iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

?'s on LT-15

Started by Pedalbiker, May 17, 2008, 10:08:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pedalbiker

I'm getting closer to ordering a mill soon to get back in the wood business and have a couple of questions on the LT-15 since it seems to be at the top of my list right now.  I haven't had the opportunity with one, just watch the videos.

The crank to move the head back and forth looks like repetitive motion injury waiting to happen.  My hands and wrists bother me enough already.  My question is would it be practical to just push the head back and forth through the log/cant instead of using the crank drive?  I know they offer the power feed now but would rather put the extra money into the 25hp instead of the drive.

On the motor, is the 25hp worth an extra thousand dollars?  Realistically most of my logs are going to be in the 12-20" range, some hardwood, some softwood.  With this mill I'm not going to be sawing for production so I'm not sure whether the added hp is worth the extra cash or not. 

How heavy are the bed extensions?  Can one person handle them alone? 

Thanks!

Pat

Patrick Hubble
Coleman, MI

"You will never find time for anything. If you want time, you must make it."      Charles Buxton

Bibbyman

I've made a cut or two with the LT15 at forestry shows.  I didn't find the cranking to be a problem.  And there is no reason you can't push the head. 

They have since added some counter weight devices to make the adjustment up and down almost effortless.

I'd think if you use one enough to get a serious repetitive motion injury,  you have enough need to step up to an LT40.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

WDH

I have not had an ergonomics issue using the crank.  However, I push sometimes for a change of pace, and that works fine.

I would get the bigger engine unless you are strapped for cash.  I have the 15 Hp, and it does fine, even on big logs, but you have to go slow on the wide cuts.  The 25 Hp was not available when I bought mine 6 years ago, but if I had to do it over again, I would get the bigger engine.  I bet it would make the re-sale value look very good and you would be sure to get your money back out of it.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Bibbyman

When I was searching for the above picture I ran across this one that I also took at a show.  This lady and her husband bought this early model LT15 at the show and were about to load it up and take it home.  They owned a basic model of some other brand (that I can't remember) and she did the sawing.  She was so pleased to get the LT15 because it had a crank and she didn't have to push the head.  I thought, "What a woman!  It would be like going from washing clothes on a washboard to getting a wringer washer."

Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

zopi

The 15 does fine in the 12-20 inch range...having said that...there is no substitute for cubic inches..I would much rather have a bigger engine.

The crank is not bad...there is a picture floating around of my 8 year old cranking it through...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

WDH

I like the crank because it helps me "feel" the blade in the cut and keep the feed speed just right for the sharpness of the blade and the width of the cut.

You high horsepower hydraulic folks probably don't get the same visceral enjoyment of "feeling" the blade in the cut because you want to "feel" the money in your pocket :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Jeff

I'm surprised Bibby didn't mention that Wood-Mizer is offering power feed on the LT15 now.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

zopi

Pedalbiker mentioned it...

I'm not so sure I'd go a grand for the drive..obviously my priority was a sharpener lol another grand for the bigger engine I can see...it just seems to me WM might be going the same route as the LT-15 trailer..can't get those now..from what I gather, folks thought they were too expensive...at some point the add ons
outstrip the economy mill, and ya should just get a 28.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Kevin

The cranking up to start a new log is a bit of work on my older LT-15 but I think they've changed that now.
For the amount of milling I do it isn't a concern.

Pedalbiker

Thanks for the replies so far.  My main concern with the crank was that if it was an issue whether or not it could be pushed through the log or not.  I assumed it could be but not seeing one in person didn't want to take it for granted.

The larger motor makes sense to me both from a production standpoint and I would think it would increase the resale value some also.

Now how about the bed extensions?  Can I move and add them by myself or will I need help?  While most of my sawing will be here I can envision moving the operation once in a while.  I currently have an enclosed trailer all set up with my saws, tools, gas etc. that I use for my stump grinding business and would like to use it.  I think I can leave the head on one bed section and rig a way to slide it in and out of the trailer with the extra bed sections strapped to the inside wall alongside.  It would be nice if I could move bed extensions alone but they look awkward to handle.
Patrick Hubble
Coleman, MI

"You will never find time for anything. If you want time, you must make it."      Charles Buxton

Don K

Pedalbiker,  I have a 05 LT 15 with the 15 hp and I have sawn some pine and Pecan logs on it that was bigger than the mill. The 15 gets the job done on the wide cuts but at times I would love to have the 25 hp. You have to go much slower in the wide cuts or your rpms will drop enough to cause waves in the cut at times. Besides what man is ever satisfied with the size and power that he currently has on a piece of equipment. There is always something bigger out there. ;D The 25 just became available last year and was not a option when I purchased.

I have pretty bad carpal tunnel in both wrists and push my head through on the faster cuts but when you saw big logs all day you are a lot less tired by the end of the day by using the crank. It takes so much effort out of the sawing. I have not had a problem. I don't think I would like to have a mill where pushing is my only option especially on full width cuts.

I got a extra bed section with my mill and though i have not trailered it any where, I did have to move it from under a shade tree about four times during the 05 hurricane season. A section is pretty heavy but most anybody would be able to do it. I have a few pics in my gallery of the saw and some of the logs I've cut. Check them out.

If you have any more questions fire away. We have a few well seasoned  :D ;)  15 owners on here and at least one of us should be able to answer any question. The worst purchase is an uninformed purchase.

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

WDH

"Well seasoned"?

Does that mean that I am old?  Maybe experienced LT15 owners are just a little "spicy" :D.

MartyParsons

I would guess the Bed extension is about 200 lbs maybe a little more. I can lift one end and set it on the truck bed and pick the other end up and load it myself. Two persons can carry the bed x easily. We have a wheel kit to move the mill around the shop that slides into the tube frame make it easier. The mill is stable when you have the mill assembled, if you only have one section and the head on the section it is a little top heavy.
M
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

adrean louis

i have a 2007 lt15 my 2 nd one i think its great, no need for bigger engine, and yes they do make a power feed now for it. i put mine on 14 inch steel i beams. i had one of there first models when they first made the lt15, and they made a lot of great improvements

Don K

I guess I should say "seasoned" as in wise and knowledgeable in the ways of the LT 15, Obiwan Kinobi.  :D :D
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

zopi

Quote from: Don K on May 18, 2008, 05:44:02 PM
I guess I should say "seasoned" as in wise and knowledgeable in the ways of the LT 15, Obiwan Kinobi.  :D :D

Smoked.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

WDH

May the FORCE be with us :D.

Thank You Sponsors!