iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Magicwoman's Buck

Started by Magicman, December 21, 2010, 10:21:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chain

Congratulations to your lady on the nice buck!  Speaking of trophy bucks, I've found that large bucks will seek out certain isolated areas each year. Those bucks harvested are most always replaced with another big buck. Why, I do not understand.  One conservation agent also notice this particular area always held a big buck, "must be some pretty does in there too," he said!

We've just returned from Mississippi, started counting dead deer on I-55 l[as well as road-kill dogs] knew we were missing several not visible so, we just began counting circling buzzards. :D

If you so read this far Magic man, I do take interest in types of shrubs and other fauna along the fields and hiways, we noticed one particular shrub  more common south of Grenada, Ms. to Jackson; description... shrub up six to ten feet or so, a rounded top, pea green small willow-like leaves[ I think] and some specimens seemed to have  white blooms or fuzz in the tops, an attractive species but most seen were along the fences or in un-managed fields; know what it is?

WDH

Might be the dreaded chinese tallow.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

Nope, not tallow and I have it also.  If the saw jobs will hold off I'll be back at the Cabin next week and will take a picture for someone to identify.  Yes, it shows up in un-managed fields and that cotton like fuzz will clog the tractor's radiator.  :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SwampDonkey

Is it woody? I was also thinking milkweed if it's a weed.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Magicman

Donk, the stem (or trunk) will get to 2"-4", so I wouldn't classify it as a weed.  I really need to actually take a picture of one to classify it.

I hate to say it, but without a picture and relying on memory, which is a very scary thing, I'm thinking Eastern Baccharis (Baccharis halimifolia L.). 

After I take a picture, I'll either verify this or eat my words.   ;D

(Did I say that I needed a picture  ??? )
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SwampDonkey

Can't imagine a bush with fuzzy fruit.  ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

Yes, it sounds like Baccharis.  Also called sea myrtle.  It is the only arborescent species in the sunflower family (Compositae).  It has a dandelion-like fluff.  It is kin to dandelion since both are in the same family.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

That's what I was thinking of to, something in the aster family. We have a tall white lettuce here that has a bigger head than a dandelion, grows 5 feet tall and big ball of fluff for fruit.

I thought Baccaris was a salt marsh shrub. You guys farming salt flats? ;)

WDH

It is all over the place in the Coastal Plain.

chain

Yep, that looks like what we saw, another name is 'Groundsel tree' common in salt marshes.  :P

WDH

The beach line has changed over the millenia, and many many ago, the beach line came through Columbia, SC to Augusta, GA to Macon, GA to Columbus, GA to Montgomery, AL, etc. on to Texas.  The groundsel trees are remnants from that old habitat from the late Cretaceous Period.

Thank You Sponsors!