iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Trailer for Hauling Lumber

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, April 07, 2017, 11:02:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I need a deck over trailer for hauling lumber. The one I have now has rails on it and that ain't working to good when loading lumber with forks.
I found this 3 axil, goose neck trailer that has been re-painted, brand new treated deck, electric brakes and working lights. Its has a 20 foot deck.

What would you say it's worth? Driving 2 hours to look at it tomorrow.

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

barbender

It looks well built from the pictures, but I wouldn't go more than say $1500, $2000 at the max if I REALLY wanted/needed it. Around here the mobile home axle limits the value quite a bit.
Too many irons in the fire

YellowHammer

That's the first thing I saw also, what appears to be clamp on rims for mobile home axles.  In some states they are illegal.  The are also not rated for high speed use and are also almost impossible to balance.   
Other than the axles, it's a nice looking trailer. 
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

scsmith42

The axles are pretty far forward too, which may cause a sway problem. Personally I would pass on it.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Larry

I had one similar to that.  With the three axles it would really scuff off the rubber on the front axle on a sharp turn like going in or out of a drive.  I was always scared it would roll the tire off.  On the positive side it did good hauling the load on a straight way.

Yes, the axles appear too far forward.  A two axle single or dual wheel would be my choice.

I would definitely pass.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Ljohnsaw

IF, and a big IF, the frame is very stout, then it might be worth buying to upgrade the axles. Figure $200-250/ axle (5,000# each with electric brakes) plus tires ($250/axle?).  Maybe spring upgrades when moving the axles?  So $1,500 (plus your time) to make it road worthy.  SO, if I needed such a trailer, I might do $2,000.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Larry

I thought on a gooseneck 7,000 pound axles were pretty much the standard. 

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

barbender

I have heard of regular service rated tires for those axles. Woodmizer puts what looks like a mobile home axle, or at least the wheels do, under the LT70. I don't think they would do that if it wasn't for regular highway service, but I don't know for sure.

Larry

I would also want rails on the side to hook my straps/chains.  They also come with stake pockets.

I modified my trailer and cut out the portions of the rail on one side to add strap winches.  Left the other side un-touched for the strap hooks.

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: Larry on April 08, 2017, 12:09:39 AM
I thought on a gooseneck 7,000 pound axles were pretty much the standard.
I was thinking with 3 axles (if he wants to continue with 3) that would give him 15,000 lb total - the same as two 7k axles.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

ellmoe

Pay for the frame and put two 7000 lb axles, less tires and better turning . A 14,000 lb. load is enough for a pickup to handle and you don't need to get into CDL territory. I would look for something already set up that way. I have two like that now, one dump, with a side that folds down, and another, a flat bed
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Thanks for all the input.
Getting ready to take the drive to look at it.

I sis notice the mobile home tires and axils.
My plan is just to haul stacked and snickered lumber on this trailer to the kiln and back.

I was thinking of taking the front axil off all together.

But its like this.....I may buy it and I may not. But one thing for sure.....I wasn't even gonna go look at it
until I got y'alls thoughts on it.

I'll let ya know. Thanks again.

red

The cheap mobile home tires are bad . You can buy better made tires. Just like you would not put retread tires on your Family car.
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

tacks Y

I think they rate those axles at 6K each. A lot of axles are a common size so change hubs may be possible. I have a single axle trailer I built with one and it will haul. Some tires are marked mobile home use only so look at that if you need to get it inspected.

tacks Y

Also, it would bring 2 to 3.5K up here.

caveman

I have read a lot of negative print on the mobile home axles but in my personal experience, I have never had any problems from the axles.  When I was a kid I used to work for a guy and we hauled a lot of hay and equipment on trailers with mobile home axles and GOOD tires.  Most of the time we were loaded heavy.

