iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Today's happy customer

Started by Jim_Rogers, January 27, 2019, 02:13:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Greenhorn

Well I have just had only a couple of 'customers' but never got a photo. Today I had a custom job with a lot of odd sizes. The customers brought 5 RO logs, we used about 1-1/2 logs for the order and they left me the rest. One tail-gunned and the other kept the tally sheet because of all the different sizes. The latter was the toughest job. Took a couple of hours, but we got it all done except two boards that will require planing and I need to clear room in the shop for those. He has a '23 ford sedan they are restoring, hence all the oddball sizes. Anyway, they were both pleased and left me the other logs as a thank you. They also have access to a lot of other free logs and asked me for a list of what I wanted.  ;D Also turns out the son is a wood turner and has an interest in turning blanks for bowls. ;D So a good hookup on both sides. It wasn't a lot of lumber, but it was what they needed. I even got a photo this time.

Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

doc henderson

My uncle Jerry and his fishing buddy Randy came to get some 2x4s so he can add onto his shed at his firewood lot.  metal roof and sidewalls.

about 25 fourteen foot 2 x 4s.

This guy used to work for a builder, now is a city inspector, but wanted some walnut to make a custom counter top with Hickory, cherry, as well as walnut he got from me.  he stopped by to show me, after a preview with the owner.  he is planning to run it through a big sander.  He is bringing me several walnut logs.  he got 60 bf of seasoned wood at 7% MC.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

RichTired

Hey Doc, are you sure that is a "Happy Customer"!  :D

Or is he just showing his "Inspector" poker face...  ;D
Wood-Mizer LT15GO, Kubota L2800, Husqvarna 268 & Stihl 241 C-M chainsaws, Logrite cant hook, Ford F-150 Fx4

Richard

doc henderson

both! :D  he is a quiet guy, and not prone to having his pic taken I think.  He is a friend of a friend.  I thought it was nice of him to stop by.  
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Jim_Rogers

Yesterday's second happy customer came over to pick up a mantle.

He selected a 2x6x10 piece of red oak for his mantle.

Today's first happy customer came by to get some 1x12x12 pine boards for concrete form work at his job site.
Luckily I had some in inventory.
Jim Rogers

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

WV Sawmiller

Jim,

I love it when they come to get a mantel and tell me they just want a standard size one. ::) ::) That tells me they want one somewhere between 1 to 8 inches thick and from 6-20+ inches wide, and with either a perfect finish or the widest cracks, knots and splits imaginable and from 4-10 ft long. I had one guy who wanted a 23" wide LE front and anything but Walnut because it was too dark. As soon as he walked up he spotted a 16-17 inch wide X 2" thick walnut board I had moved to restack and had not put back up and immediately said "That's the one I want." I was able to get him a nice walnut 2X8 and he was fine with joining them.

One tip I picked up from visiting Poston was to give/save the customer a thin strip off the same cant the mantel came from so they can use it for testing different stains if they are staining it. I do often suggest they keep the extra length for corbels.

I love it when I see a happy customer leaving even when I realize the time spent was probably excessive for the actual value of what they bought. Keep them posts a'coming.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Jim_Rogers

Today's second happy customer came over to get a piece of red oak for his project. He ended up getting a length of Ash and some pine boards for making some raised garden beds.
Thanks Jon.

Jim Rogers

Jim_Rogers

Today's happy customer came over to get some 1x12x8 for some ground level raised garden beds.

This is the first time I saw them loaded like this:

But whatever works is ok with me.
Thanks Steven from Marblehead, MA.

Jim Rogers

RichTired

Well he does have a rack on top.  I have seen many people load boards from the big box stores right on their car tops.  Sometimes they even put something between the car top and the boards...
I have also seen ladders and the all time winner, mattress and box springs.  :D
Wood-Mizer LT15GO, Kubota L2800, Husqvarna 268 & Stihl 241 C-M chainsaws, Logrite cant hook, Ford F-150 Fx4

Richard

doc henderson

doc henderson

My buddy Jim and his son Zane brought over a Mom "pinteresty" project.  Megan took apart a hutch, turned it upside down to make a "dresser"  for their bedroom.  She refused all help from anyone, I was told, until  it came to fabricating the top, and making a fix for what was the underside of the bottom shelf, now the top shelf.  had some wood in the container at 8% and 22 inches wide.  thought it was a stack of oak, May have been ash.  @Southside   :D

made the top and insert for the shelf below.  used a simple round over to match the simple profile present on the piece.  note the crown molding on the bottom.  DanG Pinterest.

