Sponsors:

Sawmill satisfaction poll

Started by Jeff, November 29, 2003, 10:18:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Bibbyman

Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Jeff

I had to add an option for me, I dont own a mill. :D

Corley5

To change do I have to get rid of what I've got now or can I just add to my inventory? ;D
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Fla._Deadheader

All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Jeff

Why?  You got a home-mizer. If you could change would you? Its perty easy.

Fla._Deadheader

ohhhhhhhh  I side wiff Corley5, I just wanna diffarunt kind, and keep this 'un too ::)

First, it is ridiculed;

kentuckyboy

smwwoody

I want same builder differnt type   ???
where do I vote   ???
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

Jeff

hiya

Have a homemade band and am working on a horzonal circle. Something on the order of a swing, Buuuttt it don't swing
RichardinMd.

MemphisLogger

BIGGER

MORE ORANGE

and

less rust

;D
Scott Banbury, Urban logger since 2002--Custom Woodworker since 1990. Running a Woodmizer LT-30, a flock of Huskies and a herd of Toy 4x4s Midtown Logging and Lumber Company at www.scottbanbury.com

pasbuild

Happy with the mill I just need to get rid of that Honda 20 that just will not run right.
If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

Brian_Bailey

I would like to add a Meadows #2 portable circle mill for cutting that snotty softwood siding.  Keep the Mizer for the high quality hardwoods.
WMLT40HDG35, Nyle L-150 DH Kiln, now all I need is some logs and someone to do the work :)

Paul_H

I really want to add a band resaw.Well built and dirt cheap.

Free would be ok,too
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

isawlogs

A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Stan

Jeff, run down to the hardware and pick up one of them gadgets that use a 2x4 to guide your chainsaw. You don't have to use it, but then you can vote that you want a better mill.  8)
I may have been born on a turnip truck, but I didn't just fall off.

Jeff

Stan, the mill I run everyday sure cuts wood, but it aint mine but it thinks it is. Every time I leave it for a day to somebody else it throws a fit.

RevCant

How about this for fantasy land.  A Peterson type swinger that is actually made in the USA mounted on a trailer with WM type hydraulics for log loading.  

If cows could only tail....

Brian_Bailey

Hey RevCant,  

Fantasy land is only a few hundred miles north of ya.  

www.doublecut.com
WMLT40HDG35, Nyle L-150 DH Kiln, now all I need is some logs and someone to do the work :)

Frank_Pender

Well, I just voted. ;D  What do you think I said?  Right!!!!!  I am not changeing.  I woon will have Mobile Dimension Mills in my possession.  "Yeow, Wow", as Sam the Firefly once said.  Besides, if I need someing that I am unable to dow with any one of the three or am too lazt, I just get Loren to do it for me. :D :D
Frank Pender

DanG

I wouldn't switch from Mobile Dimension, but I'd like to add a bandmill someday, to do the stuff that is difficult now.  Every type has its limitations, so the more types you have, the less limitations you have. :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Bill_B

I don't have a mill but my brother has a procut chainsaw mill that we used last summer.
Now his son has a lt15. This is a nice mill.
Bill B

dan-l-b

Kevin_H.

Same color, same payments...More Power.
Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

Wes

ORANGE chainsaw & ORANGE sawmill

MrMoo

Kirk_Allen

My minor complaints with my WM were cured during my last visit.
1. Logs would hang on the dogs:  
Solution - WM now has wheels and stainless covers for the dogs!  WOW what a difference.

2. Blade guide system failed to stop the blade from downward drift.
Solution - WM has a new Blade guide system that works great!

I would only go to a bigger WM with both Yellow (65 hp cat) and Orange!

Although I am open minded I have not been convinced that any other band mill is better overall than a WM.  

Hope that statement doesnt upset anyone.  Its just my personal observation and opinoin.  ;D

SawInIt CA

I am happy with Orange but would like to add a swinger to break down the big ones.

woodmills1

Propose new category:  Have orange won't change but might add something else. :D
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Sven Christiansen

Gee... Some of you guys have me blushing...

