iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

vacuum storing wet wood

Started by Daren, February 20, 2005, 09:02:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daren

I saw small amounts of unusual wood for hobbiest (and myself) for furniture, bowl blanks...I would like to get into a specialty market of green turning blanks. I know you can smear junk all over the wood to seal it, but I am thinking about dragging the wifes vacuum bag food sealer out to the garage. If it works I can have stuff for resale in stock. Will it work?
(I already have her blender out there from a failed catfish bait experiment, and a pan from another "make my own rubber crappie lure" attempt and...) ::)
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Den Socling

Daren,

There are commercial 'dips' available that stop fungus and stain. That would be an interesting experiment to soak green wood in a dip and then seal it in a vacuum.

Den

Daren

If nothing else an interesting experiment beats watching it snow. I guess my next question is does anyone have any ideas on stopping degrade causers before bagging?  Since I am talking about smaller pieces I could zap it in the microwave for a couple of minutes, but I don't want to dry it.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

WH_Conley

If you are wanting to keep it green and uncured I wonder what it would to bag it and put in the freezer? Maybe with a little water around it like we do fish to keep from freezer burn. Probably wouldn't work, be too simple. Oh well, just a thought.
Bill

Curlywoods

My first concern would be mold, but maybe the dip that Den mentioned might stop that.  Give it a try :-)  Nothing like proving whether it works or not :-)

All the best,

Michael Mastin
McKinney Hardwood Lumber
McKinney, TX

Thank You Sponsors!