iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timberjack 200 series

Started by Jwinter, October 16, 2004, 08:52:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

treefarmer87

i agree with swamp donkey, they dont make skidders like they used to. the smallest cable machine is a 540GIII which is over $100,000. the ones made by the companys are BIG and made to drag "an acres worth of trees in one drag". they dont make the little cable skidders for tight selective thinning anymore. as far as TJs go i like a 230D and 240
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

sharp-shod

Horselogger,

Unless you really want to give up the horses - get a forwarder. Nice combo in the woods - keeps your team's skid short , gives you something to pull down hangers with, help with directional falling, keep the logs a little cleaner and just might get that freighted out tri-axle out of the mud.

If you are serious about using a team you gotta make a sledge or a wheeled gig to get your logs off the ground. A forwarder can almost eliminate the neccessity for anything but chain skidding. Hope you have a swivel clevis or when those logs roll when being moved on a slope you are gonna have the whippletrees and tugs all wound up on your team's hocks.

Please let me know what you decide to do - you have an opportunity for an experience in the woods that few of us have ever known. Take care of those hosses - enjoy them, use them decent - they are flesh and bone - not of steel.

Good luck - keep your tugs tight. 

beenthere

Quote from: oldman1922 on November 14, 2010, 07:31:24 PM
Hi Just wondering if you ever sold the the Timberjack 205. If not give me a call.  902 687 3338

Welcome to the forum.
Note that you dug up an old 5-year old thread, and Horselogger and others contributing to the thread may not be involved as they were at that time. Those were some good-old days however.  ;)
Send sealdiver a PM to make a quick connection.  Then you don't have to post your tele. no. for the world to see.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

rputt.tj200

I believe that Sealdiver sold that Timberjack 200 to Scott, another member in this forum.  I bought it from Scott 4 years ago.  It is currently in my garage in the process of a complete rebuild.  That was the history given when I bought the machine.   

SwampDonkey

Is that the young fella in Saint John (Scott)?
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

loggit

Seal diver   We also own a 1962 Timberjack model 200. It has a 4 cyl. ford industrial engine in it. We just overhauled the engine. We have owned it for 25-30 yrs.

Many years ago the Timberjack Co. in Ontario was looking for the oldest working skidder to put on display. Well we got the twinkle in our eyes thinking we had a valuable antique. My father called up there and they (at the time) said sorry we are looking for a 1961, the first year that they came out.  :-[  So we just had an oldie. Its not our main skidder but does work ok as backup on small jobs.

When we bought ours, from an individual who went thru a TJ dealer here in upstate NY, we paid $6,500 for it way back then. Probably not worth as much now tho.

We also tried to get a manual for it but they said there weren't any left that far back. I would be interested in your manual or if there was a way to copy it somehow. Right now we are putting some center pins and bushings in it. Could use a manual for some of the things we are fixing on it.

loggit

rputt  oh missed your post... do you still have it with a manual??

Mark K

Welcome to the forum loggit. Nice to have a neighbor on board, was wondering how long it was going to be before you joined. I can vouch for your old TJ, it's a tough old bugger.
Husky 372's-385's,576, 2100
Treefarmer C7D
Franklin 405
Belsaw m-14 sawmill

rputt.tj200

Yes, Scott was in Saint John, younger fella in his twenties.  Loggit,  I also have a complete parts manual and a separate service manual for the machine.  Let me know if I can help with anything, glad to see that I am not the only one still keeping these machines running.  I still have the machine and I am looking forward to using it in the future. 

loggit

rputt    Yes I'm glad to have found someone who owns one of these old skidders. I was so excited about it thats why I forgot to read all the posts originally and had to respond.

We have a John Deere but do actually work our TJ200 also. Its been a good dependable machine for us over the years. So much so my wife says we can't sell it  :).

I've always thought about restoring it like yours, right now we are also overhauling the JD so I need this one to get by. Once we let it set for 2 solid years, stuck a battery and gas in it and she fired and ran first turnover much to our surprise.

Well I will definitely be in touch and appreciate your offer immensely. I'm sure you will get lots of use out of yours.

Hey Mark.... well you I couldn't resist finding out about these 200's   Carl

Okrafarmer

We are looking at a 208 nearby. Does anyone know anything about the weight of this machine for trailering?

What else can you tell us about the 208?
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Thank You Sponsors!