iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Woodmaster 4-1 Planer / moulder

Started by customdave, December 29, 2008, 12:56:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OneWithWood

I use a 5hp blower I got from Timberking, I think.  It sucks up everything from the planer to the LT40 and deposits it in a dump truck on the other side of the wall.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

pigman

QuoteIt sucks up everything from the planer to the LT40 and deposits it in a dump truck on the other side of the wall.
Robert, It missed a tiny bit. ;D

In OWW's defense, the log was dead and most of the trash fell off while he was turning the log. ;)
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

isawlogs

Hey Bob , I am a little jalous here ...
So where is it that we put our name down for you to come and tail for us . Did Robert get an exclusive?  I offerd Dan a vacation here in the spring , while we do the Maple sirop thing .. and as soon as he saw the snow in the pic I sent him and the sleigh he was going to help pull .... he run da oder way .  :-\  Da words that man can come up with the qualify the word snow is amazing .  :P :o   Smart man that Dan , some of them words I have yet to find a definition for .  :P But in my defense, I have an old dictionary . 
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

DR Buck

Quote from: isawlogs on January 06, 2009, 01:43:29 PM
  :P But in my defense, I have an old dictionary . 

Yea,  and it's probably not in English.   ;)
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

isawlogs

Quote from: DR_Buck on January 06, 2009, 05:54:05 PM
Quote from: isawlogs on January 06, 2009, 01:43:29 PM
  :P But in my defense, I have an old dictionary . 

Yea,  and it's probably not in English.   ;)

Well there ya go , secrets out now .  :P :D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

TexasTimbers

I can't add much to what's been said. have 725 with their carbide cutterhead. Have two dozen profiles now and the gang ripper and sander kit. I Love it.

the only thing I don't like about it is that the bed moves up and down instead of the cutterhead. They have a bed  attachment for that but it isn't to my liking either. I have got used to it, but i still scratched out my own solution on a sheet of paper once.  Just another one of those "I'll get to it one day" projects.

I have a dedicated DC hooked up to it, only 2HP, but it sucks 98%+ of the wet heavy soft maple chips it eats routinely. I have a 15HP DC I was going to hook up to it but I just decided it would be better for the rest of whole shop because the shop is rather large, with long ducting runs.

Only thing I say with a planer is go as wide as you can afford. You'll never have a planer wide enough for everything you want to run through it, but the wider you go, the fewer times you'll say "I shoulda got the wider one!"

I see you haven't posted since first asking, let us know what you decide.

The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

customdave

Thanks for all the replys guys , TexasTimber , I'm going to take your advice & get the 25 with the sprial planer head , this machine should work great for me. Just haven't had time to track down if they have dealer in Canada yet, but if they don't I can get it shipped up from U.S.    Thanks Dave
Love the smell of sawdust

wdncno

I believe they have a dealer in New Brunswick.  I have spoken to them and got parts for mine. - A 25" with 5 hp Leeson motor . I also have the gang saw, drum sander, and moulding heads and a bunch of knives.  I don't use it much since I got the Logosol ph260 and could probably be talked into selling it.

HOOF-ER

8) 8) 8) Joined the Woodmaster crowd. I picked up a used 718 today.
Looking forward to using it. I have been looking for some time for a larger planer.
Still would like a commercial one. I will see how this fits my needs , I can always keep looking.
Home built swing mill, 27hp Kawasaki

David Freed

Quote from: bedway on January 01, 2009, 12:26:09 PM
I have mine hooked up to a dust collector. It works great except when your doing real wide stock. Then the chips load up in the chute. When running wide material i dont use the collection system.

Here is how I changed the dust hood so it would pick up dust better. If I was using the full width, I would add a third port on the other side. It works really good.

Slabs

Yep, a shavings despenser for the planer is a boss appliance.

I use a Grizzly one-hoss "roll-around/hang-on-the-wall" for my 15" planer.  One thing I learned too slow is  you can't have the "chip-catcher" grid on the intake of the blower with a planer.  The shavings from a moderate sized board will catch up on the grid and choke up the blower.  A pair of lineman's pliers will take care of the grid and eliminate problems until you use the blower to suck up the oak leaves that collect through the open shop door.  They will stick in the output grid and stop that end up.  Just don't know why you need the output grid but the lineman's pliers take care of that one too.

The drum is a homemade dust and chip separator and the lawn mower trailer will handle a couple hours worth of shavings-enough for a small project.
Slabs  : Offloader, slab and sawdust Mexican, mill mechanic and electrician, general flunky.  Woodshop, metal woorking shop and electronics shop.

Thank You Sponsors!