iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

pulley sizes for 22 hp saw motor?

Started by SineWave, March 06, 2017, 04:03:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clover

Kbeitz I'm not sure what you're trying to say?

" I cant see how they can rate
the horsepower of a pulley with out knowing the OD of it."

The larger the pulley the more contact area there is with the belt in the v grove. So the stated hp for a pulley is how much hp can be loaded onto that belt for that size pulley (efficiently).

So a single pulley rated for 8 hp with a b belt will work on a 30 hp engine but you will only be able to utilize 8 hp of said engine before slipping the belt. If the same pulley set up was on a 5 hp engine it would stall it before the belt slipped.
The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Home made 30 hp sawmill all hydraulic, stihl 026, 170, pioneer 65, John Deere 955 with home made forks. And a whole slew of other tools

Kbeitz

A small 5" pulley will slip way way before a 10" pulley will.
what they are saying is that a 1/2" single belt will only handle
so much HP. But they are not saying with what size pulleys.
A 1/2" belt will snap if your pulleys are big enough. I would
bet you could push 50 hp through a 1/2" belt before it would
snap with big enough pulleys. With a very small pulley it would
be hard to push 1/2 Hp before it would slip and burn.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Brian_Rhoad

My mill has a 23HP Kohler. 3.4" on the engine and 15.4" on the driven shaft. 2 B belts and never had a problem with slippage.

Dogwreck

I know this is an old post, but Sinewave, what setup did you end up going with? Also thanks Clover for the lessons, I learned a lot from your post. The tools calculators are awesome too. I am getting ready to start a build and I also just acquired a 22HP Predator. Do you guys run a tension-er or a clutch? Thanks

ladylake

Keep your blade speed a little over 4000 fpm, it will cut faster and straighter than higher blade speeds,  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Thank You Sponsors!