WDH

Southside is fixated, every tree is an ash ;D. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

terrifictimbersllc

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Jim_Rogers

Yesterday's happy customer came by to get some dry pine boards for his shed. Got what he wanted and some sticker stock for battens as well.
He was a returning customer. An out of work fisherman.
He said he'd be back for more.

Jim Rogers

doc henderson

I got some pickes from nurse Gabe, from Wichita.  we milled the proverbial maple oak @Southside for his basement beams.  he had lots of question about stairs.  I copied some pages from a book and told him a few tricks of the trade.  he sent me this.

He and more importantly, his wife, are very happy.  seems they like wood, and of course they got it for a good price.   :)

doc henderson

My cardiologist buddy on a day off.  was going to even up an oak log with a router sled.  had him squared away in a few minutes.  He looks a little dorky but does jujitsu so I did not say much.  even gave him a 1/4 inch cookie to hang on the wall.  the big one will be a table.

doc henderson

also had a PA from work come with his family.  got some ash out and ripped into some baseboard and window/door trim.  he is finishing his garage and has most of the sheetrock done.

and a pediatric colleague, sent her husband to get some cookies for some firepit tables.

these are pine, and I forgot to take a picture so he sent me one in their backyard.  busy couple days.

doc henderson

forgot to mention, the est. weight of the locust was about 5600 pounds.  I set it "gently" on the deck but it slid sideways, and off the blocking.  guess I need a strap like custom sawyer.  I also got the crescent tool for pulling nails after out last trip to Georgia.  and saw Jake's in action.

guess this could have gone on the did something stupid thread.   :D  .  I had 3 in the shop.

Crusarius

Looks like you need some diagonal bracing on those. Wow. never seen a failure like that before.

doc henderson

I plant the jack (6 of them) on 2 inch blocks to keep them out of the mud.    I gave a nudge and with the 5600 pound log, slid sideways and then off the blocks.  log was at the limit of the max for the mill.  I know Jake had steaks and straps to keep his mill from moving sideways.  could have been worse.

Crusarius

ahh .that makes sense. if it wasn't on the blocks it would have been fine I bet.

Jim_Rogers

I tried putting my mill up on blocks once at a job site to level it out.
and it fell off the blocks.
the decal on the mill shows either putting it up on blocks or digging out the area of the pad to level the mill.
Since it fell off I always carry a round point shovel to dig out for the pads.

Jim Rogers

WV Sawmiller

I mostly go the other route and take along several 2X6 on 2X8 cut-offs to put under the landing gear rather than digging in. I often put a 6x6 or 6-8 inch 12" diameter cookie cut off under the rear landing gear. I take 3-4 2' to 3' long 1X6's to drive the low side tire up on to more level the mill side to side. I have had problems digging in the landing gear especially in winter. Rain causes the mud to fill in the hole which then freezes and I have to take a spud bar to chip it free. I am using the factory landing gear from WM.

I have knocked the mill off the blocks when loading a heavy log but never damaged anything. I take along an old bumper jack to lift and level the mill when the jacks aren't enough. 
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

doc henderson

got a pic of the mailbox holder out of ERC.  I told him I forgot to get a "happy customer"  pic when we were done milling.  Here is Kendall (IT at the hospital)and his Troop 1 eagle scout son, with the resulting stand.  

here is the start of another.  Roger is our ED pharmacist.  we milled some honey locust.  he did the joinery, and returned for some house numbers.  

more pics when finished.  they like rustic.  rough sawn, no finish yet, and as some warned, it is "moving around like a prostitute in church!"  cleaned up a bit! :D

Walnut Beast

Thank You Sponsors!