the other. What is significant going forward is the 395 will be more supportable down the road. Some of the parts that are unique to the 394 are already NLA. Things as simple as the choke lever. And while pistons are still available, complete top ends are also NLA.
That is why I'm considering dumping my 394, it runs, but is around 150psi of compression and just is starting to show the fact that it's 20 years old, my thinking is that if I can Essentially trade in to get a new 395xp thats basically the same saw but fresh, id get another 20+ good years.

donbj

Quote from: Upstatewoodchuc on March 29, 2021, 05:18:45 AM
Geez, I hate to feed into this insanity but if I could put it up for a high number and get near it, I may have to, not many other times you can step into a new big cube saw for next to nothing. I paid less for my 3120xp nearly new without a scratch in it about 4 years ago...
If you're not into the collecting thing and more just after a replacement saw, taking advantage of the craze is smart. If people want to put crazy money out for it that's their choice. You come out with a new saw and they have something they can say "look whatI got!". For me it's a hobby and I certainly have my limits on the dollars.

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

donbj

Wow, I can influence markets! Actually it's Kevins fault, he was drooling over my 394's :D. It took off from there. It's most likely like everything else collectible with a craze tendency, it'll peak out and settle down. Kinda like the old school muscle cars, well hmmm maybe I'm wrong lol. These big cube saws are the muscle cars of chainsaws. I'm sure in the right circles they'll carry a few dollars with them, especially if kept all stock. Wanna be cloned muscle cars get fractions of the real deal. That's my approach and I'm stickin to it.

donbj

All that said, I have bought parts at premium, prices I said I would not. What I do is price my parts so as to come to a place where the cost of the saw in the end is no more than what I'd pay for a complete one. So far it's working really well. I have been very fortunate to come across some really really good deals on saws and parts saws that justifies more $ for certain other components. I purchased a complete, very good brake/cover for my 2100 recently from a gentleman up north at a price I would not have considered a few months ago but at the end of the day it's well within my limits overall.

Upstatewoodchuc

Well alright, I guess that's it, im listing my old girl to hopefully sell before husky drops the 395xp from the lineup. Always wanted a brand new one and I figured thwy wernt long for this market once they went to being Brazilian made.

Real1shepherd

Quote from: donbj on March 29, 2021, 10:46:42 PM

Wow, I can influence markets! Actually it’s Kevins fault, he was drooling over my 394’s :D. It took off from there. It’s most likely like everything else collectible with a craze tendency, it’ll peak out and settle down. Kinda like the old school muscle cars, well hmmm maybe I’m wrong lol. These big cube saws are the muscle cars of chainsaws. I’m sure in the right circles they’ll carry a few dollars with them, especially if kept all stock. Wanna be cloned muscle cars get fractions of the real deal. That’s my approach and I’m stickin to it.
Lol....I resemble that remark. Still "drooling" here at your saw finds!

When the 'collectors' finally got around to Jonsereds saws....they immediately went high on the eBay market. But collectors soon found out that the old gals were completely unsupported with respect to parts. That sort of froze the prices on most of the saws....except the 111/111S.

Some saws like the Husky 2100 and the Jonsereds 111S hold high value in spite of a complete lack of parts availability. I'm sure they're Homelite, MAC and Stihl models that do the same.

Kevin

sawguy21

In precovid days I displayed my saws with our antique collectors club. Eyes would light up and the first question was are they worth anything. Grandpa's old Mac is sitting in the barn. I explain that I have only ever paid for two saws and only because they were in particularly good condition. They lose interest and walk away. I see ridiculous prices on cl and the local buy and sell but whether they get them is another matter.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

SwampDonkey

Same thing happens on Amazon for out of print books. A $40 book listed for $1000. People with real money don't throw many away, or they don't have it long. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Al_Smith

If you think e-bay prices are off the wall that's nothing with  some forums .It seems some people only join same to sell saws etc and are they ever proud of them .Weather they sell them or are just chumming the waters I don't know .

Upstatewoodchuc

Well mine is listed, so I guess we'll see if the fantasy prices are actually being had. I figure if they aren't actually getting those numbers ill just continue to run my saw and no harm, if they are ill pick up a Shiney new 395XP 😁

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: Upstatewoodchuc on March 31, 2021, 05:05:30 AM
Well mine is listed, so I guess we'll see if the fantasy prices are actually being had. I figure if they aren't actually getting those numbers ill just continue to run my saw and no harm, if they are ill pick up a Shiney new 395XP 😁
Keep in mind Ebay takes a hefty cut (IMHO), so if you get an offer remember there is 10% coming off the top (Including the shipping cost!). I sold a shear a while back and didn't reliaze how high their take had gone since the last time I sold something. I made a fair deal with the buyer I could live with, but that fee (which wasn't charged until 3 weeks later) really hit me in the shorts and too the wind out of the deal. Paypal takes their cut too and both of them work off the full sale price. Just saying, be aware of this. I believe this is why a lot of folks put prices on things that may seem high for the value of the merch, but they are trying to compensate for those fees.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Spike60

I'm glad you are keeping this thread going, cause I'd like to see a real world example of what happens with a listing like this. Where did you actually list it? Does facebook marketplece bang sellers with fees like the other sites?

