iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Taking Delivery

Started by Jeff, March 23, 2017, 07:54:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

I've thought about it, but if I convert it, then I have to worry about the coil and distributer, all the gauges and lights. I do know that the 6volt starter is probably the only thing that I wouldn't have to be concerned with. The other plus side about 12 volt though, is I need to replace most of the wiring anyhow, and the 12volt would not require near as heavy wire as 6.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Jeff

Does anyone out there have a junk yard near them that might possible have one of these old dodges in it?

Just Me

The distributor does not care and you can swap out a 12 volt coil. Gauges, we don't need no stink'in gauges!

What parts are you looking for? Does that have the crank out windshield? If so treat it with tender loving care, very hard to find in good shape.

Look for a product called OSHPHO. They carry it in the parts store in Indian River and I use it all the time. It is made in Michigan, its a rapid oxidizer that eats the rust but leaves the good metal alone. I drop parts in it for 10 minutes to 4 hours depending on how bad the part is, rinse it off and blow it with the air gun, let dry and its ready for paint. Much better than trying to sand small odd parts. I spray it on before final sanding of body panels when painting as well, kills the rust in pits that can come back to haunt you.

I have always wanted to check out that junkyard by you that you can see from 127, but not sure how to get to it. Tried one day but ended back up in Harrison.

Jeff

Yea, the crank out windshield frame. :-\

HAPPY DAY!
I didn't know if it would run when I bought it and neither did the guy I bought it from. I got it to fire a couple weeks ago, but today was the day to earnestly try and make it run.
HAPPY DAY!
https://youtu.be/tWhRYHhWaWs

https://youtu.be/vDzqPksGlkE

thecfarm

That sounds good. Mighty good!!!!!    8)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Dave Shepard

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Magicman

It idles with authority.   :snowball:
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Delawhere Jack

newoodguy78

Nice work that old rig sounds great, keep it up and you'll be cruising the backroads in no time  8) Any idea of the last time it ran?
It's crazy to look down beside the engine block and see the ground under the truck...

Jeff

The last licence plate on it was 1973. :)

newoodguy78

Good grief that makes it even more impressive. Especially since that's 5 years before I was born  :o

Delawhere Jack

I've watched those vids a second time, and I think this is a fake. How can that engine possibly run without a:

Mass airflow sensor
EGR valve
PCV valve
Idle air bypass valve
No injectors
No crank position sensor
At least one, if not two O2 sensors
No cats
No knock sensor
No thin film thingamabob on the distributor
No ECU
No auxiliary ECU

You almost had me there Jeff...... Must have cost a fortune to create the CGI footage of this fictional engine that runs without the least bit of modern technology.....

;)

Next you'll be telling us that the truck didn't have airbags, seatbelts or even AC...

Jeff

The airbag was pictured multiple times in both videos.

thecfarm

I betcha it doesn't have that switch to make the blinker switch go back to its neutral position after making a turn either.  ;D No FM radio either as standard equipment.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Jeff

Quote from: Delawhere Jack on April 24, 2017, 09:55:27 PM
Next you'll be telling us that the truck didn't have airbags, seatbelts or even AC...

Not sure how I'll manage with the truck heater. I will actually have to reach down and open these little doors that keep the heat in if I want it to come out, and almost as bad, I have to close them back up if I want it to stay in!

sandhills

Jeff, a guy about 20 miles away from me has a boneyard with acres and acres of trucks I'd be surprised if he didn't have a few of those, what are you looking for?  Nice to see her running!

Dave Shepard

At least it has delay wipers, if the operator is paying attention.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Darrel

Old trucks brings back so many good memories.  There were so many of them when I was a kid. I thought that they were old then but I really didn't know what old was. A fully restored truck is really cool to look at and so is a nice rod. But take an old truck, fix it up a bit, get it running, and let it wear its battle scars with pride. Think about the stories it would tell if it could.

Jeff, you have gotten yourself a real treasure from the past. Thanks for taking the rest of us along for the ride!
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: Dave Shepard on April 25, 2017, 12:51:55 PM
At least it has delay wipers, if the operator is paying attention.

I remember my dad's old chevy wagon.  It had vacuum operated wipers.  They would slow down or stop when trying to accelerate up a steep hill...
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Jeff

Surprise surprise. 46 has all left hand thread lug nuts. At least on the back. I was going to check on the brake shoes, and now see it's not as easy as pulling a wheel and slipping a drum off. Time to pull some axles :)

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: Jeff on April 26, 2017, 08:16:14 AM
Surprise surprise. 46 has all left hand thread lug nuts.
Not surprise to me!  My 1965 Davis Little Monster has '46 Dodge brake drums, so I've been told by a friend who is an old Dodge expert.  Then, to get the drum off, my puller just bent.  I had to borrow his and use a BIG sledge to tighten the puller.  Came off with a mighty BANG!  I'm amazed that the studs didn't snap under the stress.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Magicman

Our truck was LH on one side and RH on the other.   smiley_dizzy
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jeff

The studs are part of the drum, so I can see both sides being the same. I'll have to pay close attention and assume nothing when I eventually get to the front.

Jeff

Artsy Fartsy Dodge.

Thank You Sponsors!