iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Painted metal surfaces on antiques.

Started by Jeff, March 23, 2013, 09:50:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

I have a metal display box here that has some pretty cool graphics on it. It is a hickory handle hardware display. The problem is the paint is very faded, but if I wash it, it stands out pretty good while wet. Does anyone have a recommendation on what I could use on it to help protect and highlight the graphics?  There is a mule pulling a wagon full of saw bolts, and some other advertising on it.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

tyb525

LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Jeff

I don't think wax would do it. I'm wondering maybe a clear poly spray?  I think mineral oil would brighten it up, but fear it might harm the paint, plus it would attract dust.

clww

I'd be leaning towards some clear spray-on finish, as well. However, as you stated, the number one concern is the preservation of the graphics.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Jeff

This is the box. It still has 4 original hamdles in it.

Texas Ranger

Try a touch of clear finish on it in a hidden place, and see what it does to the old finish.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I have never tried this but ARMORIAL came to mind.
Very nice display.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Jeff

hmmm....  I think I might even have some on hand. I could test it on the bottom, or inside.  :)

Sprucegum

I don't know what Armorial is but I know we can buy spray cans of clear- coat at automotive store here. It would do the job just fine.

Jeff

Armourall is a bust. Instructions say do not use on painted surfaces.  I'm thinking the clear coat is the ticket. :)

thecfarm

That is a mighty fine looking box, and the original handles too.  ;D Unbelievable. As you know to the right person, $$$$$ with a big S on the end.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Jeff on March 24, 2013, 10:24:34 AM
Armourall is a bust. Instructions say do not use on painted surfaces.  I'm thinking the clear coat is the ticket. :)

Back to the drawing board.

"Mother's" makes a "detail" spray that goes on painted surfaces that produces a high shine.

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

hardtailjohn

Here ya go Jeff... this stuff is awesome and the least offensive to the original artwork while still affording great protection. You could get it with just a touch of a "satin" finish if you don't want all the gloss. Great people to deal with too!
http://www.stewartsystems.aero/category/53/topcoats
I'd try the Ecocrylic. At any rate, call them and talk to one of them..they'd have a good answer for ya.
John
I'm so far behind, I think I'm ahead!

Magicman

Personally I use sanding sealer and of course it leaves a fairly shiny but durable surface.

This is a picture of my reused door hardware for the Cabin Addition closet door.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

loggah

Great find !!!!! i like it!!!  have you put a light layer of varnish on it ,just a little on a corner to see how it will work? I know some gun companies put varnish on cased colored parts to preserve it ,savage ,and marlin both did.
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

Ron Scott

~Ron

tyb525

Most clear finishes should bring the color out like the water does, I wonder if walnut oil would do the trick. I think you might want to wipe on a thin coat, whatever finish you use, rather than brushing it on.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Chris Burchfield

Sorry I have no answer Jeff.  You might call the manufacturer's number for product questions.  Some paint's and finishes do not react well to other paints.  You could apply a product that would cause your paint to wrinkle or peel off.  I've had a similar problem with automotive paint in the past.
Woodmizer LT40SH W/Command Control; 51HP Cat, Memphis TN.

Jeff

I put a coat of "Crystal Clear" spray on from walmart. It's a little better, probably as good as it will get.

Thank You Sponsors!