iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Persimmon saplings??

Started by Watrboyo1, April 26, 2020, 03:36:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Watrboyo1

Can someone tell me if this is a persimmon sapling and if so what would be the best way to transplant this(stump bucket) and when would be the best time also it will be transplanted on the same property just a few hundred yards away
Live for the outdoors

Watrboyo1

Live for the outdoors

Poquo

Yes it looks like Persimmon , I find them in my yard a lot . I dig them up carefully trying not to damage the roots , replant in new location make sure to keep watered for several days . I pick out the smallest saplings to move its a lot easier to dig them up.
2015 Woodmizer LT40HD26

kantuckid

Couple years back a KY state U professor did a project on persimmons and pawpaws. He sought the best tasting, most productive, etc. trees for seeds to work with toward a commercial use. I don't know where it all ended but something to look into.
There a nursery in KY that deals in such stuff plus hardy pecans, heartnut trees, etc. I think the name is "Englands Nursery"?
Honestly most persimmons I've picked up were about the same-if ripe. I pulp them in a food mill like maters then freeze for cookies & breads. very tasty! pawpaws I don't like and most get eaten before I see them anyway.
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

WV Sawmiller

Good luck getting enough roots with them to transplant. I tried to move several from N. Fla to WV a few years back and using a shovel I never got enough root stock for them to be viable.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Poquo

I collect the seeds in the fall , plant them in the spring and most of them sprout . I put a rat wire cage around where I plant to keep critters from digging them up .

This is the best shovel I've found for digging up small trees to transplant . 
2015 Woodmizer LT40HD26

Watrboyo1

Quote from: kantuckid on April 30, 2020, 09:51:13 AM
Couple years back a KY state U professor did a project on persimmons and pawpaws. He sought the best tasting, most productive, etc. trees for seeds to work with toward a commercial use. I don't know where it all ended but something to look into.
There a nursery in KY that deals in such stuff plus hardy pecans, heartnut trees, etc. I think the name is "Englands Nursery"?
Honestly most persimmons I've picked up were about the same-if ripe. I pulp them in a food mill like maters then freeze for cookies & breads. very tasty! pawpaws I don't like and most get eaten before I see them anyway.
thanks bud, yeah I have a ton, ton, ton of pawpaws on my property, Ive found you have a bout 2 days to find them edible, and then its okay.  I haven't tried any of the local persimmons.  
Live for the outdoors

Watrboyo1

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on April 30, 2020, 06:34:58 PM
Good luck getting enough roots with them to transplant. I tried to move several from N. Fla to WV a few years back and using a shovel I never got enough root stock for them to be viable.
I plan to use a stump bucket, and I'm just transplanting them to other food plots on the same property, I guess I could also try and graft some this winter.  we'll see.  but I feel if I dig a hole with stump bucket and up root tree and take straight to the hole I already dug, that I should be good, but I know they are tough to transplant
Live for the outdoors

WDH

Persimmon is dioecious, that is, there are male and female plants.  If you want persimmons, hopefully you pick a girl and not a boy :).  Transplanting is best done in the dormant season (winter) when there is less shock to the plant. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Watrboyo1

Quote from: WDH on May 04, 2020, 08:24:59 AM
Persimmon is dioecious, that is, there are male and female plants.  If you want persimmons, hopefully you pick a girl and not a boy :).  Transplanting is best done in the dormant season (winter) when there is less shock to the plant.
I knew there were male n female. And I planned to wait til next Jan to transplant. Is there a.way to tell difference between male and female
Live for the outdoors

DPatton

Quote from: Watrboyo1 on May 04, 2020, 09:22:48 AM
I knew there were male n female. And I planned to wait til next Jan to transplant. Is there a.way to tell difference between male and female
Yes, you have to turn them over and look under the roots!😂😂😂
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: Watrboyo1 on May 04, 2020, 09:22:48 AM
Persimmon is dioecious, that is, there are male and female plants.  If you want persimmons, hopefully you pick a girl and not a boy :).  Transplanting is best done in the dormant season (winter) when there is less shock to the plant.
Just say something. If it agrees with you it is male. If it corrects you .... :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Thank You Sponsors!