iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Will it work?

Started by gmacky, June 28, 2019, 04:54:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gmacky

I have an air compresser with a ten gallon tank, operating pressure 0-125 psi. Can I use a high tork impact gun with it?

btulloh

Not really.  Not enough CFM.  You could probably get a short burst with a long recovery time.  Maybe that's good enough for what you need to do.

Impacts are rated at X CFM @ X psi.  Air compressors have the same ratings, usually at two different psi's.  The compressor needs to have the same or higher rating as the impact to deliver enough air for continuous operation.

Check out the ratings for your compressor and your impact.  You should be using a 3/8 or 1/2 hose for that volume of air also.

You can always try it and see.
HM126

doc henderson

if you are rotating tires a few times a year it will work.  all day long and you will ruin the compressor.  if it is oiless, may have a limited duty cycle.  dewalt and others make a battery operated 1/2 inch as well. when I use my air a distance from my shop, I would use a reservoir such as a air bubble at the end of a long hose so it can accumulate volume and pressure near the point of use.  if you had a larger tank it would help but may not be matched to the compressor and over do the duty cycle.  HF sells a triple tap and I put this in my air bubble and have a double male fitting in, and then a hose out to add volume and provide more pressure at the tool instead of the drop across the long hose.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

doc henderson

is this a high end compressor?  with oil?  full duty cycle?  what is use going to be?
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Southside

My Milwaukee 18V, 1/2" impact is rated for 1,400 ft lbs torque, I have absolutely no idea where my air impact is these days and I will not be looking for it either. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

btulloh

The good battery impacts are amazing.  And wonderful.  Air, shmair, get that hose outta here.  

Didn't know there was one rated for 1400 ft/lbs.  I guess they are getting better every day.
HM126

Southside

It has a smart setting too that senses when the torque has broken loose and slows down the socket so you don't spin the nuts off at full speed and send them flying. I use it to adjust the outriggers on the 70 all the time, it's that sensitive and quiet to boot. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

gmacky

Thanks for all of the info!

Bruno of NH

I'd go cordless 
They work super
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Thank You Sponsors!