iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl 23RSPro chain?'s..

Started by realzed, November 28, 2020, 07:27:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

realzed

There was some discussion around the new Stihl 23RSPro chain a while back due to I believe someone breaking a couple of them.
The actual subject of how well they cut though never came up in that discussion, nor have I seen anyone commenting any further regarding usage except initially many speculated that it should in fact be quite an improvement over the regular RS type of Stihl chain.
Has anyone used one of these fairly new chains on a 261 saw and if so what were the impressions of how fast it cut compared to a regular RS chain and how well the tooth shape and size improved (if any) the cutting characteristics and sharpening ease - or any other quirks?
Since it is a narrower kerf type of cutter I gather - thus the speed gain, I am wondering if there are any other real life benefits to going to it or issues to keep one from staying away from them.
Lastly is a 3/16" file the correct one for this tooth profile as well?
Thanks - Randy    

SkeeterKev

I have used it for almost 1 year now.  Was cutting last winter with it.
I get the loops made up for my 346xp in Espanola at Trail side, he just removes a link from the standard 67DL loop to get 66DL that I need.
I find it smooth and fast in hard maple, I am not going back to Oregon 325 LPX this is much better.  I just use a Husky narrow kerf bar.  Chain stretch is not a problem as good as any chain I have used.
I used a 8 pin rim at first but am now back to the 7 pin rim.  Seems to run as fast with the 7 pin in larger hardwood and saw seems to run easier.
You can get the 66DL loop on the 8 pin, its tight going on but better than using 67DL as it puts the end of the bar closer to the rim. (I used 67DL at first)  Not hard to try both rims - depends on what you are cutting.
Yes it uses a 3/16 file.  I use the 2-1 Stihl sharpener - so far so good with it.
I also use a 241 stihl a lot.  It is set up with Stihl 63PS (3/8low pro full chisel) / 7 pin.  I was thinking of converting it to RSPro but I really like the Stihl PS.  Both the 63PS and the 23RSPro look much the same but the tie strap is a bit higher (stronger) on the RSPro.  (I could measure if someone was interested)
I suppose it is not as robust a system as the standard kerf bar and chain but has its benefits.  

As a side note I seen 68DL loops at another dealer.  These must be for the MS250 I would think.  The one I seen a while back came stock with a 50 gauge bar.  I think this is standard in Canada but it is 63 Gauge in USA.  The bar measured 0.160" thick and should run the RSPro which is 0.150" across. (same as any narrow kerf .325)  If I recall my new Husky bar was a bit more than 0.150"

Kevin

sawguy21

That Husky bar could very well be .058, it is common in Canada. I don't know about the U.S. where .063 seems to be king. At any rate the new narrow kerf is only available in .050, it will be sloppy in your bar, wear prematurely and cut crooked.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

SkeeterKev

My bar is a narrow kerf 0.050 bar.  No worries.

realzed

I bought one of these chains in the Spring after Willard mentioned them and a new light bar Stihl was going put out for the 261 series of saw, in a post a year or so back, but never got around to actually using it to try it out..
I have a couple of RS types that got me through all of my load of maple log work this year and they do run well for my purposes - but after hearing of one fellow's issues breaking 2 of them, I wondered if they were overly fragile for some reason and that never motivated me sufficiently to try the one I have out.
Pretty much done cutting up anything for the year now - but will give the RSP version a shot come Spring.
I love my 261 and anything that could be added to it's already great cutting ability would certainly just be considered a real bonus!
Additionally, I had heard all new 261's were probably going to be fitted with this chain starting into 2020 - does anyone know if this is in fact the case - thought I saw on the Stihl site a reference that sounded like it was the OEM version of chain from new for the 261 model now - but haven't heard or seen whether it actually is or was the case..?
Thanks - Randy

SkeeterKev

I have no idea why this chain would break on a saw like yours or what I use it on.
I am not sure if the '04 Light' Stihl bars are available here yet.
Over the pond they list the 261 with this new bar and chain set up now.  I am sure it is coming here; maybe it is now.  I have not seen one of these saws at a dealer in a long time.
It is faster in the cut like they say.  Smoother too I would say.  Loads the saw less in larger hardwood.  I would say it would be great with a 18" bar (mine is a 16").
You could use a Oregon 'Speedcut' bar with this chain on your saw, it is available in 16"(67DL) and 18"(74DL) for your mount.  
If your existing bar is 50 gauge and not too thick you should be able to run it.
Good luck.
Kevin

realzed

I run a 20" standard .050 Stihl Ematic bar and would like to get one of those 'light' bars as well to go along with the RSPro chain - but I haven't inquired about the availability of those bars at any dealers so far and I'm not sure if the listing I saw of them even included a 20" length.
I suspect considering how bare the shelves are due to the virus, the supply must be just as bad - or worse, when it comes to parts as well.
I will ask next time I'm in though..

