iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I like this for board footage

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, March 07, 2018, 10:43:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I found this just searching the internet.
I use the FF Tool Box Calculator if I need to print out an estimate sheet.
I use my BF App on my phone when figuring some jobs at the mill.

But sometimes when I'm talking on my phone to a customer its hard to talk and use the App on the phone at the same time.

I found this one tonight that I have printed out and put in a thin binder.
I can now just flip it open and determine BF 'age for lumber.
You may have a more convient way but this works for me.

Here's the link:

Board Feet Calculator or Board Foot Calc
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

paul case

I use this on lumber.
thickness in inches x width in inches x length in feet /12 to get board footage.

example: a 2x4 8' long
2x4x8/12=5.33 bdft.

Easy for me to remember and use.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: paul case on March 07, 2018, 11:21:35 PM
I use this on lumber.
thickness in inches x width in inches x length in feet /12 to get board footage.

example: a 2x4 8' long
2x4x8/12=5.33 bdft.

Easy for me to remember and use.

PC
That is easy BUT you have to do it. Aggravating to use the calculator on my phone while talking on my phone.  :D I just look it up on the sheet.
In fact i have a sign up for customers that says : thickness in inches x width in inches x length in inches divided by 144. Helps the customer to understand.

customsawyer

If you are doing the length in inches you need to divide by 144. ;)
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Ga Mtn Man

Yeah but there's more money in it if you divide by 12. 
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

YellowHammer

Quote from: customsawyer on March 08, 2018, 05:31:37 AM
Oops.  
Goats probably should keep using the preprinted table. :D :D :D

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

ncsawyer

Woodmizer has a log rule and lumber scale, in a little orange envelope with a viewing window, so you can slide the scale to the appropriate row and easily read that row.  I am sure a lot of the folks here have see and used one.I keep that in my truck all the time.  My old mill had a lumber scale right on the mill.

It's hard to see in the picture, but its on the right side blade cover in the picture.  But I mostly just use the thickness X width X length / 12 formula.  Most of my more common boards I have memorized over the years anyhow and don't need a scale or calculation.    
2015 Wood-Mizer LT40DD35
Woodmaster 718 planer
Ford 445 Skip Loader

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Ga Mtn Man on March 08, 2018, 07:06:30 AM
Yeah but there's more money in it if you divide by 12.
How do you know? I may be getting $300 a board foot. 😳😳😳

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: customsawyer on March 08, 2018, 05:31:37 AM
That's what I meant to sayJake. Thanks

derhntr

2006 Woodmizer LT40HDG28 with command control (I hate walking in sawdust)
US Army National Guard (RET) SFC

Lawg Dawg

This is the one I use, but not while talking on my phone. I have a tablet at my desk that I can use while on the phone...

Lumber Board Footage Calculator - Southern Pine

Just punch in the numbers of any size/ quantity of lumber and you have total board footage for that job...I take that total board footage number and multiply it by $1.65 and that's what I charge the customer
2018  LT 40 Wide 999cc, 2019 t595 Bobcat track loader,
John Deere 4000, 2016 F150, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong. Woodmaster Planer, and a Skilsaw, bunch of Phillips head screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

Jeff

We have a calculator that does that.

I'll put together a couple simplified boardfoot calcs for you guys to use. No sense leaving home for such a thing.  Give me an hour.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Jeff

Quote from: Lawg Dawg on March 08, 2018, 11:20:20 AM
This is the one I use, but not while talking on my phone. I have a tablet at my desk that I can use while on the phone...

Lumber Board Footage Calculator - Southern Pine

Just punch in the numbers of any size/ quantity of lumber and you have total board footage for that job...I take that total board footage number and multiply it by $1.65 and that's what I charge the customer
Here is the simplified Tally Calculator
Board Foot Tally Calculator
There is already a more elaborate version in the toolbox that will accept customer name and keep your information in it for printing.

Jeff

Mooseherder

On a keypad for multi-taskers with trimmed goat hooves. :)

Jeff

Here is your Simple Board Foot calculator. Both new calcs are mobile friendly. Easy to use on the phone.  I'll add them to the toolbox.

Simple Board Footage Calculator

Jeff

I've updated the toolbox. There is also a quick link to the toolbox on mobile devices in the quick links drop down.

I just tried it on my phone. From picking it up, going to the toolbox, picking the simple board foot calc right on top, inputting the data for a board and getting an answer it took 15 seconds.

Ga Mtn Man

Very nice.  The service here is excellent! :)
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Lawg Dawg

Quote from: Jeff on March 08, 2018, 11:58:58 AM
Here is your Simple Board Foot calculator. Both new calcs are mobile friendly. Easy to use on the phone.  I'll add them to the toolbox.

Simple Board Footage Calculator

Thats awsome , thanks! Really easy to use!

2018  LT 40 Wide 999cc, 2019 t595 Bobcat track loader,
John Deere 4000, 2016 F150, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong. Woodmaster Planer, and a Skilsaw, bunch of Phillips head screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

Wisconsintimber

Wow that's cool, guys start talking about calculating board ft and next thing you know Jeff has a calculator on here!  Thanks Jeff for all you do to make this forum great!

Jeff

I added a bit of logic to the new simple calculator so you can tally with it too. I also changed the thickness to a pick list so there is one less thing you have to enter with a keyboard. You can keep inputting and adding it to a running total, or you can reset the whole thing.

Let me know if you would like to have it completely keyboard free.  I could add preset widths and lengths and number of pieces.  I'd just need to know what you would want.   Widths in whole and halfs?  Lengths?   Leave the piece input alone maybe?   Lets make this as functional and easy as you need it.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Hey thats pretty cool Jeff...thanks.

The BF numbers that slow me down is when I need figure something with fractions.
I don't remember my decimal numbers from school so the BF Cal.
that figure the fractions are a big help.  :)

Don P

Me too, once the goat was quartered I took it inside to the wife, she's better with fractions.

Jeff

Okay, here is another calculator for those of you with fat thumbs for your phone.  I'm calling it the poke calc. All you have to do is poke the item you want, unless you want to enter a number of pieces.  Give it a try on your phones and see how it works!

Board Footage "Poke" Calculator

Thank You Sponsors!