iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

squerril dog hunting

Started by DWM II, December 24, 2006, 09:54:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DWM II

Any folks out here interested in hunting some bushy tails with treeing curs? Done got tired of sittin in the tree myself looking at them eye ball to eyeball. First hunt last Thursday we ( a friend with two finished dogs and my puppy) killed 12. Yesterday same dogs, we killed 13 with two little kids under ten doin the shooting. Were just lookin for some fun, nothing serious. We are located in the Baton Rouge, LA area will travel reasonable (2-3hrs) distance for some good squerril woods. Send me a pm if interested.

Donnie
Stewardship Counts!

Robert R

I think every few months about getting a squirrel dog as well as something to run the trap line with.  I've never hunted squirrels over a dog but sure looks like a lot of fun.  If you don't already know about, sqdog.com is pretty much the world headquarters for all things squirrel dog.  There are a bunch of other sites that are more breed specific as well.  You all have any of those Cajun Squirrel Dogs down that way.  I thought that breed looked very interesting.
chaplain robert
little farm/BIG GOD

DWM II

It definetly is a blast. Kinda like coon hunting with the lights on, and you dont have the restrictions due to hunting at night. These are mountain curs we hunt. They will tree anything, coons, squirrels, opposums and house cats ;D. If i were running traps I think I would have one running with me, I hardly walk out back with out one of the dogs. They dont get that big, a large one gets upto 60# but they are very gritty. Dept. of wildlife here uses them to bay black bears (to tag and release) and hogs as well. Some folks here run fiest dogs but I dont care for the mouth on them, if they get to far out you cant hear them when they tree, but they are fine tree dogs as well. Good luck if you get yourself one.

Donnie
Stewardship Counts!

JimBuis

I have hunted with coon hounds, beagles for rabbits, and dogs for quail, etc.  However, I must admit that I have never heard of using dogs for squirrel.  Boy, live and learn.  I'd like to try it, but the travel expenses from Tokyo to Louisiana are prohibitive.

Jim
Jim Buis                             Peterson 10" WPF swingmill

Dan_Shade

my coonhound goes crazy over squirrels.  i need to get him out in the real woods...

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2460113956592754383&q
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

DWM II

IIIII love it. That sound in the woods, man, aint much better than that. Thats a fine looking hound too. 8)
Stewardship Counts!

Dan_Shade

I got him from a rescue center.  I took the safety courses to get my license, now i just need to get it, and find a place to hunt.  My dog has trouble moving from tree to tree with the squirrels, if I let him out, he'll stick to a tree, but he won't change trees if the squirrel does.   his other problem is he won't leave the tree if I call him, which I guess is good and bad, of course this has all been within 100 yards of my house too...

Actually, i'm not so sure of legalities in hunting squirrels with dogs here in Maryland, and i'm not so sure what constitutes hunting/training when you have a dog in the woods....   

Dogs are great, the sad truth is a lot of people are out to destroy hound and retriever hunting.  and even sadder than that is how the different groups of hunters don't get along well enough to form a united front.

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

DWM II

here in La (thats not los angles) it is legal to hunt with the dogs all season. The trouble I run into is nobody wants to squirrel hunt during deer season. The leases are so high that all they want to concentrate on is deer, they just dont realize how much fun they are missing out on, but I do see their point, althouth I help pay the lease also. As far as hunting and training, you do one with a gun the other without. I have trouble getting the dogs to quit hunting as well, its just in their blood, thats a good thing. I would definietly check with the dept wildlife for your states regulations for the season. On our state run hunting land they have a designated season which is rather liberal considering its dog hunting. As far as folks not being able to unite, sadly its due to true ignorance. They just dont understand the sport, but the best offense is to invite them after deer season is over and show them what real sport dogs are all about. They cant believe these dogs are that intellegent. Good luck with that black and tan hell be fun to work.
Donnie

ps. A shock collar would be a wise investment to help train with.
Stewardship Counts!

Dan_Shade

I've got one, some sort of tri-tronics, I can't remember the model.  :)

I should get a tracking collar too.  I'd hate to loose my dog.

I wish I were a bit farthur south, we could get together!

farmerdoug

Too bad you  both are not closer to Michigan.  I loved to hunt coon, rabbit and squirrels with dogs.  My friends have the dogs and I have the places to hunt so it works out just fine.

Farmerdoug
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

Thank You Sponsors!