iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

mjeselskis processor build

Started by firefighter, February 24, 2017, 10:37:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

firefighter

Mjeselskis i was wondering if you finished your processor build ? I also have a question in you first post the start the second picture could you let me know how far the 2 pieces of steel extend past the end of the infeed deck Thanks

mjeselskis

We just started working on it again. We have most of the hydraulic lines run now, and will hopefully finish the hydraulics in a few weeks. The lines for the saw motor are causing some difficulty with the saw guard and going to result in some rework. I'm hoping to have it ready for a trial run in a couple months.

I'll get the measurement of the tubing for you tomorrow when I get back down to the garage.

Once we get some visual progress I'll post some new pictures on the build thread
2006 WM LT28  1993 John Deere 5300
Husqvarna 562XP & 365 X-Torq

firefighter

Thank glad to hear you are back at it .

mjeselskis

Firefighter,
The frame rail that extends all the way down to the end of the splitter is 42" past the last uprights. The other frame rail that holds the control panel is about 20" past the last uprights.

It's hard to see both, but the picture shows the shorter one.

firefighter

firefighter

Hi Mjeselskis  would it be possible to get detail on how you fabed you wedge design .I started the build last week and have the frame done also started the log deck. Will be using 81X roller chain .The saw is almos done just have to install it . It is going great thanks Peter

mjeselskis

Quote from: firefighter on March 10, 2017, 07:08:31 PM
Hi Mjeselskis  would it be possible to get detail on how you fabed you wedge design .I started the build last week and have the frame done also started the log deck. Will be using 81X roller chain .The saw is almos done just have to install it . It is going great thanks Peter

We fabbed it out of 1/2" plate and beveled the two edges hard before welding together for the sharp edge. It took a lot of welding to get the edge. It's 3" wide on the fat end to let the wood get by the adjustable 4 way wedge.

We'll see how it holds up once we get it together. If I was going to do it again, I might check to see how much it would cost to have a piece machined out of a solid stock to save time.

firefighter

firefighter

Just wondering if your h beam was 8 feet long .I got a good price on a ten footer and would be a shame to cut it but I will I I have to .

mjeselskis

Quote from: firefighter on March 11, 2017, 10:47:39 AM
Just wondering if your h beam was 8 feet long .I got a good price on a ten footer and would be a shame to cut it but I will I I have to .

The H beam is just under 7 feet, but it could have been about 6" shorter. We had to buy a 20 footer so we have a good sized piece left over.

firefighter

Thanks.Did you happen to get your saw cylinder hooked up yet if so do would you have a picture of it ?

mjeselskis

Quote from: firefighter on March 13, 2017, 08:30:57 PM
Thanks.Did you happen to get your saw cylinder hooked up yet if so do would you have a picture of it ?

It's hard to see with all the stuff in the way, but here's the best I could get

firefighter

firefighter

Hi Mjeselskis I was wondering If it would be possible to get the length of the your splitting wedge and also the length of the one behind the splitting wedge and if you have any other info on the part that moves up and down to give the 4 way split . I went to a shop that is going to make some thing similar for me Thanks again.

mjeselskis

The wedge is 6" long and 3" wide at the widest. The stationary piece behind it is solid 2x4 and it is welded directly to the end of the beam. I welded up 1/2" plate to make the 4 way wedge. Hopefully the pictures below will help. Sorry it took a few days to get back to you.

firefighter

Thanks for the info .Would it be possible to get the height of the wedge as it sit on the beam . Have you done any more to the build?Thanks again  sorry for asking so many questions but I find your plans so helpful.

Peter     

lopet

Quote from: mjeselskis on March 24, 2017, 09:10:26 PM
The wedge is 6" long and 3" wide at the widest.

Don't mean to criticize, but that wedge looks pretty dull to me. It will work if you have tons of splitting force. If your pumps are on the lower end you will want a 1-2" knife in front of it to crack the log open. Once it's cracked it will take a lot less force to get it apart.

Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

mjeselskis

Lopet, are you referring to the primary wedge or the adjustable 4 way?  The 4 way is made from 1/2" plate and hasn't been sharpened yet, it still has a square edge so that would take LOTS of power to push it through.  The primary wedge is razor sharp and modeled after some commercial ones I've seen.

lopet

Yes, I was referring to the primary wedge, but by dull I meant more like fat. It takes less force to split a log in half when you press a 1/2 " knife one or two inches deep into the wood before you open it up. A little hard to explain , but I hope you know what I mean.
Like I said, you won't have any trouble if your machine has lots of power.
I assumed the 4 -way wasn't quite ready to go.
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.

mjeselskis

I understand what you're saying. We have a 4" ram pushing it powered by a 28gpm surplus center pump. I'm hoping it's enough, but if not, I'll keep your suggestion in mind. We copied the size and design off a built-rite processor up the road since I was hoping they had worked out the bugs. I did notice on the dyna processors that the wedge is only an inch thick.

Firefighter,
I forgot to measure when I was at the garage but I know the solid 2x4 is 24" long so I think the wedge is around 18 tall from the beam

firefighter

mjeselskis

Peter,
I measured tonight and the wedge is 16" above the beam. The solid 2x4 is flush with the bottom of the beam.  One thing to keep in mind is that you have to have a slot between the 2x4 and the beam for the 4 way to slide down into.

Since this isn't my original idea, I've got to give credit to built-rite.

lopet

Never looked at those ?  Works really well.
I 've never seen a design  like yours.  So is that a built-rite copy ?

firefighter

mjeselskis

Quote from: lopet on March 28, 2017, 09:40:55 PM
Never looked at those ?  Works really well.
I 've never seen a design  like yours.  So is that a built-rite copy ?

Lopet, that looks like it would work well. Does the wedge slide in a pocket and get backed up by the fixed plate?

Thank You Sponsors!