And those 20-some of you that don't own a mill... We need to talk!

Sven Christiansen
Wood-Mizer

Keltic

I don't have a mill, interested in experiences with LT 15 or Norwood, thanks FMK

Frickman

I voted that I would keep the same mill, Frick circle. However, I would like to add a second mill, a portable bandmill.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

Corley5

I agree with Frickman.  I wouldn't think of giving up my Corley #5 but an orange bandmill on wheels ;D would sure be nice

Stan

Ok Sven, to open negotiations, I'd be willin' to take one of your mills, if'n you were willin' to take one dollar.  ;)

SawBilly

I have a red one...and it pulls the boards back to me, true one man operation !!! and it didn't cost as much as that big orangey one with the fingers on it.

Sven Christiansen

QuoteOk Sven, to open negotiations, I'd be willin' to take one of your mills, if'n you were willin' to take one dollar.  ;)
Since we're negotiating, I'll take your dollar and provide you a photo of a mill...

Now, if you want a functioning mill, I'll need a few more dollars...

Sven Christiansen
Wood-Mizer

ronwood

The gentleman that I do most of my sawing for has a Kasco bandsaw, Lucas 6 in. and he just bought a Corey with a top blade. With all those saws he still keeps my Woodmizer busy.

Sven,

I will trade you even LT40HG25 2003 for that LT70   :D :D :D
Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

Sven Christiansen

Hey guys,

Just thought I should tell you to make your serious offers quickly ;).  Tomorrow (Friday) is my last day at Wood-Mizer. I'm going to try something completely different.

Always remember, stay orange!

Sven Christiansen
Wood-Mizer

Tom

Well Sven, I hope that if you take the logo off of your profile you will not leave the Forestry Forum.  Regardless of what it is that you try next, there is always a seat here next to the stove. :) :)

Sven Christiansen

QuoteWell Sven, I hope that if you take the logo off of your profile you will not leave the Forestry Forum.  Regardless of what it is that you try next, there is always a seat here next to the stove. :) :)
Just because I'm leaving WM doesn't mean I'm no longer orange...

And I'll certainly hang around here.  You guys are, uh, fun...

Sven Christiansen
Wood-Mizer

ronwood

Sven,

What is your new adventure going to be?
Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

Jeff

He'll be here. I got his home address and Nobles got dead armadillos. If he comes up missing for to long a time, well send him a welcome back note. ;D

Bibbyman

Well, Sven, (or Seven – as I've heard it pronounced by some of your Wood-Mizer friends at the home office. ;D ) ...

I'm glad you're going to keep hanging out here.  You've not made hundreds of posts but you've made a lot of valuable ones where they counted. I hope someone in WM picks up the chore of giving us the "official" WM response.

Good luck on your new adventure and remember... If you need help,  counseling, or just a recipe for grits,  you know where to come.  Collectively,  we know everything and what we don't we can make up.

Sawing since '94

Ed_K

Jeff,  I need line # 5.

Wouldn't change manufacturer's but I WANT a bigger mill :D.

I was happy with my mill, till I tailed for a friend with a big TimberHarvester 8). I do like the blue mills tho :D.
Ed
Ed K

isawlogs

Sven,...
  Good luck on what ever adventure your going to. Hope it works out for you .
    Bonne chance.....  
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Fla._Deadheader

I'm sure y'all have noticed, that all the sponsors on this forum are NOT but-in types, but, very friendly and always willing to throw in some very useful advice, AND, always trying to help with any problems.

THAT'S what Sponsors should do, and Sven, even though "Homey" ain't Orange, It's good to read the ideas you provide to others. Thanks
   First, it is ridiculed;

Kevin_H.

Hey Sven, Good luck in what ever you are doing, Sure was nice to know that someone from WM was reading this forum.

Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

ARKANSAWYER

What I need is two more heads for my WM.   I need one without the band stuff and add a large chainsaw bar like 80 inches long that I could saw slabs with.  Since there is not any thing on one side then it could stick out there.   Then another head with a swing blade set up that rides up and down my rails.  That would allow me to do power poles and not cry so much about the nails.  I could park the heads I do not need on the extension and use what will do the best job.  The hydralics would really help and I could still be portable.   Just think I could sling, slab and saw all on the same log. 8) 8) 8) 8)  Maybe I should submit this Ideal to WM.  Just remember that you heard it here first.
ARKANSAWYER
ARKANSAWYER

Bibbyman

I've always thought a small fabrication/machine shop could make a good business building upgrades and mods for Wood-Mizer mills.

But Arky, I've got one question about your multi-head WM idea – How do you plan to park two heads on the extension when you use head #2 or #3?   ???
Sawing since '94

Kevin

Bib;
You can put that gun down now, you're among friends here.  :D

Bibbyman

Better to be packin' and not need it than to need it and not have it... :D
Sawing since '94

woodmills1

Hey how bout this.  Get one or more extensions for the woodmizer.  Put the regular head on the regular end regular handed.  Then way down on the other end park the chainsaw slabber wrong ended and backhanded soin you could run it and the regular head when ever ya wanted.  That would work though you would have removal and installation problems to get that third, the swinger set.  Unless of course the swinger could be easily hung in place of the slabber.  DanG wish I had one of those circled c copywrite protection thingies. :D :D
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Jeff

I know something that I would like to add, but the only thing I will say is that patent has been applied for on a swinger/band-resaw machine. Someday somewhere we should know more. :)

woodmills1

Big three place rotating head like those old pinwheel clamping systems.  Rotate in the head of your choice. :D

Stan

Tell the truth Sven, what you want is a fist full of hundred dollars.

iain

ive just cut a load of timber for a local body sprayer
going to suggest he sprays my lt40hd (would like super)
raceing green with gold flecks in it that changes to peacock blue and gold as you walk passed it  
i know what the answear will be but am going to ask any way

Paul_H

Welcome iain.

What do you mill mostly over there?Can you post any pictures for us?
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

iain

the past couple of months urban ash and urban oak for my self
i've got to much spread around the place
and for customers beech,oak ash, yew red larch and scots pine  in no order
pics when i get every thing set up (computer wise)

whitepe

I'd still stick with an Orange dog but I want one of those
big ones.  You know for the my dog's bigger than your
dog braggin rights.  If/when I trade up from my LT15,
I want a hydraulic mill. It's nice to know that the LT15's
have good resale value. The LT15 is kind of like
Jeff's dog Scooter.  Small but ferocious!  ;D
blue by day, orange by night and green in between

Jeff

iain

i like my orange and the colour makes it easy to find
but i would also like a swinger couse i've got lots of spalted beech laying around the country side and a fair bit of it is not easy to get at with the orange or extractoin equip but boards are lighter and if the figureing is good then its very cost effective especially if your the end user  

whitepe

Jeff,
Is there a Scooter held overhead video anywhere on the forum.  :D
PEW
 Â 
blue by day, orange by night and green in between

Jeff

Sawyerfortyish

I wouldn't change mills I have a Frick circle mill and I like it. But where do I vote to get more help to run it? ;)

shopteacher

They make mills other than orange? Who would have thunk.
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

woodrat

Well, I just went through a whole round of parts replacement on my tired old woodmizer, so I kind of need to keep it for another 2500 hours to get my $ back! But I do wish it a) were longer, b) cut wider c) had a better turner and clamp. I looked into the Cutting Edge in Canada, but it would cut down the portability and ease of getting into tight spots. Maybe I just need a big old Mobile D here at home for the fatties, and making cants.  ::)   Nice forum here, just discovered it recently, don't know how I missed it!

Mark
1996 Woodmizer LT40HD
Yanmar 3220D and MF 253
Wallenstein FX 65 logging winch
Husky 61, 272XP, 372XP, 346XP, 353
Stihl 036, 046 with Lewis Winch
78 Chevy C30 dump truck, 80 Ford F350 4x4
35 ton firewood splitter
Eastonmade 22-28 splitter and conveyor
and ...lots of other junk...

woodrat

Oops! Need to resize that pic! Hope that this is better!
 :-/

mark
1996 Woodmizer LT40HD
Yanmar 3220D and MF 253
35 ton firewood splitter

woodrat

Oops again! Ok, try again!

