iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

ISPWH

Started by TexasTimbers, July 30, 2008, 06:10:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TexasTimbers

Has anyone built one? I am planning to do this pretty soon like within a couple of weeks unless I see a reason not to between now and then, but wanted see if anyone has been down this road. Seems like everytime I walk past our electric i hear it heating up water, and I have a thermal blanket on it. That thing is costing probably $65 to $75+ a month, if not more.

The ISPWH looks like the best solar water heater design I have seen for many reasons. I plan to keep our electric in the system - ready to have as a back up with the turn of a couple of valves and the thrwo of the circuit breaker.

For thos eunfamiliar with the acronym it means Integral Solar Passive Water Heater. They have been around over a hundred years (longer really) but have made a pretty strong comeback recently. Any feedback from anyone who knows of a better design I am also open to that.

The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

smoothED

When i was a kid my granddad had a little woodstove in the basement, about the size of a suitcase. When we'd come home from fishing i'd start a fire in that thing and ya would have all the hot water you could use. I wish they still made things so simple and usefull.

Fla._Deadheader

Build one.  ::) ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

smoothED

Soon as i get out of south florida............i got a lot of ideas

beenthere

Quote from: smoothED on July 30, 2008, 09:30:48 PM
When i was a kid my granddad had a little woodstove in the basement, about the size of a suitcase. When we'd come home from fishing i'd start a fire in that thing and ya would have all the hot water you could use. I wish they still made things so simple and usefull.

I hear ya...when I was a kid, we'd have to build that fire just to have hot water for a bath. About a year with that routine, and Dad had a gas water heater.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

smoothED

It seems a lot more senceble now-a-days dos'nt it?

TexasTimbers

Ed you mean the gas seems more sensible or the solar? It's a no=brainer to me that the solar should be used by all of us where it is feasible. SOme environments are not conducive to it obviously.

My goal is to get the overall utility costs of our house as low as possible. I don't want to leave my wife with a high monthly outlay for utilities. I see utility costs skyrocketing over the next decade and I am wanting to get her close to off grid as possible. Not totally off grid because she likes the idea of that meter being there in case the sun don't come up and the wind don't blow. :)

smoothED

It was'nt gas or solar ,just a little wood fired hot water heater. A few peices of wood and ya would have plenty of hot water,one more step to being free. It seems people today don't wanna go the extra step,they just wanna flip the switch.

TexasTimbers

I don't think anyone here has built one yet so let me ask it this way . . .

Is anyone interested in seeing the project as I begin it, and catalog my observations? If so I will post things as I go along in case anyone wants the benefit of what I learn I might do different, and how well it works and in what conditions etc.

*I* would also like the beneifit of the collective FF braintrust even though no one may have built one I know there are useful ideas i could get. i need to get Highpockets keyed in on this. He is designing and building  solar tracking circuit and I need to find a way to yoink one from him. An ISPWH that optimized the suns trajectory would be high cotton.

beenthere

Kevjay
Yes, we are interested...sounds like a good challenge for us all, and you do the work.
thanks
8)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Fla._Deadheader

Haven't read up on the system, but, I would be happy to add confusion to the project.  ::) ::) ::) ::) ;D ;D ;D ;D

Build away. I might even try one, once I read the info.  ??? ???
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

StorminN

Hey Texas,

FYI... a few years ago, I bought a working tracking circuit for $37... hooked it up to my pole-mounted PV array, put a linear actuator from a big 'ol satellite dish on there, and it works great... no need to experiment and build one...

Red Rock Energy LED Tracker

I'd love to hear and see your progress as you build your heater...

-Norm.

Happiness... is a sharp saw.

scgargoyle

I don't know if the collector I'm planning is more efficient or not. I guess we'll have to compare results! I'm going to play with it in FL, but we're moving to the SC mountains in a couple years, so I'll need a more efficient system, since it isn't sunny and hot there all the DanG time like it is in FL.
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

LeeB

I,ll be interested and would consider doing it myself. I've thought many times about trying it.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

TexasTimbers

Quote from: StorminN on August 01, 2008, 11:38:02 AM
Hey Texas,

FYI... a few years ago, I bought a working tracking circuit for $37... hooked it up to my pole-mounted PV array, put a linear actuator from a big 'ol satellite dish on there, and it works great... no need to experiment and build one...

Red Rock Energy LED Tracker

I'd love to hear and see your progress as you build your heater...

-Norm.

Buying one is not as much fun though. ;D Highpockets likes to tinker anyhow.

That's a great site though I booked it. I think it was marked on one of my crashed compuetrs at some point.

Paul_H

Quote from: TexasTimbers on August 01, 2008, 10:24:38 AM
Is anyone interested in seeing the project as I begin it, and catalog my observations? If so I will post things as I go along in case anyone wants the benefit of what I learn I might do different, and how well it works and in what conditions etc.

You bet  :)
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Thank You Sponsors!