iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I sawed the BIG HONKING BLACK CHERRY LOG TODAY...sore ankle and all!

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, April 03, 2018, 07:32:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bandmill Bandit

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on April 03, 2018, 09:57:52 PM
  I calculate 120 bf and toolbox says 456 lbs. Wow is right. I hope they have stout corbels or side supports!
IF that log is 8' foot long by 38" diameter small end you must have at least 578 BF by the Doyle log rule and cutting with a Band saw you will be closer to 724 BF. At 10 foot long you will *DanG close to a 1000 board feet.
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

PA_Walnut

Quote from: POSTON WIDEHEAD on April 04, 2018, 09:46:26 AMI slowly let the blade do it's job and poured the lube to it. The PSI was set at 4,000 and fell and stabilized at 3800. I didn't get any lines across the face or dips or rises.

Hmmm...Maybe I'm just going too fast. But when I go too slow the blade heats up and tension continues to drop. How long are you taking on one of those super-wide cuts? Just a guess...
THanks!
I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

SwampDonkey

Now that is a wow log, and one work out for your pay cheque. :D I figured out now why we cut'm down before they get much bigger than 18" up here. (In late years, barely 10" :D) Lordy, I ain't lugging and pulling on that heavy stuff. ;D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: PA_Walnut on April 04, 2018, 01:44:20 PM

Hmmm...Maybe I'm just going too fast. But when I go too slow the blade heats up and tension continues to drop. How long are you taking on one of those super-wide cuts? Just a guess...
THanks!
Not sure about the time but I creeped through it. My blade didn't heat up at all. I poured the lube to it, sawed down to the top of the mantel. Completely flipped the log and changed blades. Then sawed down to the top of the mantel again. Neither blade heated up and I will be able to use these blades again on Pine or Poplar. All the slabs came as I sawed to the Mantel on each side. Again, none of my blades heated up.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

WV Sawmiller

Bandmill,

I was talking just the mantel when I thought it was 18" wide X 10" thick X 8' long and not the whole log when I was saying 120 bf and 486 lbs or so. Now that David has confirmed it is over 30" wide and about 9' long it sounds like 225 bf for the mantel alone, let alone the remaining side lumber. 

How will he secure the mantel to his fireplace? Better have vertical supports on both ends or that's going to be one dangerous piece of wood IMHO.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

starmac

Sounds like the plan is for the mantle to support the rock chimney.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

PA Walnut, thought about it all afternoon.

Mills and blades are made to be sawn at different speeds.
Not sure why yours would be heating up. I don't think you and I saw that many different species.

Most big logs I saw that produce expensive slabs like Cherry, Walnut, Red and White Oak or anything else.....I generally use a brand new blade. I don't like to take a chance on a re sharp having a flaw on a tooth or set and making lines, diving or anything else.....not saying a new blade would do it if it had a flaw on it but my chances are less using a brand new blade.

Just can't figure why yours heats up.

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on April 04, 2018, 03:40:12 PM
How will he secure the mantel to his fireplace? Better have vertical supports on both ends or that's going to be one dangerous piece of wood IMHO.
Bronze goats holding it up,  one on either side.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on April 04, 2018, 05:35:29 PM
Quote from: WV Sawmiller on April 04, 2018, 03:40:12 PM
Bronze goats one on either side.
The fireplace is not built yet but will be built with an offset shelf for the mantel to set on.
Actually that a good idea for that much weight. A Black Cherry Mantel on a stone fireplace will look nice.  8)

customsawyer

Bring that wide head down to the project and lets test it out a bit.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

slider

Nice job club foot. I still jump on a big one from time to time then I think, what were you thinking.
al glenn

caveman

David, that cherry and the job Kirk and you did on it is impressive.  Why not bring that new mill to Jake's?  I suspect he can locate a log with enough girth to give you an opportunity to display the virtues of a wideheaded band mill.   
Caveman

YellowHammer

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Andries

Oh man, I can see a session of 'reverse roll quarter sawing' on a wide WM coming up . . . I hope! smiley_blue_bounce 
How do we sweeten the deal for David to make this happen?
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Andries on April 05, 2018, 03:31:44 PM
Oh man, I can see a session of 'reverse roll quarter sawing' on a wide WM coming up . . . I hope! smiley_blue_bounce
How do we sweeten the deal for David to make this happen?
say_what I'm thunking.

customsawyer

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

PC-Urban-Sawyer

How about a couple of big white oaks and/or sycamores to practice on...

Crossroads

With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

YellowHammer

I bet WDH could find a 40" pecan he's been saving for just such as occasion.  :D
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Thank You Sponsors!