iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

BIRDS

Started by Bro. Noble, December 16, 2004, 10:19:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KEC

Chuck, Let us know if your sumac takes. I think you could just pull a shoot out with some roots on and it will easily transplant. A state DEC biologist I knew did his masters degree study on wild turkeys. He said that a tom can inseminate a hen and she can lay fertile eggs up to a month later. So hens in a big flock can mate, then go off somewhere by themselves to nest.

SwampDonkey

Once you get that sumac growing it will be everywhere.  ffcheesy  It's pretty in the fall though and the berry heads are interesting. The old people collected the berries and made a sort of lemonade with them. There seems to be two sexes with them, so be sure to get several to be sure. I knew an old fella that cut the central stick in one clump that was big enough to make jewelry boxes. Kinda reminds me of butternut wood, but a lot more pores, both are diffuse porous woods. Kinda olive green wood. Both are light weight and soft.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Chuck White

In years, way back the locals would make sap spouts (spiles) out of Sumac.

Really soft wood and very soft pith, they would cut into about 4-5 inch lengths, split them lengthwise, remove the pith, then whittle one end to fit in the drilled hole!

If you can find them nowadays, they are collector items!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

trapper

I saw someone take the pith out with a hot rod at a surip making demo
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Chuck White

Saw my first (of the year) Eastern Bluebird hopping along the rail on the back porch this morning!

We had 32F this morning and now it's 50F, that's an improvement!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

SwampDonkey

40°F here currently and on my walk I saw that old Tom turkey with his girls again.  :thumbsup:  They sure are skittish since we started a hunting season on them. They used to be as tame has barn hens.  ffcheesy

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

KEC

Years ago, when it was bucks only deer hunting here, does were not too wary. A biologist I knew said: wait 'till they start issuing doe permits and you'll see how hard they get to hunt." He was right! Does are just as wary as bucks here now.

Ron Scott

Quote from: SwampDonkey on April 05, 2024, 07:29:25 AMOnce you get that sumac growing it will be everywhere.  ffcheesy  It's pretty in the fall though and the berry heads are interesting. The old people collected the berries and made a sort of lemonade with them. There seems to be two sexes with them, so be sure to get several to be sure. I knew an old fella that cut the central stick in one clump that was big enough to make jewelry boxes. Kinda reminds me of butternut wood, but a lot more pores, both are diffuse porous woods. Kinda olive green wood. Both are light weight and soft.
Yes, it can be invasive and may need to be controlled.
~Ron

KEC

My wife and I sat in lawn chairs in the front yard today to watch the eclipse. I watched the birds to see how they responded. Birds seemed to come to a feeding station as the light dimmed to "fill up before going to roost"  then they went off to roost. A Mourning Dove flew into some conifers to roost. As it got dark the spring peepers started singing. When it got light again, the dove came out, the birds returned to feeding and birds started singing as they do at dawn. The view of the eclipse was hampered by a  cloudy sky, though, for a few minutes, it got quite dark.

SwampDonkey

I watched the crows here and they did nothing different through the whole process. Never roosted either, they were flying and crowing as usual.  Pigeons as well, they were picking gravel out on the road through it all. Was no song birds to observe in the yard.

aigheadish

The birds around me started making dusk time noises, but we didn't get peepers going. What I noticed was how quiet everything was, right at totality. 
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

KEC

SD, I don't know about the pigeons but maybe the crows (being smarter than most birds) heard that it would not stay dark for long.    ffcheesy  About birds gritting along the road, crossbills are dedicated gritters and one of the best ways to see them is to pay attention to birds in the road.

SwampDonkey

Saw a bluebird this morning sitting on a lower branch of the white birch, which is not far from the nest boxes. I think they were here on the 15th last April.

aigheadish

Via the Merlin app, it was suggested that I had a northern mockingbird. I didn't think that was really a thing until the birder lady at work confirmed it. Well, today I was out leaf blowing and I heard a bunch of crazy bird noises. I opened the app and sure enough, northern mockingbird. I hunted it out to confirm. Too cool.

New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

thecfarm

Wife saw a bluebird on our fence today. She pointed it out to me!!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

KEC

We've all heard the phrase "in the catbird seat", right. The people who coined that phrase were actually reffering to the Northern Mockingbird; they like to sing from high perches. Gray Catbirds are skulkers that tend to sing and stay in thick cover. Mockingbirds immitate many others birds and they fool the Merlin phone app.

caveman

Just before dusk while hauling a load of slabs to the burn pile with the telehandler, I saw a big, colorful bird on the fence by my driveway.  At first, I thought it was a tom turkey.  Something was not quite right, and I turned to get a better look at it.  It was a peacock.  I have no idea where it came from.  One of my neighbor friends was down here as John and I were finishing up this evening.  He said that he has seen four or five peafowl back behind his place and that they were some kind of skittish.  
Caveman

DDW_OR

i sometimes use the Merlin app, on the birds on the TV or DVD
it works!!

"let the machines do the work"

Chuck White

I've noticed that the pesty little Phoebee's have been back for about a week, we also have Tree Swallows now, fighting over the birdhouses along with the Eastern Bluebirds!

SwampDonkey

Yep, the pheobes are back as well, but no tree swallows here yet. A bit too early for them, usually May up here. One time barn swallows came too early, it turned cold and about wiped them out. We no longer get large numbers now. Plus, not that many barns, but they also go to bridges on dirt roads or camp eves and such. I remember seeing them 50 miles in the bush under logging road bridges and fish camp eves.  :thumbsup:

Chuck White

The Hummingbirds will be arriving in 3-4 weeks, they usually start showing up between the 7th and 11th of May.

Once in a while, the catch me by surprise and get here a few days early!

SwampDonkey

I did see some tree swallows around this morning. A bit early for a swallow up here.

WhitePineJunky

Hummers, swallows, pretty much all the usual suspects here now, hermit thrushes are present but no evening song calls from them yet 

SwampDonkey

No hummers here yet, no flowers and cold. And have not heard any white throated sparrows yet. Those sparrows will probably be here this coming week. The old people called them 'sweet whether birds' and were often confused for black capped chickadee songs.

Bluebirds have been defending their nest box against tree swallow invasions, but there is another box that they have settled on. There's probably 6 tree swallows around the box.

Chuck White

Bluebirds and Tree Swallows are busy now.

Haven't seen a Hummingbird, Rose Breasted Grossbeak or a Brown Thrasher yet!

Thank You Sponsors!