iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

This ever happened to you? Surprise logs!

Started by alecs, September 02, 2022, 07:07:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alecs

I guess I must be getting a reputation in the neighborhood... my wife texted me yesterday while I was at work and said, "oh your tree guy is here, dropping off a load of logs.  He says he can't get to the usual drop off spot so he is putting them in the front yard."

That's weird, I thought.  I've only been sawing since this spring.  Don't have a sign on the side of the road.  Never advertised that I was looking for logs.  Heck, I've been so slow at sawing, my last stack of pine logs became chicken feed makers from all the beetle larvae under the bark.  

My tree guy didn't tell me he was going to drop off anything.  Besides, the name of the tree guy she mentioned was similar but not the same.  I contacted my guy and asked him.  "Nope, not me," he confirmed.  

Anyway I came home to find three big pine logs. 18"-20" dia and 10-14' long. And no idea why!  Is there a "blade fairy" who flies in takes away your dull blades and leaves logs for you to find the next morning?

Well at least now I have something to keep me busy this weekend!

Cedarman

I would be finding out what that tree trimmers favorite restaurant was.
Looks like sweet logs to me.  Get the blade lube ready.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Magicman

Before sawing them I would talk with the tree guy. 

Maybe he wanted them sawed for himself or maybe he or his worker dropped them off at the wrong sawyer?  Maybe, maybe not, but I would talk before sawing.  Unanswered questions need answering.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

moodnacreek

Logs stacked side of the road can have kittens.

doc henderson

they look too nice to be an accident.  I sometimes talk with guys, and forget years later and they have to remind me where and when we spoke.  but I doubt a long lost contact would drop them off with out calling.  when they do just drop things off, it is usually junk.  I have one guy that tells me how great and straight logs are, and when I get home, I have tree tops in my yard.   :snowball:   :)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Southside

It's usually kittens that are dropped off here. Dogs now and then. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

alecs

My wife says she talked to the guy when he was unloading and he was sure he meant to deliver to me.  Will have to figure out the mystery but it doesn't seem like a case of mistaken delivery.  No cut list provided either!

doc henderson

google or yellow pages (if there is such a thing) and see if your wife recognize another name.  He seemed to know where the "usual" spot is.  maybe a colleague of your reg. guy who was along for the ride.  Seems a bit presumptuous for a stand up guy, but I bet you will find out it is someone you have talked to and forgot about.  at least it is nice wood and meets the definition of a log.   :)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

moodnacreek

Quote from: Southside on September 02, 2022, 09:21:53 AM
It's usually kittens that are dropped off here. Dogs now and then.
We named one ' thrown from Volvo'.

Resonator

Is the "Blade Fairy" like a tooth fairy for blade teeth? :D :D
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Don P

DanG! I must have a blade butch. Every time I lose a tooth its a little scary and my lunch money is gone  ???.

esteadle

I got a call from a good fellow in my area today who offered me 1200 bf of his white oak logs he will have the township take down at their cost, and another 500 bf of hemlock to throw in on a load. So I'm feeling the love t'day.

customsawyer

I have pulled in and seen semi trailers unhooked and left in the yard. Some times it will be weeks before I find out who the logs belong to. 
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

caveman

Someone dropped off an oak log a few years ago that was close to 40" x 16' long.  I still am not sure where it came from.  It did make some nice slabs after cutting it down to a size my tractor could move.
Caveman

Brad_bb

Anxiously awaiting Paul Harvey to tell us "the rest of the story."
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

47sawdust

Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Thank You Sponsors!