iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lumber storage idea - adjustable pallet

Started by alecs, September 10, 2022, 05:22:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alecs

Hi,
I started making pallets to stack and sticker my lumber on, thinking it would be easier to move them around with my FEL.  But what length to make?  I had this idea today which seems to work OK.  I have come up with a base 10' long pallet with slide out telescoping wings to accommodate 12 and 14' boards. Seems to work OK so far, will update if that changes one way or the other!

For what it's worth, the white shed in the background is what housed the former sawmill at this property - which was water powered!  According to local lore, the shed got moved to this side of the property around the 1920s after the water powered mill (1676-1870s) had become defunct.  The mill owners at that time had moved their operation to the center of town where it had access to the railroad for easier transport of raw materials and finished goods, and made it a steam-powered mill.  So that's what my tagline means. 

doc henderson

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

JoshNZ

Do you not find your stack sags a bit across your fillets without runners under them?

Guido Salvage

It seems like you are adding unnecessary weight to what your loader must pick up. I stack mine on 4x4 posts that I can easily get my forks under.

Walnut Beast

I would have a little more overlap on your frame extensions on your pallet for the next ones. Seems a little wide also without a support on the 1" material 

doc henderson

you could pull them when not being used, and could overlap a bit further.  try them out and see if they work for you.  
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Thank You Sponsors!