iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Band marking

Started by bandmiller2, September 06, 2009, 07:45:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandmiller2

Has anyone found a good safe [for the band] way to mark a band so you know how many times you've sharpened it??Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

amberwood

We grind off a complete tooth. For Silvertips, two resharps, two teeth missing? Don't send them back to be sharpened. Bin them.

DTR
MS460 Magnum
MS250
DAF CF85-430
ASV RC-85 track loader

solidwoods

I haven't tried it but maybe use a vibrating tool engraver.
At the weld move 1 tooth and engrave an X or /.  Move another tooth over at the next sharpening.
I sharpen blades until they break in use.  I've never had an 1.25" wide blade get to be so narrow that the blade guides need to be adjusted .
I've also run 1" wide blades on the mill for a lg. qty. of small dia. logs and narrow cant jobs with a lg. qty.

If I can remember, I'll mark the blade on the mill with my engraver and post the results.
jim

Ret. US Army
Kasco II B Band mill
Woodworking since 83
I mill & kiln dry lumber, build custom furniture, artworks, flooring, etc.
If you mill, you'll be interested in some of my work in one way or another.
We ship from our showroom.
N. Central TN.

WH_Conley

Bill

Chico

An engraver and a tally book ?WE used to punch the big bands with a small punch lightly But with the smaller thin bands I think you could do it on the small ones if you were careful too hard we punched them jut to one side of the butt welds about 3" as most saws if they crack it will be on the butt weld
Chico
My Daughter My sailor MY HERO God Bless all the men and Women fighting for us today If you see one stop and thank them

Dave Shepard

You can also record the number on the band (WM bands) and keep a log.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

backwoods sawyer

I have stamped a center set tooth with a number, but when you start getting into the triple digits it is a bit tight. So went to engraving the band on the out side so that the guides will not affect it. I keep a tally book where I can document the life of the saws, I just use short notes like hit rock and the job name, or ran good and the job name, each saw has its own page in my note book. This allows me to go back and check the history of a saw. I had one saw that had hit metal the first three times out, so that one is kept for logs that could have metal in them.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

MartyParsons

On Wood-Mizer blades the number on the blade will repeat itself. The number will tell the production which metal was used and which welder did the welding etc. It will not tell the hook angle or the set. If you use the WM ReSharp program you will need to engrave the blade with a number of your own choice. We clean the blade in a hot water bath and wire brush. We see the blades marked with marker and the boxes marked. This does not work well. If you send us more than one box at one time the same blades may not make it back in the same box. Some customers also measure the blade at the gullett each time, this works as long as the blade was not abused ( meaning we only had to grind the blade once to get it sharp)
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

Brian_Rhoad

Mark the blade with a number stamp near the weld and keep records in a notebook.

gmmills

I use a spring loaded center punch to make a punch mark on the lower back edge of the inside of the blade just to the left of the weld joint. Each time the blade is sharpened I just add another punch mark next to the previous one. Just count the punch marks to keep track of the number of times the blade has been sharpened. Never had a blade fail near the punch marks. My blades are normally pulled from use because of being too narrow not from blade breakage. 
Custom sawing full-time since 2000. 
WM LT70D62 Remote with Accuset
Sawing since 1995

Banjo picker

Quote from: amberwood on September 06, 2009, 08:02:06 AM
We grind off a complete tooth. For Silvertips, two resharps, two teeth missing? Don't send them back to be sharpened. Bin them.

DTR
smile_banjoman  ???
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Thank You Sponsors!