:-/ :P ::)

Mark
1996 Woodmizer LT40HD
Yanmar 3220D and MF 253
35 ton firewood splitter

Jeff

duke401

i wonder how many of the people that would change saw type.as a percentage would change from band to blade or blade to band.
duke

KiwiJake

Duke, that poll would only work if everyone was able to have a go on both 8). But that's a god question.

duke401

kiwi
 Â i was just talking about the 14 people that would change. i was wondering witch way they would go.
duke

Dugsaws

wouldnt change from my red machine (Timber Harvester), but would like to get the circle mill that is in storage set up and runnin, cant remember ifin it is a frick or american
Doug

Wes

I clicked on change to circle,becouse they mill faster than my bandmill,sometimes my helpers get Board with the band mill.

But I would KEEP my orange machine as they both have their advantages

RevCant

This is a hard one.  I'm changing my vote.  I like the swing blade (Peterson) and its particular sawing advantages.  But its been a long year in learning how to take advantage of some of its features, and at the same time learning how to overcome its deficits.  It would have been easier if I hadn't used any many before, but I'd been a WM owner for 8 years before I switched over.  I'm now content to say I'd keep the sawmill, as long as I can stay away from a run of logs under 10".  I'm still wondering about the company.  They're some of the nicest people I've dealt with, but it is hard to compare anyone to WM.  They are definately the tops in customer service.  I've had a tech from WM under my LT40 at sunset changing out bearings and then turn around and not send the bill, (no, I won't devulge his name ;D).  So, a company half a world a way is always going to fall short without a USA distributor/service center.  You folks at Peterson need to look at a log handling package, too.  Any way, I felt I should explain the change in the totals.
If cows could only tail....

big_sid

:D why change when you own the best? wood-mizer all the way!   ;D
never been so happy to be so broke

Buzz-sawyer

I still LOVE my circle mill because....

ease of operation...blade just runs...no constant changing of blades...

no constant tweekin to get through knots or ''Stubborn" material.....the big saw just eats it UP weather pine or hedge(Osage orange)

stay sharp LONG time....

cuts extremely fast....

makes plenty of useful sawdust...

inexpensive to buy...

2 man operation can easily cut 8000-10,000 feet a shift(10-12 hrs) on a manual mill

cuts neat and economical construction grade lumber fast....

cuts cross ties real fast

can be used to cut some grade lumber when needed on occassion

I will be building a verticle bandmill to add behind my 56'' headsaw...using the same carriage.....I like them also ......but I over all REALLY like my pre W.W. 2 manual sawmill
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

KiwiJake

Hey Revcant, what do you mean by log handling package, "hydraulic log loader" or "log clamping system"?
Just curious.

Corley5

8-10,000 BDFT in 12hrs with two men?  You must need a 3rd to carry the 2 away at the end of the shift :D

Buzz-sawyer

I prefer to be the guy carrying the two wooped workers away!!!!
 8) 8) 8) 8)
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Sawyerfortyish

Corley I'm cuttin 4000 ft and I only have help til noon. Don't cut it every day but have cut as much as 10,000 in a day when I have the help if your set up right it's not such a big deal. Two guys to tail and one with a loader to keep the logs coming and the lumber going
 Buzz if your cuttin osage that stuff and locust is about the worst stuff you can throw at a saw it's like cuttin steel almost you cant keep the corners on the bits

Corley5

Enough help is the key.  We've cut 8 in a day but that's pushing it and that's with nice clean straight logs not too big not too small, two guys tailing, Grandpa running the stick and me riding the carriage running the setworks and dogs, the edger running full time and you're tired at the end and there's still clean up to do.  
  When this mill was running production in the 40s and fifties they were putting out 10,000 bdft a day with a crew of 9.  Sawyer, blocksetter, sawman, yardman,two on the edger, two guys tailing and one running the slab saw.  

