iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

USDA Sawmill booklet

Started by farmsc, September 11, 2005, 08:02:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

farmsc

A friend of mine who is also setting up an old Circle-Sawmill for preservation/exhibition told me he once had a booklet published by the USDA on setting up and operating sawmills.  He loaned it to a fellow who then promptly misplaced(lost) it.  He would kill(not really) for another copy.  Does anyone have this booklet either printed or on computer?  I'm in the middle of searching the USDA site, but this may take a while!  Thanks, Kevin

beenthere

Probably "Circular Sawmills and their Efficient Operation" by Stan Lunstrum.

Do a search on "Lunstrum Sawmills" and the USDA site should come up (it doesn't for me at the moment).

http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/misc/circsaw.pdf

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Frickman

Lunstrum's book is an excellent one. Many times you can get it and others on ebay. Look under sawmills.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

Jeff

You can print the whole thing using beentheres link once you get it downloaded, or save it to your computer for reference, as pdf's are searchable.

I leaned on that book heavily as a young sawyer back in about 1979. Dont worry if that link doesnt work now. Weems like the GOV servers have down times on the weekends anymore.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

farmsc

Thanks, guys, that's the one.  I found an individuals site that had it to download.  I'll get it printed and bound tomorrow(one for me, one for my friend).  Man, I love this board!

caryr

I had a free copy sent to me earlier this year. I can't recall exactly who I talked to, but I think I found the information in an announcement in Sawmill and Woodlot. I could look a bit more if you are interested.

Cary

farmsc

Thanks, but I printed it from a pdf file today at work.  The guy that had me looking for it said if I found and printed it, he'd have a couple copies reprinted front/back and bound for us.

Thank You Sponsors!