SkeeterKev

Top is Stihl PS, bottom RSPro they are much alike except for pitch  Kerf is the same.  The tie strap is about 0.015 higher on the RSPro.  Note the depth gauge is forward on the RSPro.  Both two of the best small chisel chains available.
This is my first picture posted, was not that bad!

realzed

I did ask today since I was going by a dealer here about the Light 04 bars and got empty looks..
I did say I had some part numbers at home and they asked me to email them a picture or part numbers so they could see if they could find out any info on them.
I'm not holding out much hope - but who knows..
I was surprised just how many saws they had out on display in their showroom - a lot more certainly than they had a few weeks back when I was last in. Just about every Stihl model except the 261 seemed to be on the shelf - they must have found a source and recently had a large shipment - as the numbers seemed pretty sparse the last time I was in there. 
A few 500i's as well - neat looking unit for sure.  I hoisted up a 362 and then a 500i and really there wasn't a ton of difference considering the displacement and power difference..

SkeeterKev

Always the Speedcut bar - it will get you going in the spring.  It has a large nose radius and takes the standard loops your dealer should have.  No 20" though.
18" Part# 180TXLGD025 (double check - should be 3003 mount)

Good that dealers are getting stock.

realzed

I did this AM get a reply from the local dealer that the Light 04 bars were strictly a European-thing, not sure if that is Stihl dealerspeak by him for "I can't get one", or "I don't know how to get one", or "I really have no idea of how you found those part numbers"..
Anyway he finished his response by basically saying "the only lightweight bars available are the lightweight Rollomatic ES Lights and only available for the bigger saws 60cc or larger, that are running the big 3/8 33 RS chain.  The light 04 are a European product not available in Canada" - (Like I didn't already know that the Rollomatic ES Lightweight bars won't fit a 261).  :)

Old saw fixer

Stihl's attitude regarding availability of the NK products in the US has sold me a Husky. 
Stihl FG 2, 036 Pro, 017, HT 132, MS 261 C-M, MSA 140 C-B, MS 462 C-M, MS 201 T C-M
Echo CS-2511T, CS-3510
Logrite Cant Hook (with log stand), and Hookaroon

realzed

Well that didn't take very much!
The 23RS type of .325 chain that Stihl equips the 261's and 271's with cuts extremely well in my opinion.
I personally was just looking at the RSPro series of chain and Light 04 bar to try and increase the speed slightly and save a bit of weight, but I was not trying to fool myself, as I do realize it would only result in a marginal improvement in either!
Maybe you were pretty much already inclined to be buying a Husky anyway - if that's all it took to move you over to the 'Dark Side'..   :D ;D

Old saw fixer

LOL!  Realzed you may be onto something there!  I have changed my brand loyalty many times over the course of my 72 years! 

Stihl FG 2, 036 Pro, 017, HT 132, MS 261 C-M, MSA 140 C-B, MS 462 C-M, MS 201 T C-M
Echo CS-2511T, CS-3510
Logrite Cant Hook (with log stand), and Hookaroon

HolmenTree

Yesterday at the dealer I saw a loop of the new 23RS chain on a new MS261. Was about to take a picture of it with my phone but the pesky salesman came over.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Happysawer

Quote from: HolmenTree on December 06, 2020, 11:37:37 AM
Yesterday at the dealer I saw a loop of the new 23RS chain on a new MS261. Was about to take a picture of it with my phone but the pesky salesman came over.
Did you notice what size bar was on the MS261?

HolmenTree

Quote from: Happysawer on December 06, 2020, 01:45:17 PM
Quote from: HolmenTree on December 06, 2020, 11:37:37 AM
Did you notice what size bar was on the MS261?
16" inch E bar.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Thank You Sponsors!