iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hope for the American Chestnut

Started by ibbob, July 15, 2005, 04:53:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

benevolance

Well there have been untouched blight free stands of chestnut found in Maine and New Hampshire in the past few years... I have read articles on both... I have also read articles on a couple stands in Virginia. Not a genetic cross... actual american chestnut.

It is hopeful that there are some massive old growth chestnuts left...Like the one in the picture from Nova Scotia. As they continue to work on this problem....Maybe they will have it figured out before the last of these trees are gone.

the 1 in 64 bit was pretty interesting...if they can use natural selection to find a blight resistance for american chestnuts and keep selectively breeding seeds from trees that show blight resistance, well that would be fantastic also.

I have family not far from that Chestnut in Ashdale Nova Scotia...I would love to see it the next time I go up that way

old joe

I have clump of american chestnut root sprouting .  It gives more than a feed sack of nuts in a good year. I have been planting 50 or so nuts each year , lots of seedlings  but they die off at about 30 ft.  The main clump is about 50 feet tall  6 or so trunks 6" to7"dbh  the nuts are great if you get them before the worms!!
THE NEW YANKEE TIL A NEWER ONE ARRIVES THEN I\'LL BE THE OLD YANKEE

rickywashere

Quote from: thedeeredude on July 17, 2005, 10:20:17 AM
Maybe I'll get to saw a chestnut in my lifetime 8)

we can only hope i seen too many dead stumps that where bigggggg trees at one time and i would have loved to stick a saw in it....

Ron Scott

2012 American Chestnut Summit

The American Chestnut Foundation and the Forest Service presented the 2012 American Chestnut Summit, Oct. 19-21, in Asheville, N.C. The conference included presentations, workshops and the largest field tour ever held at the Bent Creek Experimental Forest. This summit brought together members, scientists, foresters and others who are interested in or working on restoration of American chestnut to Eastern forests. Nearly 70 participants viewed American chestnut test plantings and learned about the ongoing research and cooperative studies between The American Chestnut Foundation, the Forest Service and other state and local partners. 

The Chief's Newsletter
~Ron

Phorester

American chestnut sprout in the Blue Ridge mountains of Clarke county, VA. 

Landowner's agent with her hand on a branch to highlight the leaves.  The 3" dbh chestnut sprout is on her left.

I see probably half a dozen such sprouts every year in my work area. Not unusual.  They're all over these mountains.

just_sawing

Their are chestnut groves is the south. One on the tn Carolina border is about five acres. The 15/16 are actively being planted here. ,my house trim, doors and windows are chestnut. I will be planting the trees offered by the forestry department on my farm.
You can follow me at
www.http://haneyfamilysawmill.com

Okrafarmer

Are these 15/16 trees widely available now?
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

John Mc

Quote from: Okrafarmer on October 27, 2012, 10:35:36 PM
Are these 15/16 trees widely available now?

Available, but not widely so, at least not around here. 
Contact the American Chestnut Foundation

If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Thank You Sponsors!