iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Door building

Started by fishfighter, September 28, 2016, 01:38:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishfighter

Got a question on building doors out of kind of green lumber. I thinking of using some oak, ship lap for the inserts, boards to be planed down to 3/4"x6" wide, border by 2x6's. I will leave the insert free float, then once dried, I will come back a nail the inserts in place. These doors will be hung on a track system. They going to be on the heavy side.

I don't thing the insert boards will crack, but will shrink some for sure. Any other problems I should look for?

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

btulloh

x2.  Especially oak.  You might be able to almost sort of kind of get away with green lumber for the field in a frame and panel door, but certainly not the frame.  Even a z-brace door with shiplap verticals would probably end up badly. 
HM126

Texas Ranger

I used to build doors of the home type, and some of the dried wood we were getting would corkscrew after sizing the styles and rails.  Internal compression is a ghost that haunts us.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

fishfighter

Quote from: Texas Ranger on September 28, 2016, 04:48:29 PM

I used to build doors of the home type, and some of the dried wood we were getting would corkscrew after sizing the styles and rails.  Internal compression is a ghost that haunts us.

Thanks. The more I got to thinking about that, the more I knew that would effect things.

I do have a bunch of dry 2x6 and 8's along with some dry 1x 8's. Just have to clean them up.

Thank You Sponsors!