iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cent. clutch & crankshaft endplay ?s

Started by sprucebunny, July 04, 2019, 08:40:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sprucebunny

Is a centrifical clutch something I can fix ? This one has disengaged approximately twice...

Most of the clutches I'm finding are only rated for 13HP. I'm going to call a sawmill manuf. that has 2 models with 20HP engines and see what they sell.

Engine runs  8)  Idle speed is 1450 is that normal ? EDIT: found a spec. that says 1400 +/-150 so that's good.

Crankshaft slides in/out about 1/16" is that normal ? (Enough to get a bang noise )

Thanks
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

thecfarm

Thomas Bandsaw has them on a 20hp Honda. I have not put a bunch of hours on my mill,but it does work well.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

sawguy21

Noram makes quite large centrifugal clutches to fit just about any application. Unless yours is a cheap offshore version springs and shoes should be readily available and inexpensive to replace. Maybe it just needs  good cleaning.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

sprucebunny

Thomas is who I was going to call.  ;)

I found the Noram ones and also a kind with no brand made in Canada. Can't seem to get much for specs from the internet.

This one has English letters and numbers but no brand.

Might have it fixed by now if I could get it apart.... I don't have an adaquate snap ring pliers. Tried to make some.... Going to try again  :-X Something to do in my cool garage on a hot day.

Thanks

sprucebunny

It came apart. Didn't need the snap ring pliers but all the messing with it made it decide to cooperate.

There are 4 lobes and 2 springs ( upper and lower )

Kind of hard to see but 2 of the lobes aren't touching the outside part and 2 are. Spaces between them are unequal.

Have 3 of them out but the fourth is stuck. It won't lie 'flat' against the inner hub; always a gap there so something is wrong .... It will wiggle but even prying it with allen wrenches hasn't got it out.

It says Canada on it.

Tomorrow is another day....

luap

I think your crankshaft end play is excessive. It should be measurable with a dial indicator, not a ruler.
I am wondering why an electromagnetic clutch couldn't be used? I just replaced one on a 23 hp Briggs on a snow blower and they are available in many sizes.

sprucebunny

What would I do about the end play ? I'm guessing it's something that IF adjustable, would be done inside the engine ?

I'll look into electromagnetic clutches. This one certainly hasn't been a success !

btulloh

It usually takes shims to adjust end play. Sometimes it takes a new engine. I'm not sure about that Honda though.
HM126

luap

I rebuilt a !0 hp Kohler garden tractor engine years ago and the rebuild kit came with shims that go on the crankshaft so it involves a complete rebuild  and  measuring the shims and end play and some trial and assembly to get it correct. You may not know what you have until disassembly.

sprucebunny

Well, here's the problem with the clutch.
Can't expect it to contract when one of the lobes is jambed on top of a set screw....

There are two set screws at 90 degrees to each other. Not exactly sure why they are even there since in this application, the removable side of the clutch is up against the engine. Those two lobes had never retracted if wear on the outer hub is an indicator.

Do I have great luck or what  ::)

Think I'll just remove the set screws since they really aren't doing anything but causing trouble. If it still doesn't work or it slops around even worse, I'll look into a differnt brand or type.

btulloh

It looks like you're winning this one Sprucebunny.

Some people (?) say that a little end play is ok. (??)  I don't know about that.  Sounds like happy talk to me.  This has come a long way from being a locked up engine. Keep after it and good luck.
HM126

beav

How did you measure the end play? I bet it is less and within specs. If it really bothers you find out what the specification is and measure it with a dial indicator. There is end play to allow for expansion and give the oil passage room.
I wouldn't worry about it unless you got metal chunks in the oil.
Run that thing

sprucebunny

I measured it by eye and by the clunk :)

I was just outside in the 90+ degree heat poking at it and it's less.

Ya, not going to worry about it. Waiting for a new drive belt and for the traffic to die down so I can take the mill back up north and saw something.

My wood storage tent collapsed last winter so I won't be sawing much.

Thank You Sponsors!