iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Guide Bar and Chain

Started by MC2372, August 12, 2019, 05:46:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MC2372

My name is Matt. I'm new on here. I was hoping you guys can help me out!
1) I am looking for a good "all around " or multi use saw chain. I hear alot about stihl RS. Also Oregon VersaCut and DuraCut. I'd like to just buy one large roll and make the chains I need. I'm running 372XP, 365, 2165 Turbo and a T540XP. (I know the 540 will have to have different size chain) Maybe a semi chisel? Mostly cutting pine, popular, maple, ash and some hardwood like oak. some clean and some dirty.

2) I also need to get bars for the 372 and the 540. What would be the best bar brand? I have been looking at Tsumura bars. Should I go with .050 or .058?

I appreciate any help and ideas!
Thanks, Matt

lxskllr

Welcome! Can't really help with the bars, but if you can swing the cost, Stihl RM chain is by far my favorite. Book cost is ~$550/100'. My new dealer sells it for $330/100'. Gauge should be whatever is normal for your area in case you have to buy supplies locally. Around here, just about everything is .050  Other places have other standards.

MC2372

Thank you for the response! I will look into the Stihl RM! Is there really a pro or con to .050 compared to .058. The only thing ive been able to find is it may deliver more oil. I know whatever I do I want to keep all the saws the same.

sawguy21

What is most readily available? Here the larger Huskies are supplied with .058 but .050 is also popular. IMHO, the thicker bars are more durable for hard use but your miledge may vary.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

lxskllr

I think you might get some theoretical gains in durability with the heavier driver, but assuming you don't throw any chains, it'll be a wash. If /I/ were to choose, I'd pick whatever is readily available in your area. If .050 and .058 have about the same representation, I'd get .058

MC2372

Thanks guys! I'm really not sure what is the most available around Mid Michigan area. I do normally order online. I was leaning the .058  but I have noticed that there is a lot more options in the .050.
So a guide bar is either .050 or .058 but the sprocket is both?

lxskllr

I didn't realize that, but I suppose it could be with a sprocket tip. The chain rides on the sprocket, so it doesn't need to be corralled by the rails. I'd be interested in hearing if that's common. Cuts down a bit on inventory that has to be manufactured.

HolmenTree

Quote from: MC2372 on August 15, 2019, 06:51:56 PM
Thanks guys! I'm really not sure what is the most available around Mid Michigan area. I do normally order online. I was leaning the .058  but I have noticed that there is a lot more options in the .050.

Those .050-.058 Tsumura sprocket noses are good as they're .058 gauge.
Normally other brands have them at .063 gauge that will take .050-.063 chain. But a .050 gauge chain wobbles badly on a .063 nose , not noticeable but you can sure see it on a slow motion camera.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

HolmenTree

Quote from: HolmenTree on August 15, 2019, 09:02:45 PM
Quote from: MC2372 on August 15, 2019, 06:51:56 PM
Thanks guys! I'm really not sure what is the most available around Mid Michigan area. I do normally order online. I was leaning the .058  but I have noticed that there is a lot more options in the .050.

Those .050-.058 Tsumura sprocket noses are good as they're .058 gauge.
Normally other brands have them at .063 gauge that will take .050-.063 chain. But a .050 gauge chain wobbles badly on a .063 nose , not noticeable but you can sure see it on a slow motion camera.
That's the main reason the Swedes liked to run .058 chains on Sandvik and Tsumura .058 bars with matched .058 noses on their Jonsereds and Huskies.
And you thought the Germans were fussy :D

HolmenTree

Sorry fellas I didn't explain fully my comments about Swedish Husqvarna/Jonsered  saws with .058 Sandvik and Tsumura bars were a history lesson from the 1970's 1980's.
Now you know why .058 was favored :)

MC2372

Well thats good to know. I didnt know that. I'm buying Tsumura bars for sure. 

HolmenTree

Quote from: MC2372 on August 15, 2019, 10:09:14 PM
Well thats good to know. I didnt know that. I'm buying Tsumura bars for sure.
Like I said that was a history lesson from decades past. 
Tsumura does make 3/8" pitch. 063 noses also and that may only be the gauge they sell today on all their bars whether it's .050, .058 

Thank You Sponsors!