iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

20 feet container for Klin is it OK

Started by alsayyed, February 11, 2006, 09:56:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alsayyed

Recently I have built my Klin which consists of steel tubing and covered with play wood and I think it OK.
A friend of mine asked me about 20 feet container is it suitable for drying process. What type of modification needed to improve the air circulation inside? From my own experience container gets very hot especially in the summer where temperature get around 120F.
Dose anybody experienced drying using 20 feet container.

Don_Lewis

A refrigerated container will work but don't try to use a regular one and try adding insulation.It is less expensive to buy a reefer.

A 20' container can be used as a 2000 BF kiln

Furby

I'm gonna take a guess that you are thinking about using it as a solar kiln alsayyed?
If you are, I don't see why what you already have would be too much different.

isassi

You know, I will get hammered for this, but if a steel box were painted flat black, in the oklahoma sun, the temps would get unreal inside. Before I understood temp control, I thought about a shipping container and simply painting it black. What i have found is a '30 long insulated moving trailer, and I think I will build a solor collector for the top and flex duct to pipe it in....I wish those containers were cheaper..I could use several.... :D

Ga_Boy

Alsayyed,

I've two 20 foot containers, one is the kiln the other is used for dried material storage.

I was to have posted pictures on Friday, a big snow storm came up on here on the East Coast of the US and I spent Friday gettting ready for two days of snow fall.

I'll venture out there today and take pictures of the interrior workings of the unit.  Mine are home built using components purchased off the shelf from several vendors.   Simple stuff.

Mark
10 Acers in the Blue Ridge Mountains

Thank You Sponsors!