iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bill rake sawmill design question

Started by Kwill, April 28, 2016, 10:25:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kwill

Got a question for those who have built the bill rake design sawmill. This is how the engine is mounted.

Do you have any problems with the engine being mounted off to one side? I was thinking about mounting mine in the middle like most sawmills. Any feed back or suggestions?
Built my own hydraulic splitter
Built my own outdoor wood stove
Built my own log arch
built my own bandsaw sawmill
Built my own atv log arch.
Built my own FEL grapple

Kbeitz

I tried to keep my weight balanced. I also added winch, lift motor and a alternator to the carriage.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Ox

Mine is kinda off center like that.  As long as it's inboard from the carriage wheels it'll be ok.  No problems or weird feeling stuff.  Can't see where it'll hurt anything one way or another.  Balanced is usually better, if only for aesthetics.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Kwill

Yeah I think mom going to try and center it up.
Built my own hydraulic splitter
Built my own outdoor wood stove
Built my own log arch
built my own bandsaw sawmill
Built my own atv log arch.
Built my own FEL grapple

szczepan4069

Hi, this is really my first post to this forum....and i have a particular interest in DIY Bandsaw Mills. From the pics - my only question would be related to the driving wheel you have chosen to connect the engine to. My understanding is that (depending on which way your wheels are turning), the engine is best driving the wheel that "pulls" the blade through the log as opposed to "pushing" the blade through the log. More efficient and there is less chance of the blade sticking and creating problems for you in the long run. Hope that helps....regards

Kbeitz

Quote from: szczepan4069 on May 05, 2016, 12:56:18 AM
Hi, this is really my first post to this forum....and i have a particular interest in DIY Bandsaw Mills. From the pics - my only question would be related to the driving wheel you have chosen to connect the engine to. My understanding is that (depending on which way your wheels are turning), the engine is best driving the wheel that "pulls" the blade through the log as opposed to "pushing" the blade through the log. More efficient and there is less chance of the blade sticking and creating problems for you in the long run. Hope that helps....regards

Looks like it's running the right way to me. Faceing the picture the engine shaft is turning counter clockwise.
That would be pulling the blade not pushing it. It is like my mill where you need to flip the blades inside out.
Every blade I get is flipped the wrong way for my mill.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

szczepan4069

Kbeitz...many thanks...my error. I forgot to notice where the sawdust was on the ground. I am so used to seeing the engine driving the other wheel....as viewed from the rear (engine side of the machine)....i'm partly through my own build...so viewing everyone else's mill builds is very inspiring.

Thank You Sponsors!