I have a trailer that I built over 20 years ago using mobile home axles and mobile home tires.  I have had a few tire problems over the years but the axles have been fine.  The axles are more rearward on my trailer which increases the tongue weight but it tracks true.  The reason I used mobile home tires was that until the last 8 years or so, I could get MH wheels and tires for free-$20.  Now there are not many MH dealers around here.

Jmoore and I recently purchased a GN trailer.  It still could use newer tires but we have about $3000-3500 in it including epoxy paint, conspicuity tape, pt deck, lights, load winches/straps, and axle seals.   

David, good luck with your trailer search.  The deck over is much more convenient to load/unload with forks.  O

n our low bumper pull trailer, we cut some live oak logs flat on two sides that we put across the trailer bed to stack lumber on to get the load above the fenders so that forks can easily unload.  This load would have been a lot quicker for the customer to unload had we used the spacers.
Caveman

TKehl

My three concerns with mobile home axle trailers are:

1.  Were the axles narrowed?  As they come from the factory, most are just a hair over max legal width.  Some HiPo know this, others don't.
2.  How heavy was it built?  The MH itself provides a lot of the structural strength going down the road.  The metal frame itself is kind of light duty.  If it's straight from a MH with a gooseneck added, it's lightweight no matter how many axles.  If they doubled the frame or strengthened it in some way, I'm still interested.  (deck wood helps some but does not cure all)
3.  Does it have a valid title?  I can get a homebuilt title in MO.  However, on any decent size trailer, it also requires a HiPo inspection which gets me back to #1.

I kind of like the MH axles as I don't have to keep as many spares with different lug patterns on all the farm trailers.  For me it's a plus.  If it's your only trailer, or one of say two, then neutral to slight negative.  Even so, the hubs will swap for standard lug nut type wheels if a person is so inclined.

You can get better highway rated tires (won't have "MH use" written on them), just hard to find them used anywhere.
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

69bronco

I built a trailer with mobile home axles probably 20+ yrs ago and have never had a problem with the axles or wheels/tires. I wouldn't shy away because of that. Look the welding/ fabrication over good. Good luck.

pineywoods

Mobile home axles/tires are a bit controversial.. Most of the "problems" are the result of mis-information and mis-use. First, they will probably be over-length unless you get them off an old 8 ft wide mobile home. Usually 3 inch thick wall tubing, cut out the center, weld back and then weld a plate over the splice. Split the cut out piece and use that for the re-inforcement. Tires have a bad reputation for a couple of reasons. Mobile home manufactures grossly over load them. Nothing unusual to find 3 7000 lb axles under a 40,000 lb trailer. The other problem is under-inflation. Most call for 90+ psi pressure. Odd size (14.5 inch) tubeless, they tend to leak around the rim, and then pop loose due to side scuffing in turns. . Loaded and under-inflated, they will over heat and come apart just like any other tire. Keep the tires properly inflated and I have found them to be a good reliable option.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

barbender

I should add, I have never personaly owned or used trailers with MH axles under them. They could work jusf fine, for all I know. I do know the value isn't as high as it would be with regular trailer axles under it.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Well I bought it. He was asking $2800 for it. I talked him down to $1900.
He was nice enough to let me hook up and pull it on the road before making up my mind.
I could not test the trailer breaks or the lights. I'm gonna have to get an adapter or change the plug all together.
The trailer has a well built bed, not a mobile home frame at all.
I tires to say MH on them and have air cracks win them so I will be replacing them with better tires.
The exiles are actually bigger in diameter that the axils on a MH I rent....thats good.

I ran 55 to 65 on my way back and it tracked perfectly.

Now I'm waiting on 1000 plus bf of lumber to get down to at least 20% and then I will use the trailer to haul the wood to the kiln.

