iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

30' Poplar 3"by12"

Started by fencerowphil (Phil L.), August 01, 2007, 09:57:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fencerowphil (Phil L.)

"best laid plans of mice and men" smiley_contract_point

This job went well enough, but nothing like the plan.

Heavy lifting equipment?   No, just a worn out tractor.
Carry the lumber by machine straight to stack?  No. Customer didn't prepare that.
Take off boards as sawn by machine?    No. Just slid them off the end and onto bearers on the ground.
Or put the boards right on a trailer.   No.  Customer just planned to lasso a bunch and drag them off.

Well, maybe we can use the fancy-shmancy plan next time.   Good that God made man flexible and adaptive, huh?

Phil L.
Bi-VacAtional:  Piano tuner and sawyer.  (Use one to take a vacation from the other.) Have two Stihl 090s, one Stihl 075, Echo CS8000, Echo 346,  two Homely-ite 27AVs, Peterson 10" Swingblade Winch Production Frame, 36" and 54"Alaskan mills, and a sore back.

WDH

Adapt, improvise, and overcome ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

fencerowphil (Phil L.)

Span between posts = 38 feet.

I borrowed this sketch from Tom's Gallery.   As I understand it, the guy (for
whom I cut the 30-footers) plans to immitate this design, but will add steel
cables down low as tension members across the truss.   Instead of the
long rafters being 2X8x as in Tom's friend's design, they are 2X12s.
Depending on the pitch my customer chooses, the span could be ...

well,  uh...

quite a ways! :D

Phil L.
Bi-VacAtional:  Piano tuner and sawyer.  (Use one to take a vacation from the other.) Have two Stihl 090s, one Stihl 075, Echo CS8000, Echo 346,  two Homely-ite 27AVs, Peterson 10" Swingblade Winch Production Frame, 36" and 54"Alaskan mills, and a sore back.

Thank You Sponsors!