iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Advice needed on sawing job

Started by 123maxbars, January 28, 2013, 02:03:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom the Sawyer

Just a general observation... a lot of these threads present a scenario where a member is seeking advice or options on how to handle their particular need.  There are almost 14,000 members on this forum and there will be a lot of different opinions out there.  When we contribute we can let them know what has worked, or hasn't worked for us, and go into detail as appropriate.  The original poster (and other readers) can evaluate the ideas that might work for them. 

When you post a comment that harshly criticizes someone else's method or suggestion then, in my opinion, it ceases to be educational and becomes condescending and dismissive.  After many years of reading posts it seems that those members whose opinions are most respected were the ones who were supportive and informative - not the ones who were bullies.  There is an art to positive criticism.

In my former occupation I learned that people in pain may comply, but they do not learn.  I'm sure that there are many members who read but don't ever post for fear that they may appear to be ignorant or unworthy of asking a question.  Some of the responses they have read may be responsible for that. 

Just a thought,   
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

Jay C. White Cloud

Thank you Tom,

I will try to be better. I'm just not sure sometimes how to share a concept and reply to a rebuttal.  I'm do'n the best I can, and really like how you explained it, I agree, and will make every effort to have my post be neutral, but informative.

Regards,  jay
"To posses an open mind, is to hold a key to many doors, and the ability to created doors where there were none before."

"When it is all said and done, they will have said they did it themselves."-teams response under a good leader.

torqueporting

Either charging method has its pros and cons. I have witnessed companies charge by the hour and slow way down to boost pay. I have seen companies charge by the unit and speed way up to boost pay (quantity). 

Balancing quality and quantity is the issue at hand while securing a fair deal.

Charge by the hour puts the company in the drivers seat of controlling how much they will be paid. Charging by the board foot places higher risk of mis-judging mill cost but sets a known cost for the customer.

beenthere

QuoteJust a general observation...

Tom, that was well said.

Amuses me too when a few can't just state their opinion and then not feel they have to keep re-arguing and re-defending their opinion. The best I can, I try to give a viewpoint the way I see it, and then let it go. Unless a retraction or a different point of discussion is raised, I move on (or at least think I do  ::) ).
I will readily admit that I don't know everything, but can have my own opinion on many things of which I often pass on as brief as possible for whatever it might be worth.

I like the forum for the different viewpoints so many members contribute. There is a wealth of information.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Bandmill Bandit

Just "another general observation"!

From a read and following of this thread I think it is quite obvious that each contributor is in fact a professional in the craft/trade.

BUT what I see the most of is that each persons contribution is a result of being tuned into his personal market and clientele!

Each respective post reflects the advice based on that particular knowledge.

SO What is my point?

While all of the advice is good advice and is tried and proven for each contributor, does not mean it will work for you.

YOu need to work through this thread and glean the things you think you can employ in a SIMPLE manner that will work for you. You will make a few mistakes as you learn but at the end of the day you will develop a system that is you and works with you.

JMHO
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Nomad

Quote from: torqueporting on January 29, 2013, 12:49:15 PM
Either charging method has its pros and cons. I have witnessed companies charge by the hour and slow way down to boost pay. I have seen companies charge by the unit and speed way up to boost pay (quantity). 

Balancing quality and quantity is the issue at hand while securing a fair deal.

Charge by the hour puts the company in the drivers seat of controlling how much they will be paid. Charging by the board foot places higher risk of mis-judging mill cost but sets a known cost for the customer.

Depends.  On a mobile job, if you're depending on the customer to supply the labor, charging by the bf can bite you.  I prefer to charge by the bf.  I think it's more fair.  But too many times I've had a customer "supply the labor" by bringing out a lawn chair for himself.  One fella figured "helping" was standing in the kitchen waving to me out the window.  Or it's the hired hand who keeps getting dragged away from me to go help do this, that, or whatever.  In all those cases the owner gets informed that we're switching to hourly rates.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

scully

Uhm I would charge hourly plus blades ,just a thought.....
I bleed orange  .

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: scully on January 29, 2013, 07:46:25 PM
Uhm I would charge hourly plus blades ,just a thought.....

This is exactly what I would do SCULLY.....and be done with it.  smiley_thumbsup
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Thank You Sponsors!