Didn't think of this til yesterday, but one possibile explanation for the nutty 394 prices could be the scarcity of 395's. They have been very hard to get for the last 6 months. I had 5 finally come in a couple weeks ago and they were gone in 3 days. (had a waiting list) They were on backorder since Thanksgiving. Have another 10 on order, but who knows when they will show up. So, if you do score on your 394 you may have to wait a little before getting a 395.
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Upstatewoodchuc

Quote from: Spike60 on March 31, 2021, 06:54:38 AM
I'm glad you are keeping this thread going, cause I'd like to see a real world example of what happens with a listing like this. Where did you actually list it? Does facebook marketplece bang sellers with fees like the other sites?

Didn't think of this til yesterday, but one possibile explanation for the nutty 394 prices could be the scarcity of 395's. They have been very hard to get for the last 6 months. I had 5 finally come in a couple weeks ago and they were gone in 3 days. (had a waiting list) They were on backorder since Thanksgiving. Have another 10 on order, but who knows when they will show up. So, if you do score on your 394 you may have to wait a little before getting a 395.
Hey spike, I listed on ebay since I used to sell there alot and the audience is bigger and with more money. I do use Facebook marketplace for larger items like trucks, but in my local market that 394 would only bring 5 or 600 I'd say. Marketplace doesn't take a cut, its basically a social media version of Craigslist 

Al_Smith

I haven't really paid much attention to flea bay other than for parts or supplies not for chainsaws .Saying that at one time some sellers actually were chumming the waters .Multiple listing of the same item then stopping the sale short thus making a similar item appear less costly .I once followed the exact same saw over a period of 3 weeks go through 3 sellers from the same address and never did see it sell It was a Mac SP 1000  and they wanted over a grand for it .Here it is 15 years later and I have two of them and not half that much tied up .

Real1shepherd

If you take out the shill bidding on eBay, there's seems to be no shortage of people willing to spend big bucks on large cc saws. However, they are fickle and a finite resource. A lot of it depends on what time of yr the saw is sold, how much original paint is left, what recent sales have done and even how clever the description is written. Video links to YouTube help too.

It's not a sure thing....no reserve is suicide unless you don't care. Yes, the fees are high and I've mentioned that before. Plus, there is buyers remorse;buyers get a change of heart and will complain and nitpick about small issues. Often, they complain to PayPal that there is something wrong with the saw, or it was misrepresented, steal good parts off it, substitute broken parts and send back to seller.

It has become a very dirty business for some. I've followed the auctions of Husky 2100's and Jonsereds 111S' for over a decade and seen every sort of shenanigan pulled.

Kevin

Al_Smith

Well yes to some it's a con game so it's buyer beware .I don't fall for it myself . I'm more of a restorer than a collector and I've been at it long enough to know  rebuilders plus the parts will show up someplace for reasonable prices .One case is the air filters for the P-100 Partner saws which some attempt to get over 30 bucks a pop for .Landed four of same for 20 bucks all new unused .

donbj

Quote from: Upstatewoodchuc on March 30, 2021, 05:42:38 AM
Well alright, I guess that's it, im listing my old girl to hopefully sell before husky drops the 395xp from the lineup. Always wanted a brand new one and I figured thwy wernt long for this market once they went to being Brazilian made.
Good luck with the sale I hope it works in your favor. 

sawguy21

The Brazilian made saws were for a demanding market, they weren't built to be cheap.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Spike60

Quote from: Al_Smith on March 31, 2021, 10:25:57 AM
Well yes to some it's a con game so it's buyer beware .I don't fall for it myself . I'm more of a restorer than a collector and I've been at it long enough to know  rebuilders plus the parts will show up someplace for reasonable prices .One case is the air filters for the P-100 Partner saws which some attempt to get over 30 bucks a pop for .Landed four of same for 20 bucks all new unused .
Funny thing is, a lot of these high value NLA parts in the collector world are dusty, obsolete parts in countless shops around the country. Much of it gets thrown out before it ever finds a good home. 
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Real1shepherd

Quote from: Spike60 on March 31, 2021, 04:46:39 PM
Quote from: Al_Smith on March 31, 2021, 10:25:57 AM
Well yes to some it's a con game so it's buyer beware .I don't fall for it myself . I'm more of a restorer than a collector and I've been at it long enough to know  rebuilders plus the parts will show up someplace for reasonable prices .One case is the air filters for the P-100 Partner saws which some attempt to get over 30 bucks a pop for .Landed four of same for 20 bucks all new unused .
Funny thing is, a lot of these high value NLA parts in the collector world are dusty, obsolete parts in countless shops around the country. Much of it gets thrown out before it ever finds a good home.
Exactly......I've heard stories of pickup loads of NOS parts going to the dump.:'(

Kevin

Thank You Sponsors!