iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

waking the beast

Started by Clockwork, November 21, 2004, 12:43:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clockwork

the other day dad cleaned out his garage, i came over to help him and he had his old Homelite ZIP behemoth sitting there and he said i could have it otherwise he would donate it or throw it away. hadn't been run in 20 years and the stopped production in 1962. said it was a tractor but since he has newer saws, it just doesnt make sense to keep a mammoth saw around that is outclassed by saws half its size.

i took it gladly hoping to get it going for novelties sake. tonight i got the urge at 10pm(much to my neighbors' chagrin) to give her a few pulls. i dumped out the 20 year old gas-turned-varnish and put fresdh mix in. i cleaned the spark plug and found she had spark! put some starting fluid in there and in a few pulls and a few more installments of starting fluid she came to life. after running the "bugs" out of it it started revving nice and smooth! i couldnt beleive it. i figured it wouldnt have spark this late in the game. and i figured it at least required a carb rebuild. but i was amazed that it actually started running almost flawlessly on its own fuel. even cut decently even with the almost toothless chain.

pretty cool. she wont take much to get it going well. although im not sure the use of it. i have a much more practical saw but its a cool looking saw with attitude. not as quick as my husky 61 but sure has a style all it's own! -ryan
Husqvarna 61
Echo 550EVL
Homelite ZIP

Lewis Brander

Hello Clockwork. You want to be carefull or you'll get the bug and want a few more of those old saws. I started out putting together and old Disston, D0-101, that was given to me in 1978. I stored it untill June 2003, dug it out and assembled it. Got her running after about 3 months of chasing parts on the net. I've primed and painted her (still looking for a source for engine decals, to complete the restoration).. Last April the old saw would only start and run rich and eventually flood out. I ended up getting materials and making new "Fuel Meter" diaphragms fot it ( today's gas ate the old ones). I now have 10 saws, 9 of which are restored to running condition (one is too far gone to resstore, will use for a parts saw). Still looking for more, which doesn't make the wife happy. But she knows it gives me something to do. I was going to include a picture of some of my saws, but see that I have to go and rescan them to a different size to post. Will eventually resize and post some pictures at a later date. You take care. Lewis.
My hobby is restoring old saw. Just because it's old, doesn't mean she can't run and look good again. Take care. Lewis Brander.

sawguy21

You are absolutely right, Lewis. This can and does get addictive.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Lewis Brander

Hello Sawguy21. How many are in your collection. Lewis.
My hobby is restoring old saw. Just because it's old, doesn't mean she can't run and look good again. Take care. Lewis Brander.

Dean Hylton

Hey lewis I got an old mercury if you are interested. I could email you pictures of it when I get the shop tomorrow.

Lewis Brander

Hi Dean. Send the pictures if you want. Can't make any promises right now in taking it, untill after the first of the year. Take care. Lewis.

sawguy21

Lewis, I got six and still looking, new Husky 345 only one that runs. Oldest is a Pioneer 450 I'm not interested in packing all day but am working on acquiring a Homelite Zip. Also found a complete mukluk D33. Space is becoming an issue.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Thank You Sponsors!