iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Components of a Mill

Started by Alexanderthelate, October 31, 2013, 07:44:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alexanderthelate

I've been tossing around ideas for a mill for a while now. I have the basic idea of what I want and how it should be put together, but details are harder then basic ideas. I keep thinking of problems with my plans and components that are missing. I've read posts on this forum now for a while, and looked back over pages, this is a wonderful resource, but I figure the best way to get an answer is to ask questions. So what are the vital components of a bandsaw mill? I would also like to know how much horsepower the saw head should have?

Thank you.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

AL, where you from?

Welcome to the F.F.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Sawdust Lover

You will get the answers you need on here but its out of my league to tell you anything. Welcome to the forum.

bandmiller2

Welcome Alex,You will get some cute answers on the power question. Within reason the more power the better.I use a 15 hp three phase motor on my mill and its plenty for me.Gas or diesel 25 or 30 should be plenty.If you not in a hurry lesser HP will do the job.The best way to build a bandmill is to have a close look at a commercially built mill,in fact look at several and take good ideas from all.I built my own bandmill for about $500.00 but I had many things in stock.You will get out what you put in,if your A skillfull metal worker you can build a mill your proud of, if you cut corners and slap something togather not so much. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Magicman

Hello Alexanderthelate, and Welcome to the Forestry Forum.    :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

mikeb1079

well, for a basic manual mill (like mine) the essential components are:

horizontal shaft engine, centrifugal clutch, 12" drive pulley, pillowblock bearings, 1" jackshaft, bandwheels, and some steel.   :)

just assemble and push.   :D
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

dboyt

Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

scrout

I have a 18 HP twin on mine and I am always wanting for more, and I do not cut for money, just myself and hobby stuff.  15 HP 3 phase was mentioned above, and in a gas equivalent, that is pretty beefy, 30-60 HP depending on who you talk to.
Log handling is actually more difficult than most things, on the mill and off.  If you have a large tractor that can lift 12 foot 30 inch wet logs, you are golden.  Blade sharpening is another concern, I don't use enough blades to buy a sharpener, so I just keep buying new.  I have a Linn design, but I really like the Norwood MX34/36 features like the one turn per inch height adjustment, fast.
I personally have more needs for dimensional lumber, so I have collected the parts for a swinger, which should be faster than my Linn and easy sharpening.  I would like to have at least 25 hp for that saw however.

Alexanderthelate

Thank you For the answers and the welcomes.

Dave Shepard

The 15 hp electric LT40 was comparable to the 24 hp gas LT40. Mills were identical otherwise.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Thank You Sponsors!