iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hi Cube Reefer Kiln Build

Started by YellowHammer, March 13, 2015, 11:41:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WDH

When I toured, I got a steak dinner and a whack of information.  That Yellowhammer is one fine, smart, fellow. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

YellowHammer

I can't do much more until the flatbed container hauler comes out and moves the unit into its final position.  Here's me getting ready to place a bunch in ties.  The grapple and strong hydraulics makes short work of it.  

I'll get some steel this week and start on the carts and track, and also get some loads of crushed green concrete for the access and loading ramps.  

I'll probably be loading with pallets.
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

AlaskaLes

Nice grapples Yellowhammer!!
Who makes that?
You can see Mt McKinley from our backyard...Up Close!!

Mighty Mite MK 4B, full-hyd, diesel bandmill
Kubota 4wd 3650GST w/FEL; Forks;
3pt Log Arm& Log trailer
Husky 394XP
Husky 371XP
Husky 353
Echo 330T
Nyle 200M
Robar RC-50 50BMG-just in case the trees get out of line

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: YellowHammer on May 04, 2015, 12:31:12 AM
<<snip>>
I'll get some steel this week and start on the carts and track, and also get some loads of crushed green concrete for the access and loading ramps.  I've been playing with this crushed green concrete and it's great stuff. It only costs $15 per yard, versus $100 per yard of ready mix, goes on like gravel, but when flooded with water and compacted, creams on top for a fairly smooth surface, and shortly thereafter becomes rock hard.  I built a half mile road into a swamp a few years ago with the same  material, so I know it will make an impenetrable bed. 
<<snip>>
Please, tell me more about it!  I need to put in my driveway for the fire department.  I have snow/frost and wonder how well it would do.  Were do you get it?
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

YellowHammer

Quote from: AlaskaLes on May 04, 2015, 12:53:26 AM
Nice grapples Yellowhammer!!
Who makes that?
Its a Construction Attachments extreme duty demolition grapple, very useful for many things besides just grappling.  It is extremely effective for clearing roots in fields of woods roads.  

Quote from: ljohnsaw on May 04, 2015, 01:08:18 AM
Please, tell me more about it!  I need to put in my driveway for the fire department.  I have snow/frost and wonder how well it would do.  Were do you get it?
Just like sawmills, concrete plants have waste streams, too, all you have to do is call and ask.  
YellowHammerisms:

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Ljohnsaw

Hmm,
I'm going to need to get a dump truck or at least make a dump trailer to get this "free/cheap" stuff...
John Sawicky

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

YellowHammer

Most times you just have to pay for trucking.

YellowHammerisms:

YellowHammer

I've been fairly busy working the kiln lately.  It finally stopped raining and I was able to get the kiln base finished.  

Here is the container dropped in its new home.

YellowHammerisms:

AlaskaLes

Go Man Go!!
Looking really good.

3pt Log Arm& Log trailer
Husky 394XP
Husky 371XP
Husky 353
Echo 330T
Nyle 200M

OneWithWood

If you do not already have one now would be a good time to buy a decent spray gun.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Glenn1

I have never seen someone get as much productivity per minute as you do!  You take being organized to a whole new level    8) 8)
Vacutherm IDry, Nyle 53 Kiln, New Holland Skid Steer, Kaufman Gooseneck Trailer, Whitney 32A Planer

FarmingSawyer

Thomas 8020, Stihl 039, Stihl 036, Homelite Super EZ, Case 385, Team of Drafts

GAmillworker

Looking Awesome

Thanks for all the pics

You are one productive fellow.

Thank the Lord for second chances

scsmith42

Looking good!  I like your pallet idea - much quicker to load on the cart as opposed to trying to match up the sticker locations exactly.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

AlaskaLes

I agree with OneWithWood.
Spray guns are cheap these days and painting really isn't  that hard. 
You should look at HVLP=High Volume Low Pressure.
It wastes a lot less of the expensive material than a Conventional gun.
Most...75% of the material makes it to the substrate that you intend to paint.
HVLP is quite common these days and you can pick up a good gun for not very much $.
Just be sure to break it down and flush  it well with solvent when you're done.
A good solvent clean or a light sandblast and solvent wipe, will ensure that your finish bonds well.
It's better to coat it right the first time than watch it rust and have to rebuild it.
You should look at Polyamide Epoxy, as it is made for extreme moisture and heat.

3pt Log Arm& Log trailer
Husky 394XP
Husky 371XP
Husky 353
Echo 330T
Nyle 200M

YellowHammer

The only thing better than a spray gun is a wife who knows how to use one.  We got the carts finished, painted and wheels mounted.  Took awhile.

YellowHammerisms:

Ljohnsaw

That's quite a railway!  Look like you need one more tie...  Putting on a tab on the end so you don't run off the end of the track?
John Sawicky

AlaskaLes

Might just be my eyes, but it looks like your whole assembly is laying on it's side.
You may need to rotate that 90° :D :D
Looking really good Yellowhammer.
I can relate to the ultimate tool being a hardworking wife who's willing to pitch on whatever is needed.
My partner/wife was running the controls on our 10K lb boom crane for a 9 hour shift of piledriving 2 days ago.
...and smiling the whole time.

3pt Log Arm& Log trailer
Husky 394XP
Husky 371XP
Husky 353
Echo 330T
Nyle 200M

YellowHammer

I have problems loading photos from my Ipad, as it always shows the photos as being correct side up, even when I view the final post with my Ipad, but when I look at it with the PC, they are rotated.  
YellowHammerisms:

WDH

You have some pretty big hills for those carts to roll down  :)

Will you be stacking the pallets three high?
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

beenthere

QuoteI have problems loading photos from my Ipad

Know the problem. I send them from iPad to PC, and upload to gallery from the PC.  Seems to work then, as apparently there is a tag from iPad to know which is the bottom/top etc. Prolly an app that would sort that out, but no idea what it would be.

Like the new RR and the kiln build.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Bruno of NH

YH you are the man !
That's some nice work !
How's the new tractor working out for you ?
Jim /Bruno
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

YellowHammer

No, we are switching from three high to two high.

Quote from: Bruno of NH on May 22, 2015, 08:45:24 PM
How's the new tractor working out for you ?
Jim /Bruno
It's working out great.  It's increased loader capacity lets me lift these full packs with ease, and was a very important part of the new kiln strategy, as well as our new Cat forklift.  Both lift full packs of every species we saw, including heavy hickory.
YellowHammerisms:

OneWithWood

Excellent build, YH.  A good an inexpensive stop for the carts is to use full size rubber wheel chocks placed next to the track against the cart cross member.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

scsmith42

Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Thank You Sponsors!