iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

diesel exhaust removal from shed

Started by 3Dog, November 04, 2008, 12:16:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

3Dog

I have an issue that I havent found a clean answer in the history postings.

I have a LT4042D Super that I am lucky enough to now have under roof.  My issue is that I am in a rented bard that is only open for a 12 foot section (2 sliding doors, only 1 can open at a time).  I am looking for some cost effective way to vent out the exhaust from the mill.  I would prefer not to get CO poisoning.  Additional issues that I have are; since the barn is rented I cant make any major modifications to it.  I currently have 20 feet of the corrugated rubber exhaust tube (4inch dia.) like you find in the auto repair shop but, my concern is too much back pressure for the engine and overheating, diminished performance etc.  I anticipate using the tubing as the first part of the solution and having it attached to an overhead cable by pulleys, and then attaching that tubing to some PVC tubing  approx. 6 inch diameter plumbed to the door opening.

Main question is what type of fan will I need to provide the boost in airflow to eleminate the back pressure at the engine?  I anticipate that the total run lenght for rubber tubbing plus PVC tubing would be around 30 feet.  I have looked at inline duct boosters, to way too expensive fans specifically for this type of application.  One last concern I have is that I dont have any electricity to the buildingother than what I provide with a 1000 watt Honda generator. 

Any suggestions, part numbers pictures, current layout would be truely appreciated.

Thank you very much,

3Dog aka Dave
2002 Woodmizer LT40DSuper Remote Accuset 2, 1952 Allis Chalmers CA, 2001 John Deere 240 skidsteer, Nyle L200, Ebac 800,  and a fulltime job.
Citywood Treecycling

BAR

Not an answer to your question but Diesel produces very little CO. (You should do a search to verify that for yourself)   The generator, if gas or propane fueled, could be a serious source of CO however.
BAR
3340 Zetor with Allied Loader & Fransguard Winch, Woodmizer LT27T,

3Dog

Thanks. I didnt know that about the diesel, but would still feel better even if the smell etc were vented.  It burns the eyes after awhile.  As for the generator, that is outside of the building.  Sorry I should have included that information in the original post.
2002 Woodmizer LT40DSuper Remote Accuset 2, 1952 Allis Chalmers CA, 2001 John Deere 240 skidsteer, Nyle L200, Ebac 800,  and a fulltime job.
Citywood Treecycling

Meadows Miller

Gday

3Dog if you can get hold of a couple of spinaways (whilybirds) and mounted them on the roof of the shed it should give you enough air movement/exchange in the barn or even buy a large fan and set it up at one end of the shed and run it of your generater with it coming in to winter over your way you should have no problem with air movement through heat exchange .

Reguards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

woodmills1

nice recovery VT

we do appreciate correct facts, but most of us are kinda mello(old) :D :D
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Meadows Miller

Quote from: woodmills1 on November 05, 2008, 05:06:42 AM
nice recovery VT

we do appreciate correct facts, but most of us are kinda mello(old) :D :D

Your rite about the first bit but you aint that old woomills1 at 57   ;) im mello and im 27  ;) :D :D :D ;D
4TH Generation Timbergetter

OneWithWood

You can make a very good exhaust extrusion device using 4" PVC, a floor sweep attachment for a dust collection system (found at Menard's) and a bilge blower.  The bilge blower is a 12v fan made to use in 4" duct to draw fumes out of boat bilges.  The blower can be found at any marine store.  You will need a 12v converter to power it.

I have such a set up exhausting fumes from my bio diesel processor.  I will try to post a pic of it here tomorrow, if I remember.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

OneWithWood

OK, I remembered  8)

exhaust set up

bilge fan with converter

floor sweep as collector

When I finally get around to sealing up my sawbarn I will use a similar setup.  Simply replace the rigid pvc with a flexible hose supported overhead to move with the saw head.
One With Wood

sawmilllawyer

OWW, looks like an effective set up to get rid of C2O. I take the blidge pump is in the PVC in the second pic. How does it attach to the pipe? Thanks, Andy
Stihl MS-361, MS-460 mag, Poulan 2150, 2375 Wildthing.

