iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Transplanting oak saplings

Started by wesdor, April 27, 2005, 08:58:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wesdor

A friend was going to sell about 100 red oak saplings to someone out of state.  Before he started to dig with a tree spade, the purchaser called him and said there was an embargo on oak trees due to oak wilt.  They told him this was a federal ruling and the fine was $10,000 per tree if you got caught.

Just wondering if this is really the case or if the buyer decided they didn't want the trees.

By now it would be too late to transplant for this spring, but he is wondering if there is a potential to sell some in the fall, or is this embargo really true.

populus

We would need to know where you are. What state are you in, and to what state do you want to ship?

wesdor

The trees are growing in Illinois and would have been transported to Kansas.

Hope that helps.  I'm just trying to run down what the truth is in this situation.

Thanks for the reply.

populus

Oak wilt is present throughout Illinois, and in eastern Kansas, but not west of Manhattan. I suggest that you check with the county extension agents both in the county where you are digging the trees and in the county to which the trees are being shipped.

Illinois county agents are here.
Kansas county agents are here.

Ron Scott

Yes, check with the involved state agencies. It's usually best to check with the State Departments of Agriculture for the involved states affected by the transport to be sure. They usually issue the specific requirements and quarantines to be followed.

One needs to be really sure when transporting nursery or transplanting stock now days, especially across state lines. Any violations could be costly.
~Ron

wesdor

Sounds like the buyer was being honest. 
First it sounded a bit far fetched to me, but after you experts tell me the same, then I imagine the story must be true.

Like I said, the trees aren't mine, and it is for sure too late to transplant for this season.  Thanks for the information.

gary

I have some oak saplings on my property that I want to transplant. What month should I do this.
They are about 1inch in diameter and smaller.

populus

For your area, fall transplanting will work the best.  By digging after the leaves are off and transplanting right away, you give the root system a chance to grow and get established before leaf-out. Roots don't have dormancy - they will grow anytime the soil temperature is above freezing.  By transplanting in the fall, you take advantage of the fall and early spring growing period, but also any time in the winter when soil temperature is high enough for root growth. Survival of fall-transplanted oaks is better than survival of spring-transplanted oaks. 

Of course, if you can't get to the trees in the fall, spring transplanting works fine, as long as you dig the trees before leaf-out. Once leaves are out, transplanting is much more stressful. It can be done, and we transplant a fair number of trees during the growing season, but it is harder on the tree.

Larry

Would it be to late in the year to root prune for fall planting?
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

populus

I would not recommend root pruning small trees after leaf-out. There is the potential for severe water stress. In addition, competition for resources between the growing shoot and the roots menas that the roots may not grow enough to justify root pruning.

Thank You Sponsors!