iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tire chains?? Trigg vs. Babec

Started by PaYoungBuck, November 05, 2013, 09:27:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaYoungBuck

I will be purchasing a new set of multi ring chains for my skidder very soon. Looking for input on the 2 brands. Trigg are $200 more for the set. Both are at the same dealer. Trigg are 3/4 chain and Babec are 5/8. I've had Babec in the past but tr dealer said he sells more trigg and also recommends them. Any input??

cutter88

I run 3/4 ring chain in the summer and 3/4 double dimond ice chains in the winter on 24.5x 32 tires
Romans 10 vs 9 
650G lgp Deere , 640D deere, 644B deere loader, 247B cat, 4290 spit fire , home made fire wood processor, 2008 dodge diesel  and a bunch of huskys and jonsereds (IN MEMORY OF BARRY ROGERSON)

Ed_K

Take a look at TCR (tire chains required) free shipping.
Ed K

Ken

I am also shopping for a set of new double diamond chains for my 30.5 x 32 porter tires.  I'm interested in hearing what others are saying about the different brands.  Thanks Ed_K I checked out TCR as well.
Lots of toys for working in the bush

PaYoungBuck

Thanks will check out the site. We don't get jobs froze in very often around here so the ring chains seem to be the best all around.

Ed_K

You'd be supprised at the ride you'd get with diamond chains on back.I run them on back and rings on front.I think i get better traction with the diamonds.
Ed K

snowstorm

i bought a set of trigg ring chains many years ago they stood up real well. the barbecs are made in winslow me

David-L

TCR, free shipping, same steel as Babac minus one set of studs on the single net diamond. On my light cable skidder ( 225 Timberjack ) rings on the front and diamonds on the back and it will go just about anywhere I point it. I went with the 5/8's and they are wearing well.

David-l
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

jwilly3879

If you are thinking of buying from TCR place your order over the phone. They charge more for online orders. I found this out after purchasing a set of tight rings online. They would have been several hundred cheaper by phone.

PaYoungBuck

I can get the triggs for about 200 less at my dealer then tcr. And the Babec are 200 less then the triggs. Looking around $2250 for the triggs for 23.1x26

CuddleBugFirewood

Just curious, what type of tire chains does everyone run on their skidder and in what configuration?   all 4 tires the same type?  ...or do you put 2 rings and 2 ice chains?

I have 1 pair of standard ring chains that came with the machine, and I have them on the back.  The really help out in the mud and snow, but they are rough riding on solid ground, so I usually only put them on in the winter.  I was thinking about picking up another set for the front, as the front end likes to slide around a little.

PAFaller

They are spelled Trygg. Norwegian made I believe and hold up great. The ice chains are not a diamand pattern, they make more of a hexagon and offer more tire protection as well as being more aggressive than Babacs. Furthermore, the links are twisted and the studs welded on so they stand up and bite better. Babacs, despite there advertising, will wear unevenly.  I run trygg tight rings on the front year round and trygg studs on the rear in the ice. This time of year the rings help in the brush and unpacked snow but are useless on a hard frozen road. They dont dig in at all. And to whomever posted about the ride being rough, that is because the standard or economy ring chains dont have a tight enough pattern to offer a smoother ride, so you get a bit of a bump every time the ring goes under the tire. You get what you pay for, spend the extra from the get go for the tight rings.
It ain't easy...

Ken

We just put on a new set of Trygg net link double diamond stud chains on 30.5 x 32 tires.  Although they do seem to offer very good traction I've only had them on for a week so can't yet comment on their durability.   Time will tell.
Lots of toys for working in the bush

coxy

single diamond on all 4  if it in the summer I run them lose to clean them winter run them pretty tight as my tires are as smooth as window glass     they are babec

Maine logger88

I have a set of 1.5 diamond babecs on the front of my 540b and a set of worn out double diamonds on the back which I don't know what brand they are but are better than nothing I bought the 1.5 diamonds back in 2010 and they seem to be wearing well. I have 4 economy ring chains on my 225 not my first choice it's just what it came with and as pa said they ride really rough and hard going if I ever get ahead enough I'm going to buy 4 new single diamond babecs for it I have also run a couple skidders with trygg and they work very well I just like the babecs cause there made in Maine and I try to buy American when I reasonally can

79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

Thank You Sponsors!