iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What chain profile

Started by ohiowoodchuck, February 17, 2015, 06:06:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ohiowoodchuck

I was wondering what is your guys opinion on a chain for splitting big rounds of firewood to make them easier to work with on a splitter. My log splitter doesn't pivot so I need to be able to lift them up on the bed. I'll be using my 3120xp for this with a 36" bar and .404 chain. I'm currently running a stihl rsc chain in full comp. wasn't for sure if I should switch to a full skip or a ripping.
Education is the best defense against the media.

lumberjack48

That chain will work fine, lay the block of wood on its side and start making noodles. That big saw will drop though them, you'll have to keep pulling the noodles out of the chain guard.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

beenthere

Also +1 on the use of the regular chain, and noodles can be avoided if running just a slight angle to the longitudinal grain.
Using the chainsaw to bust those big ones up is pretty easy and quick, IMO.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

ohiowoodchuck

I did a couple smaller pieces of white oak that I cut a little to long for the splitter and it went through really easy. I just wanted to see if there was anything better than what I was using.

SawTroll

+2 to noodling - and just use full comp chisel chain.  :)
Information collector.

John Mc

I've not done a whole lot of ripping with a chainsaw, but my impression is that a ripping chain really does not speed things up, it just tends to give you a smoother finish. Since this is for firewood, who cares about a smooth finish?
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

ohiowoodchuck

I cut four pieces of hickory up tonight. It cuts like a dream.

CTYank

Quote from: John Mc on February 24, 2015, 08:51:48 AM
I've not done a whole lot of ripping with a chainsaw, but my impression is that a ripping chain really does not speed things up, it just tends to give you a smoother finish. Since this is for firewood, who cares about a smooth finish?
Ripping (cutting with the bar parallel a cross-cut face) is quite different from "noodling" (with the bar parallel the grain). Noodling is a far easier cut mechanically. Some saws' clutch covers are far better than others at ejecting the long, stringy noodles. For example, RedMax GZ4000, PP5020, Many Dolmars including PS-6100. Some clog solid often.  ;)
'72 blue Homelite 150
Echo 315, SRM-200DA
Poulan 2400, PP5020, PP4218
RedMax GZ4000, "Mac" 35 cc, Dolmar PS-6100
Husqy 576XP-AT
Tanaka 260 PF Polesaw, TBC-270PFD, ECS-3351B
Mix of mauls
Morso 7110

Thank You Sponsors!