In the mean time, I set the trailer up on the highway and put a for sale sign on it asking $3400 OR BEST OFFER.
May as well get a little fishing in waiting on lumber.
If it sells, I'll make a little profit and buy another one to haul lumber on.  :)

barbender

You'll probably turn a profit on it, King Midas ;D I never would, I'm more the "buy high, sell low" type :D The frame on that looks very well built, like a factory trailer.

red

How quickly times change. I thought you would be happy making $300 . Be safe with whatever you do.
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Toeboard

Mobile home axles are fine, just make sure the new tires you put on are not stamped MH to be legal with DOT. I bought a set of four 8-14.5 14 ply hi run brand for $320 these were stamped DOT off EBay a year ago, I see some cheaper prices now.
Lt35hd BX25D tractor

newoodguy78

Quote from: barbender on April 08, 2017, 04:16:27 PM
You'll probably turn a profit on it, King Midas ;D I never would, I'm more the "buy high, sell low" type :D The frame on that looks very well built, like a factory trailer.
Barbender,
Don't feel bad I've got that t-shirt too :D. I don't think I've ever sold anything at a profit.

Kbeitz

Quote from: Toeboard on April 08, 2017, 07:32:14 PM
Mobile home axles are fine, just make sure the new tires you put on are not stamped MH to be legal with DOT. I bought a set of four 8-14.5 14 ply hi run brand for $320 these were stamped DOT off EBay a year ago, I see some cheaper prices now.

Depends on your state. We can't use them here in Pa.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Sold it this afternoon. I did well.  :)

paul case

life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Magicman

This is too funny.  They lock Goats up that do less crime than you.   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on April 09, 2017, 06:59:30 PM
This is too funny.  They lock Goats up that do less crime than you.   :D

I promise I won't do it anymore.....BAHHHHHHH!
Please give me another chance.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

And now for my next trick........

KOHLER ENGINE FOR SALE

Excellent Condition  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

YellowHammer

Does it have a rim clamp flywheel?? ;D. If so, I'll take it, how much?  Heck, I'll send you a blank check, you just fill in the amount.  If you can't trust a goat, who can you trust?
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: YellowHammer on April 09, 2017, 09:35:55 PM
Heck, I'll send you a blank check, you just fill in the amount.  If you can't trust a goat, who can you trust?

I think I'm getting to ya.....Keep your eyes on the swinging watch.... :o

BigZ La

If you get the bearing numbers off the mobil home axels you should be able to convert the hubs to conventional hubs.

barbender

The goat has turned his profit and moved on...MH axles are no longer a concern of his :D Did you even bother to move your lumber first, Poston ??? :D You're a bad, bad goat- maybe that nasty acting Kohler might be your punishment, no one else seems to be having trouble with them ;D

Iwawoodwork

I own 3 trailers with mobile home axles and tires, the oldest purchased in 1993 and has traveled many thousands of miles at speeds up to 65mph with no issues except the old tires I purchase. The newer one (car trailer) I built in 2014 and just ( returned today) made a 300 mile round trip with a 1966 full size car on it up and down the freeway without an issue. I also purchased 8 tires 8x14.5 with E rating  lowboy online ( 5 months ago) for less than $70.00 each delivered so legal tires are reasonably priced.  never been stopped/cited.  As previously stated, the key  to any of the 14.5 tubeless tires is proper inflation.  My other trailer is a 4 mobile axle trailer and about 3 years ago it traveled  up I-5  to Mission Canada twice to haul my all steel circle sawmill back to the Bonanza, Oregon . I never scuffed a tire off in about 2000 miles so I would not worry a bit about the  axles or the 14.5 wheels.

TKehl

HA!  Bought right is half sold!  I can commiserate. 

I remember bringing another trailer home and telling my wife that it's a very rare trailer.  After looking it over several minutes she looked stumped and finally asked me what was rare about it.  I told her, "It's one I bought that won't be for sale".   :D :D :D
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

Deese

This thread has been some kind of funny. And then, the magician goat meme to finish things off. Perfect...
2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

Sixacresand

i remember back when you bought a MH you got to keep the axles and wheels.  People would get a machinist to cut the center out of a 5 or 6 lug rim and weld them inside a MH rims and use them On whatever.
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Thank You Sponsors!