3Dog

Onewithwood-Thank you for the post and pictures.  It is a very good option that I will use.  I didnt think I would stir the dust with the question.  I just figured others would have had the same issue.  I drool at the pictures of your setup.  I rent a shed on a pig farm.  Well it beats standing out in the rain for now..
Citywood Treecycling

StorminN

Nice kitchen, OWW... is that your spice rack? Whatcha cookin' up?  :D :D ;D

-N.
Happiness... is a sharp saw.

BAR

VT,
I originally wrote a longer response recognizing that the problem was more involved than only CO.  However the question was specific to CO and since CO is invisible, colorless, odorless and can quickly become lethal, that is what I addressed and therefore deleted further comments.

It is true that diesel emissions can be offensive.  They contain Nitrous Oxides, Hydrocarbons and particulate matter in addition to odor.  The web address below leads to the US EPA and a summary of their studies on the effect of diesel emissions on human health.   Notice no mention of CO, which is consistent with research I did years ago as an Engineer designing Carbon Monoxide detectors. 

http://cfpub.epa.gov/ncea/cfm/recordisplay.cfm?deid=29060
Health Assessment Document for Diesel Engine Exhaust
Contact
Technical Information Staff
by phone at:   703-347-8561
by fax at:   703-347-8691
by email at:  nceadc.comment@epa.gov
Go To Downloads
This assessment examined information regarding the possible health hazards associated with exposure to diesel engine exhaust (DE), which is a mixture of gases and particles.

The assessment concludes that long-term (i.e., chronic) inhalation exposure is likely to pose a lung cancer hazard to humans, as well as damage the lung in other ways depending on exposure. Short-term (i.e., acute) exposures can cause irritation and inflammatory symptoms of a transient nature, these being highly variable across the population.

BAR

3340 Zetor with Allied Loader & Fransguard Winch, Woodmizer LT27T,

OneWithWood

Quote from: sawmilllawyer on November 05, 2008, 07:13:53 PM
OWW, looks like an effective set up to get rid of C2O. I take the blidge pump is in the PVC in the second pic. How does it attach to the pipe? Thanks, Andy

Yes, the bilge fan is contained within the pvc in pic #2.  The fan is made to be inserted into a 4" hose so it easily joins to the pvc.

StorminN, glad you like my 'kitchen'.  The 'spice rack' is my sample rack.  I keep a pint of every batch, when I remember, just in case I have a problem and need to investigate.  So far no need. 
One With Wood

beenthere

Is there a way to calculate the cfm volume of air that needs to be removed from the diesel exhaust? Or is it a value known from a table somewhere?
Seems a fan in, or connected to, the hose that will move at least that volume of air is needed to function properly.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

bandmiller2

Its not a big diesel and the exhaust pipe moves in a straight line.The hot exhaust will want to rise.A trough high in the middle that the verticle exhaust pipe can travel in hooked to a modest squrrel cage blower like is used on a hot air furnace should do the deed.You could also use garage door track and rollers on a little carrage to move along with the pipe attached to your hose and even a smaller blower. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

3Dog

The garage door track idea is inventive.  I had planned on using a turnbuckle tensioned cable with small pulleys zip tied to the flexible rubber exhaust hose.  This would then be attached to the ridged PVC, with bilge blower, running to the door.  I could even add a removable stack to get fumes away from the open door I imagine.
Citywood Treecycling

Handy Andy

Say you got a blower for your sawdust, and just put a Y in your pipe and hooked the exhaust to it.  Would that cause a problem?  Most sawdust is wet when you are sawing, so hard to see it causing a fire.
My name's Jim, I like wood.

truckwrench

how about a 12V heater fan out of a pickup hooked up to 12 V from your mill battery . Get one out of a junkyard for cheap should vent plenty. I would almost think that if you angled the pipe up a little it would be ok without a fan. I have run trucks and equipment in the shop with just the flexible tubing from the stacks to the floor and out the door,but not under a load.

Thank You Sponsors!