iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl 051 AV help!

Started by zackman1801, August 16, 2008, 04:21:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zackman1801

Quote from: Maineloggerkid on August 22, 2008, 06:53:35 PM
Joker- just to let you in on the Maine way of life, up here, 17 years of age is quite the normal age for guys to pick up the saws and start into the woods. At the school I just graduated from, there were quite a bunch of us guys that ran saw all thru highschool just to get gas money for our toys. Maine is very different than alot of  the U.S.

i guess there has been an increased interest nowadays because for years i can remember the forestry classes having spaces left over, now for a few years in a row, and now this upcoming school year all the forestry classes are booked with not spaces left. we had too many kids than we had desks in the room last year. plus there are alot of kids at my school who work with their fathers and grandfathers in the woods after school and on weekends. but i live in a heavy logging town, lots of people from around here are woodcutter of some kind either firewood or actuall logging.
"Improvise, Adapt, OVERCOME!"
Husky 365sp 20" bar

Maineloggerkid

You guys had desks at your forestry program? We didn't.
JD 540D cable skidder, and 2 huskies- just right.   

Loggers- Saving the world from the wrath of trees!

zackman1801

yeah because our teacher emphasizes the "forestry" part more than the harvesting. if he could he would sell the skidder and dozer off and buy some nice computers and projectors to "show" us what logging is about rather than do it. but thats what you get when you have someone that has gone to school to learn about logging rather than actually do it in charge.
"Improvise, Adapt, OVERCOME!"
Husky 365sp 20" bar

boss hoss

YEP=AL IS RIGHT THESE OLD TORQUE MONSTERS ARE STUMPERS-AND THAT ONLY.
I RECENTLY BOUGHT A HOMIE 77 (95 CC'S-GOTTCHA BY 5) AND THAT WAS MY INTENTION WHEN I GOT IT==$60.
$100 LATTER SHE'S IN THE BARN AND READY TO ROCK=BUT IT'S 33# AND TOO BIG FOR 1 GUY FOR TOO LONG.
SO I WENT TO BAILEY'S WEB SIGHT AND GOT A STINGER HANDLE-SHE IS NOW A 2 MAN SAW.
YOU MAY WANT TO CONSIDER THAT-BUT YOU'RE STILL YOUNG........... smiley_horserider smiley_old_guy
IT TAKES TORQUE TO TACKLE TREES-DOES YOUR SAW HAVE A GEARBOX?

Al_Smith

To heavy ,oh pshaw . Geeze I'm an old geezer and I can still handle a Mac 125 with a 48" bar . Oh course that situation doesn't arise too often ,thank heavens . :D

jokers

Quote from: Maineloggerkid on August 22, 2008, 06:53:35 PM
Joker- just to let you in on the Maine way of life, up here, 17 years of age is quite the normal age for guys to pick up the saws and start into the woods. At the school I just graduated from, there were quite a bunch of us guys that ran saw all thru highschool just to get gas money for our toys. Maine is very differnet than alot of  the U.S.
Yeah, this is not really different than here either and I was running a saw at a very young age, hence the reason I had few reservations about starting my son with the ms180 at 6 if I`m remembering right, boys have to learn how to work. I started at 9 with a Homelite Zip or something, darn thing weighed as much as I did, I moved up to an 041av a few years later and that`s why I told Zack to forget about running that 051 too much, there just isn`t any good reason for it when there are so much better saws available.

The thing is, a college education is getting more important everday for a middle class white male in this globalized economy. For every logger running a big show and making a good living there are fifty living hand to mouth and hiding from their creditors and the IRS. If my son decides he wants to run a saw for a living he`s going to have to go through me first and I`ll make sure that it`s not easy on him. I hate to see young guys at 17 or 18 choosing a career in logging anymore.

BTW, I`ve been to Maine many times, infact my mother owns land in Bucksport. There are some family roots on my mom`s side that go way back there, seafarers in both sides of my family tree. Beautiful state.

timberfaller390

Quote from: jokers on August 25, 2008, 06:47:34 PM
For every logger running a big show and making a good living there are fifty living hand to mouth and hiding from their creditors and the IRS. I hate to see young guys at 17 or 18 choosing a career in logging anymore.
Granted, logging is only part of my living but it's been good to me.
L.M. Reese Co. Land Management Contractors
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

Thank You Sponsors!