iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

West Coast Logging

Started by adirondacker, October 27, 2019, 06:52:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

adirondacker

To all of you gentlemen that have done this or have a friend, relative, etc. In helicopter logging with the Sikorsky Sky Crane....I realize the lift cable is attached to fuselage ,etc. etc.
My question is......the cockpit crew obviously operate everything, BUT what happens if the load does not let go. How is the lift cable detached or destroyed. I cannot find out this anywhere. I know in setting towers , the crew slacks off tension and then must be some little electric motors, etc. release the lift pins. BUT. What if something goes wrong, the chopper obviously cannot get away or set down...how is that lift cable untethered or destroyed. I would appreciate answers from logging crews or from tower constructors. It is absolutely fascinating work.
Thank you

sawguy21

The belly hook has an electric release controlled by the rearward facing loadmaster in the case of the Sky Crane, the pilots can't see the load. The pilot controls it on smaller aircraft. Loads can and do snag, the crew has to be on the ball.
You are right, it is fascinating work. Helilogging is done with an electrically controlled grapple or hook and chokers, the latter requires a ground crew or 'hookers' to attach the load. This has to be the most dangerous position on the job! We lost a guy when the log slipped out of the choker and cartwheeled across the landing.
Our crew was removing a tower, they had wrapped a choker around the base then the helicopter slowly lifted sliding it up to the cross arms. Unfortunatelly the crew had unbolted the base first, the choker snagged lifting the tower which toppled. The 3/4" choker snapped, the pilot said he saw the hook go by the windshield, the rotor blades cut the cable into 3 pieces. They landed safely but everybody needed fresh laundry!
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Thank You Sponsors!