iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Solved: Button bush

Started by Tom, June 28, 2001, 08:09:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

This is a small tree that grows in moist areas in the Eastern half of the U.S. and is beside a small pond in my backyard.

swampwhiteoak

Fruit looks like buttonbush.  Not sure, though.  Without a better look at the plant I can't tell the leaf arrangement.

Details, Tom, I need details.  Or a couple of more pictures.

I'll try to come up with a couple of more pics today so we can keep this going (as long as the boss doesn't get mad 'bout my net surfin') ;D

Tom

Right again Greg!!!!!!!!!!!

You don't need too many details ........mind like a steel trap. :)

Jeff

I got a mind like a steel trap too. Today it wont let nothing in...
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

CHARLIE

OK...help me out here. :-/   I stumpled into "Buttonwood" which is another name for the American Sycamore and a few other types of Sycamores.  Is that what this is? Is this really an American Sycamore or is "Button Bush" different than "Buttonwood"?  The leaves and fruit sure look the same as in my book.  
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Tom

Charlie,  This is actually a "Buttonbush" (Cephalanthus occidentalis)  It is a shrub or small tree up to 20' and it's flowers and balls do not look much like Sycamore in real life.  Buttonbush is a real water loving plant and will not be found too far from a ditch bank, pond or stream.  It's bark is furrowed and dark brown where Sycamore's is light colored and smooth.  I will post a picture of the flowers when I find a bloom.  You will see a big difference.  Buttonbush lives in the same kind of soil as Black willow.......oops......haven't put that one on here yet :D

Don P

Seeing Bibbymans Q-sawn white oak the other day reminded me of a sycamore I sawed a few years back. The flecking in the quartered pieces was beautiful. I used it for rafters in the saw shed along with about 9 other species. :D It has way bad drying habits but seems to be ok once that is over with,kinda like cherry does (another wood science question). So,I'm guessing from Charlie's post that it was used to make buttons?

Tom

Don,

My book says the balls "looked" like buttons.  I'm guessing that the buttons they refer to are the early ones that were round with a small projection that thread could be sewed to.  I don't think they were used for buttons.  It says the foliage is poisonous to cattle and the bark was used medicinally with much doubt as to its effectiveness. :-/

Thank You Sponsors!