iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Option for Anchorseal

Started by 3Dog, November 04, 2011, 12:28:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

3Dog

As some may recall I have recieved an order for about 150 4x4x4 and 6x6x6 WO for use as crane blocking. The customer has asked that the recieve some endcoating to minimize  chances of splitting as they are routinely being exposed to damp/dry cycles.

I called Baileys to get a price for a pail of Anchorseal.  It was $60 some dollars for the pail...ok but, it was $50 for the shipping.  The customer service rep agreed with me that that didnt make much finincial sense.  He said "why dont you use a latex thinset additive available at a local tile shop"  He advised the formulation is similar and others have used it for endcoating.  The cost for a 2.5 gallon jug of this is only about $20.

Has anyone have either experience using a product like this for endsealing?  Are there other durable options I should looking into?

Any info would be appreciated.
2002 Woodmizer LT40DSuper Remote Accuset 2, 1952 Allis Chalmers CA, 2001 John Deere 240 skidsteer, Nyle L200, Ebac 800,  and a fulltime job.
Citywood Treecycling

Ron Wenrich

We use S hooks to keep logs together on veneer that's being shipped.  Another one uses a plastic "I" that is driven into a log.  Railroad ties are end plated. 

Seems to me, that you will be getting drying from the sawed surfaces, so applying a sealant to the ends won't do much.  Eventually, it will be worn off.

You could end plate them for a few bucks more, and add to the durability.  The end plates the RR ties use are the same they use to build trusses.  Check on price, figure out how long it will take to put them on, then add that price if the customer wants added durability.  The product won't split with end plating.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

3Dog

I like the end capping idea.  I could see a small truss plate being a great option.  I wish I would have asked the question here before I gave him a price for end coat dipping.  Excellent idea!
2002 Woodmizer LT40DSuper Remote Accuset 2, 1952 Allis Chalmers CA, 2001 John Deere 240 skidsteer, Nyle L200, Ebac 800,  and a fulltime job.
Citywood Treecycling

Ron Wenrich

You can still go back and offer the option at an increased price.  Do your homework before you present the idea so your costs come out right.  When you consider the difference in price between the truss plates vs the anchoreal and the little bit of increase labor, it might not be that much of a difference.  The customer might spring for the added costs if he can get added life from the product.  If not, just end coat as you agreed to do.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

logboy

I just checked the price at Baileys too. $60 a pail, $40 for shipping. Have you tried these guys? 

https://www.uccoatings.com/WebStore

I havent, but they have some stuff I could use. 

(My apologies if I have violated a forum rule, I have no idea what the policy is on links to outside companies vs sponsors, etc etc etc.)
I like Lucas Mills and big wood.  www.logboy.com

3Dog

Thanks logboy.  I did call them.  The shipping is about the same and the product is the same as Baileys (just under the Baileys name)  I even tried to track down a product the Mobil used to make called Mobilcer.  Now it is producted by Crystal.  They dont sell it in consumer quantities. 
Thanks
Citywood Treecycling

inspectorwoody

I got a 5 gal pail of Anchorseal from UC Coatings shipped to me for $75.

To me it is worth it if you need it.

Brad_bb

You know they sell Anchorseal in drums too.  You can order direct and have it shipped truck freight (economies of scale).  Can you use that much?  If no, Maybe you can split it with some others?  Get a few sawmill guys and split it up 10 gallons a piece or something?
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

PC-Urban-Sawyer

3Dog,

Where do you live? UC Coatings offers free shipping to the eastern states (defined as AL, AR, CT, DE, FL, GA, IA, IL, IN, KY, LA, MA, MD, ME, MI, MN, MO, MS, NC, NH, NJ, NY, OH, PA, RI, SC, TN, VA, VT, WI and WV). I've ordered from them before and they did not charge me for shipping the five gallon container to me here in Florida...

Herb

tomsteve

how bout lookin at some rubberized roof coating or something that is used on mobile home roof? tractor supply carries this

http://www.tractorsupply.com/home-improvement/coatings-sealants/gardner-reg-flexx-gard-trade-rubberized-premium-fibered-asphalt-roof-amp-foundation-coating-5-gal--3400843

i use it to seal end grain on lumber i have stacked outside and drying. cant see any cracking/splitting happening and its been stacked there since april. i also use it to seal the leg ends on picnic tables. tried it basically because i couldnt find anchor seal anywhere locally and didnt want to pay the shipping.

3Dog

PC-Urban-Sawyer.  Awesome! I am in WI.  I will give a call first thing Monday morning. 
Everyone, thanks for the info and advice.
Citywood Treecycling

logboy

I just ordered a 5 gallon pail of colored Anchorseal 2 from their web store.  $79.00 to Menomonie, Wisconsin.  Free shipping.
I like Lucas Mills and big wood.  www.logboy.com

scsmith42

I wish that I'd seen this thread earlier.

Anchorseal classic is much better than II.  There has been a lot of discussion about this on the various woodworking and bowl turning forums.  It usually takes more coats of II than classic as well.

Also, at this time of year you want to be sure to order the winter formula.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

mjl_2007

Quote from: Brad_bb on November 04, 2011, 03:18:05 PM
You know they sell Anchorseal in drums too.  You can order direct and have it shipped truck freight (economies of scale).  Can you use that much?  If no, Maybe you can split it with some others?  Get a few sawmill guys and split it up 10 gallons a piece or something?

Does anyone know the price for a drum of anchorseal?

Brad_bb

Don't necessarily quote me on that one.  Now that I think about it, I may be getting it confused with Landark finish?

mjl_2007

I see they have it in bulk ih their website, but no price. Guess i'll have to call on it.

Brad_bb

I just looked, they do sell it in a 55gallon drum and a 275 gallon tote.  Dang that's a lot of Anchorseal!

Dakota

I have 3/4 of a 5 gal. pail from Bailey's.  It's free to anyone who will pay shipping from Salt Lake City, UT 84120
Dave Rinker

Thank You Sponsors!