iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

chainsaw bar got stuck - lesson learnt

Started by motif, September 18, 2010, 03:58:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Randy88

You guys are just not taking the right equipment along to the woods, now for me I use big equipment that way when the patience run low we use brute strength and do damage, I tend not to walk back and get the second saw, I head off and the other way and start up some muscle and use hydraulics attached to levers to get my saw back.  Now I remember a few years back when this happened but since my memory is getting bad I may just have imagined it happened :D

Seriously though I'd almost always have an axe along if I work with one saw, I do use equipment most times to get my saw back but sometimes its easier to just swing an axe a few times or pound in a wedge than even take the powerhead off and put another bar and chain on.  My dad prided himself for having a sharp and shiny ax and I told him once that I wanted mine dull and ugly, sitting in the corner rusty from lack of use because I was good enough not to ever need it, he never said anything about his axe again, must have given him something to think about.

Look at the brite side, you get to buy more toys to play with.

motif

Quote from: Randy88 on September 23, 2010, 07:18:13 AM
Look at the brite side, you get to buy more toys to play with.

not sure about that, now when going to woods I have to take big travel bag loaded with:
protective shoes,
long sleeves shirt,
mask or glasses,
gloves,
chainsaw file,
bar oil,
tank of gasoline mix,
spare chain,
universal wrench,
screwdriver,
axe,
wedge,
chainsaw,
backup handsaw,
sparkplugs,
"headphones",
first-aid kit,
bottle of rum...

am I forgetting something? I'm sure I am.

this is expedition not a wood hike ;D

Skiddah

I would seriously suggest buying a forestry helmet.  The glasses are a good start but if anything is being dropped around you, i.e. trees,  and you're not wearing head protection, you're a sitting duck.  Also I really hope that you're wearing chaps or some other form of UL rated chainsaw leg protection.

Randy88

If you want the full list I'd add another spare bar, chains, spare saw, I have extra gas and oil mix, bar oil like gallons instead of a gallon or a quart, spare chainsaw parts, a chain breaker, bulk chain, rivet spinner, power sharpener,service truck with welder generator, vise on back of truck, drop cords, tag trailer loaded with a diesel skidsteer[ a big one], log chains, spare grapple bucket for skid steer, load binders, air compressor with a blow gun for blowing off saw dust and a full set of tools, logging cable about 150 ft long, a small hydraulic cylinder to use to jack over trees in case of emergency, lunch box full of goodies, thermos of warm soup and also another with coffee and don't forget the large water cooler and a cell phone in case of emergencies, I usually carry a set of dry clothes in the service truck and I'm sure theres more but it hits the highlites anyhow, basically I have my service truck loaded anyhow I just take that instead of my pickup and drag along a tag trailer with the skid steer on for making life easier.    Oh yea don't forget the help, a wife or friend or even a georgous sexy remale to assits with whatever comes to mind.   Now when I'm hauling out logs or firewood blocks I have the help drive her own semi and dump trailer to haul home the wood.   If I'm far fromthe truck I also take a 4 wheeler to aid in the refreshment distribution.    I think that about covers the basics for now, but remember the friends and cold beer for after the long day in the woods, now my crew likes an open fire and marshmellows and hot dogs so there needs to be lawn chairs and something to make a fire pit out of as well, don't worry about the wood, they can cut some there.   Its not an expediton but more like takng along some niceties to enhance the fun.   And the most important, a large garbage can to put all the junk in to keep the woods clean and neat after your done.   

beenthere

Never forget the chance for a "georgous sexy remale"   ::) ::) 8) 8)

;D

Sorry Randy, couldn't resist. :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

terrifictimbersllc

-first aid kit
-smart phone
-pre-programmed voice activated 911 number in case your hands don't work anymore
-phone numbers of nearest neighbors
-leave note to family member with location and when to come looking for you
-phone number of nearest helicopter logging outfit
-bookmark to forestry forum sawmill, logging and chainsaw pages

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Thank You Sponsors!