iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawmill Scale Measurements - Mistake Found/Corrected

Started by Cutting Edge, July 02, 2012, 03:53:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cutting Edge

After reading numerous posts in the archives and pics, I figured the easiest way to saw accurate/consistent lumber was to keep the one "yardstick" and just have these laminated and clipped on the mill.  If down the road I do decide to make "story poles" of the most commonly sawed dimensions, all the math is already done.  Hillbilly setworks!   :D

These Excell Spreadsheets are set up for 1/8" allowance for kerf and last board off is at 1" thick or matches chosen cut sequence.  One is for true dimensions, other is for dimensional lumber.  Referencing different scales assists in flitch thickness before cant is made w/ a nominal trim cut to bring everything back in sequence.  Not perfect, I know, but better than tryin to do in in your head.  All you need is a yardstick w/ 1/8" increments.

The formulas are still imbedded if you want to change 'em to suit your mill.  I shifted the common variables to the last page in each, so all you have to do is print the first 2 pages and you can just change the bottom number (fractional) to your desired last board thickness.  If you see an error, let me know, and I'll correct it (I am human).  Or if you need help converting them to your setup, PM me.  I figured if they would be handy for me, someone else could probably use 'em too.
"Winning an argument isn't everything, as long as you are heard and understood" - W.S.

Cutting Edge Saw Service, LLC -
- Sharpening Services
- Portable/Custom Milling and Slabbing
- On-Site Sawmill Maintenance/Repair Services

Factory Direct Kasco WoodMaxx Blades
Ph- (304) 878-3343

Ga Mtn Man

Very cool, Richard.  Now that IS working smarter, not harder.
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

macpower

Interesting that you posted this today. I just came across an aluminum yardstick at a local hardware that is about 1 1/4 wide and about 3/16 thick, real heavy stock for a yardstick. The back side is unmarked and I was thinking of notching and marking it for  4/4 and 5/4 on each edge and mounting it either in place of, or on top of the scale on the mill. I could flip it over to the 1-36 inch scale when needed.  I have a rudimentary version of your spreadsheet that I have been using, it is in pencil on a pine board behind the seat in the pickup.
Purveyor of Stihl chain saws.
Thomas 6013 Band Mill, Kubota L3400DT, Fransgard V3004, 2 lazy horses and a red heeler

wormy

thank you for that i keep saying i was going to write them down but i never do and end up always doing them in my head as i go. now just one less thing to think about

Delawhere Jack

Another member (Jim Rogers?) posted some similar tables. They are VERY helpful, especially when you've got a customer who wants to chat with you after EVERY cut.... :-X Forget where you were? Just look at the table....

Thanks rwthom279.

Cutting Edge

Well, I guess its handier than I thought! 

For folks that do not have Microsoft Excell....I used their Office Starter (free download) and saved it in this format.  I am under the impression it is universal.  If you do not have fast internet the download will be misery as it is kinda large.

I'm sorry, I don't have an Adobe account to convert them to pdf.  Maybe someone here has this capability.

I can try to get each one moved over to "Notepad" or "Word" if that will help folks out.   If this will work, lemme know....more than glad to help.
"Winning an argument isn't everything, as long as you are heard and understood" - W.S.

- Sharpening Services

Ph- (304) 878-3343

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I read 'em fine. Rich, you did a good job coming up with these charts.  smiley_thumbsup

I see now why you're up in the middle of the night.  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Slabs

I've made some handy scales with the aluminum yardsticls also.  You'll probably have  to notch out for the retaining screw but they work well.  I use a very fine felt-tip marker for the scale lines and coat the results with clear Krylon for durability.

REmember to take the kerf into consideration when you set up your scales.

Good luck
Slabs  : Offloader, slab and sawdust Mexican, mill mechanic and electrician, general flunky.  Woodshop, metal woorking shop and electronics shop.

bandmiller2

Cheat sheets, I make them up for the circular and bandmill.Especially helpfull making the last slab cut so everything works out.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Cutting Edge

Alright....I have them converted to Word for folks who need them in a different format.  Can't post them here (format not allowed), but will gladly send them out via. e-mail.

- Sharpening Services

Ph- (304) 878-3343

OneEyedJackIndy

Cutting Edge

Hey Y'all.  As I figured would happen....there was an error.  The Dimensional Cheat Sheet was 1/8" heavy.  I will call it computer error (seems feasible)  :D  It seems when I was shifting colums/values around to put the scales on 1 page, one formula holding 1/8" heavy copied to ALL columns.  It is now corrected.

Thanks to POSTONLT40HD for the catch...Sorry for mistake all!

As per POSTON's recommendation, I will blame the mistake on the lack of A/C due to no power.  That covers the computer AND ME.  Now I won't have to eat any crow grits dead possum (sounds tasty)  :D

- Sharpening Services

Ph- (304) 878-3343

thecfarm

I have an aluimum yard stick with 3 differant color makers,one for an inch,1½ and 2.Works for me.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ga Mtn Man

"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

kelLOGg

I made my lumber scales with Excel, too. Transferred it to a metal strips, glued it on and sprayed clear lacquer on it. I occasionally have to re-glue the strips.
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

colinofthewoods

Thank you very much for working on this.  Those of us with low level math skills appreciate it.

Cypressstump

Quote from: colinofthewoods on July 03, 2012, 12:16:04 PM
Thank you very much for working on this.  Those of us with low level math skills appreciate it.

Yeah Same here, Thanks ! My counting thumbs don't do fractions none too easy !

Appreicate ya posting this. I will laminate a copy to hang on the little mill.
Stump

Timberking 1220 25hp w/extensions -hard mounted
Case 586E 6k forklift
2001 F350 4X4,Arctic Cat 500 4 wheeler wagon hauler
Makita 6401 34",4800 Echo 20"er, and a professional 18" Poulan PRO , gotta be a 'pro' cuz it says so rite there on tha' saw..

francismilker

Thanks Richard, (rwthom279) for resurrecting this thread for me.  I'll be printing these babies out and laminating them for the clipboard that hangs on the mill!  I appreciate it.  Sure will save lots of time ciphering.
"whatsoever thy hands finds to do; do it with thy might" Ecc. 9:10

WM LT-10supergo, MF-271 w/FEL, Honda 500 Foreman, Husq 550, Stihl 026, and lots of baling wire!

Thank You Sponsors!