iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Woodmizer klin

Started by steve marek, July 07, 2016, 10:34:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve marek

Does any one use woodmizer solar klin or there drying equipment does it work well
WM LT40HD logrite ach 718 woodmaster timber framing tools 3000 ford tractor 359 395 husky chainsaw woodmizer e50 single blade edger woodmizer 260 moulder 2538 mahindra tractor kd 250 kiln

scsmith42

I have a Woodmizer version of a Nyle L200.  Works great!
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

OneWithWood

I have a WM4000, which is a Nyle 200 with a Honeywell controller.  Easy to use and does a great job.
Don't have any experience with solar kilns.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

steve marek

is there a big learning curve on them or are they user freindly
WM LT40HD logrite ach 718 woodmaster timber framing tools 3000 ford tractor 359 395 husky chainsaw woodmizer e50 single blade edger woodmizer 260 moulder 2538 mahindra tractor kd 250 kiln

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

North Central Technical College in Antigo, which is just a few miles away, has a beginners' class every year in August.  You can learn everything you need to know in order to run a DH kiln efficiently and effectively. 

In WI, the solar kiln is going to run well from April through September, but you might want dry lumber year round.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Den Socling

Steve, Gene is an expert  on the subject. Take his advice and attend the class.

scsmith42

Quote from: steve marek on July 10, 2016, 01:24:07 PM
is there a big learning curve on them or are they user freindly

There is a serious learning curve to any kiln drying process, not just the WM unit.  Ditto's Gene's recommendation about attending class.

steve marek

Do they have the class every year in August I like to attend this year I have prior commitments so I will not able to attend but would like to schedule it for next year if they are having the class

Den Socling

Kiln operator associations often overlap geographically and many hold training to some degree or other. Gene offers the best classes IMO. I used to keep track and post notification of meetings at the top of the page. I'll try to put a little time into that again.

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

The class in Antigo is every year in August.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

scsmith42

Quote from: steve marek on July 13, 2016, 10:38:00 PM
Do they have the class every year in August I like to attend this year I have prior commitments so I will not able to attend but would like to schedule it for next year if they are having the class

Steve, I would suggest that you attend a class before drying any significant quantities of lumber with a kiln.  There are many ways to damage lumber during the drying process, and a class will help you understand the basics. 

Tom the Sawyer

Although most of the classes will have similar titles, and the basics principles of drying are there, classes are not all the same !!!!  I learned the hard way.

Make sure you verify that the class you are considering will be appropriate for the type of kiln you will be using/building/buying.  Driving over 1000 miles, and spending considerable money, to find that the instructor has a 'disdain' for your type of kiln is very frustrating.
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

Thank You Sponsors!