Buzz-sawyer

Sawyer40
A big part in doin a big day for us is...what we are cutting, and lately that has ben cross ties and the little 6x8 ones...makes a big difference on daily production!....Also we use conveyors for the slabs and the of bearer does not have to pick up the cants or boards to stack em..we use fork lift forks and lower them to a good working level as we go...so ya flip em on the pile (ties cants)
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Sawyerfortyish

Buzz I know what you mean bigger beams really add the footage up quick. All my slabs  waste and cutoffs get shoved in a vibrating conveyer and disapear to the mulch grinder. We do the same thing you do with a forklift to get the lumber or beams out of the way. All the boards that need edging go down a set of rollers to a deck at the edger. If I have enough help we run the edger at the same time if not just pile the boards up on the deck and do it later

Corley5

I seldom saw anything other than 1 or 2 inch stuff.  I did saw some beams for a buddy a while back and it does make a big difference in output.  Way less cuts.  We usually pile up the edge boards next to the edger and run them later also.  What I like to do is saw in the morning,  finish up what's left on the deck if any after lunch, then edge, dispose of the slabs and sawdust and sticker lumber in the afternoon.  Sawdust goes into a manure spreader and is spread on the fields and slabs go on a dump trailer to be dumped outback for firewood or burnt where they lay.  Since I've got a rough terrain forklift now we're going to sticker as we go rather than handling everything again later.  Just pick up the banded stickered pile and put it where I want.

Sawyerfortyish

Recently I cut a lot of skid material 6x6 8x8 10x10 12x12 all 18-20-22' let me tell you there is a lot of footage in a 22' 10x10 or 12x12 you don't need to cut many to make 4 or 5000 ft
 Corley any shortcuts in handling is a plus. Time is money!

Buzz-sawyer

Looks like when your sawin you gotta cut bout19-20 of those 12x12 cants to get 5000 then after lunch 20 more...of course thats not countin side wood...that is another story...

Dont get me wrong I am with you guys I like to save up my edgings till done openig up all the logs...
it is just a totally different task...different mind set,

A lot of the time in the past I would saw alone now that is some work...itll break ya but I still love it...hard to say why...but I LOVE making big sticks into little ones...maybe cause I gotta simple mind and I get into some kinda zone when sawing????
Don
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Buzz-sawyer

HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Stan

DanG

NOOP!  Thread not dead. :)  I post some pretty dismal board footage figures. I have been sawing for the experience as much as for the lumber, so I have been taking my time with each log, and trying to maximize the recovery. Every little corner of each "slab" (what's that!  ???) gets converted into stickers or firring strips, so that my waste pile is almost non-existant. :)  
However, that practice is going to be short-lived. I only have 10 more work days until I "retire", and have to rely on sawmilling and a couple other ventures to make my living.  Then it will be necessary to make my time count for $. There will be times when I don't have a lot to do, so the "training" I've been doing will help me maximize my per-log profits, but there will be busy times when I have to value my time more than the little bit of waste I'm generating. Learning to balance the two will be a challenge. I plan to take the whole transition log by log and board by board, and let the business go where it wants. I just hope it doesn't want to go into the dumper. ::)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

shopteacher

Well DanG, congratulations on reaching retirement ( unless Bush and the other government cronies decide that retirement age needs pushed back to 85 in the next ten days).  Guess now the real work begins.  Anyway here's to a long, safe, prosperous and happy retirement.  Old Butch says to sit back, relax, have one on him then get your a$$ out to sawing.
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

OneWithWood

The next few days are going to fly by!  Best of luck to you with your ventures.  Looking forward to following your adventures.  Now that you will be sawing as a business the trip up to the piggy roast could become a legit business expense  8)
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Frank_Pender

Dang, ther is another one of us retired folks makeing sawdust. 8)  8) 8) 8) Well done Dan G. ;D  I hope you enjoy your retirement as much as I do.  With my three Mobile Dimension Mills.   :P
Frank Pender