iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Landowner handling own timber contract vs hiring forester

Started by deb36, August 27, 2012, 09:57:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MJD

Deb, if you would like I can give you a name of a guy that works for a mill in central WI., ive known him for years, have cut timber for him and also sold logs to him, he is honest, fair and old school. He does have a degree in forestry and im sure your dad would like him. PM me if your intrested in his name. Mike

snowstorm

Quote from: deb36 on August 30, 2012, 12:37:45 AM
Thanks again,

Since someone brought up age, my parents own the land Dads 96 and ma's 76.  Dad's the one calling the shots.  I'm trying to help with it, but we don't really agree on the forester.  Money is the reason for looking into it.  I think what he believes is that the forest will take care of itself after we cut. He's just not into complicated plans.  He keeps it simple.  Gotta respect that. Wish we could get some of that back these days. 

He logged in the 80's and things were a lot simpler back then.  Can't blame him for wanting to do it the same way, although I know things are more complicated these days.  He got the county forester out to mark trees, had a lawyer draw up a contract, then put out sealed bids himself.

Now one forester wants 12% of the sale, another a hefty down payment before they'll come out and look.  Once he saw the 12% on the contract he was set against it.  Says considering his property taxes over the years, he'd break even on the sale if he gave $2000 to a forester.  I guess I can see that.  I kind of like how simple it was then myself. I'll support whatever decision he makes. 

Any advice you'd give a 96 year old that might seem practical?  Sorry I didn't say so sooner.  Thought it was TMI or that it wasn't necessary.

Deb
find someone that you know and trust and have them cut it. cut to length equipment  would be a big plus. it can do a really nice looking job. everyone says you must hire a forester. he will make you money. dosent always work that way. its your land  your the boss. do what you think is right.

beenthere

QuoteDad's the one calling the shots.

Work with Dad, best you can.  Get him to think what you want to happen are his ideas. Once he gets his heels dug in, then changing his mind may be tough. Stalling for time, like the markets are bad, may be the best in the long run.
Good luck.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

ahlkey

Your situation sounds quite interesting and similar to one underway in our family at the moment.  Possibly this could be of some help to you. 

We have a family homestead property of 60 acres that was approved for entry into the MFL plan starting January 2013.  It does require a harvest within 2 years of entry as nothing but firewood has been harvested for over 70 years (high density).  My father-inlaw who lives on the old homestead is 88 years old and still active cutting trees.  He is definitely old-school and even though entry under the MFL plan was confusing to him the tax-savings alone results in over $2,000 per year (he gets that big time).  We assured him that we would do the cutting and the forester doing the marking would be independent.  I have found anyone working directly for a mill or only willing to do the harvest based commission is a conflict of interest.  I do have other properties in the state under MFL plans and active with those properties (good equipment & expereince) so it works for us to do it ourselves.  However, getting the right forester who can help market the logs will more than pay off for you.   

At this point each of the families have an immediate need for income so waiting isn't an option.  Second, the tax savings each year is immediate and significant for everyone involved, and finally the future of sustainable forestry for three familes is achieved under the MFL. 

And besides just leaving large firewood logs to grow larger wasn't increasing the value of the forest potential. To put it mildly getting sustainable forestry on the old homestead wasn't easy but it was good that we did so.

Good luck to you. 

westyswoods

Interesting topic with a variety of answers. Went through a similar situation last spring. I had a reputable buyer and forester come in. We walked the woods and he was helpful in answering questions about selectively cutting. In short he said that with the market being in a very down mode, he would not cut any prime trees, instead thin the junk so the better can get bigger and are of more value when the market turns. Good answer and appreciated.

I had already taken down several thousand feet of a variety of hardwoods and had them cut to length, staged on the landing. He measured all and gave a quote which I did not accept.

Now the interesting part, I also measured all the landing logs using same scale. Low and behold the lesser value logs were all of comparable board foot to my measurements. The white oak and others of more value were substantially under measured. This is not a figment of my imagination I double and
triple checked.

I ended up selling to the Amish for $500 more than buyers quote. I have had very good relations over the years dealing with Amish, but there is one thing I know is they don't lose money.

Just a personal story.

Stay Safe and Be Well
Westy
Stay Safe and Be Healthy
Westy

deb36

You guys have helped a lot.  Its actually a very complicated situation.  6 siblings, all with different ideas and a 96 year old who wants to do it 'my way'.  He didn't live this long for no reason...he's stubborn as a mule:-) You know, he's as old as the larger trees in our woods.  He has logged at least twice.  But we do have two separate sections of woods.  Back in the 30's I think, his uncle burned down the woods by accident, and all the maples died, but the basswood came back.  So he and a few other guys cut cord wood that they sold locally.   

I'll just present things to him when it seems like a good time, and see what he says.  I'm hoping we can delay a sale so I can get organized.  If we could get a forester just to give us a plan and mark the trees, it may work.  I just have to find someone in the area.  I'll ask the county forester if he knows of anyone that might do that.  And maybe I'll just do some calling around to foresters and see what I can come up with.  Then maybe get the local logger that my Dad likes, and check into mills. Thanks for giving me an idea of how the process goes.  There's a lot to it. 

As far as the MFL program, we're checking that also. Good that we can balance the financial part and the forest management part of it without hopefully too much conflict. 

I'm sure I'll be coming back to this post a lot to figure out a plan. I'll let you know if we go ahead with it and what happens. 

Deb

Okrafarmer

We are collectively glad to help, Deb, and I hope it goes well for you. Don't be a stranger on here! We're a fun bunch to hang around with, and there is a LOT we can all learn from each other.  ;)
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

WDH

If you use good, reputable, experienced people, you will be fine.  Just be real clear on what your management objectives are.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

drobertson

Hope the best for your family, it is always a hard thing when multiple inputs are coming in. One might want to leave everything, another with other ideas.  I just know that we had a good guy do ours in 95'. I remember his words,"it will be ready in 15 years for another thinning"  and it is.   His crew made nice roads,  with mimimal damage.   One thing for sure, depending on who does it the potential for waste is present. Just remember to try and market the whole tree if possible. 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

terry f

Deb, is this land going to be passed to the six siblings, sounds like its been in the family a while. If it is you might want to get some input from them. Sounds like you're doing alot of the leg work for your dad, and I wouldn't want argue with a 96 year old, but sometimes old school, aint the best school. Doing whats best for the land, might not put the most money in his pocket.

Ron Scott

You have received good information here. Seek out the services of a professional forester that comes with the best recommedations from others to serve your family's best interests in your woodland management. The forester's professional judgement will be most helpful.
~Ron

Thank You Sponsors!