iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Modifying a utv

Started by East ky logging, Yesterday at 05:58:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

East ky logging

I know this an odd request but has anyone ever modified a Utv to hand controls for someone that is paralyzed from the chest down. 
 My youngest daughter was a emt that was in a ambulance wreck in march that left her paralyzed from the chest down and she loved coming back home with her daughter and husband to ride up to the pond to fish and deer hunting. 
 I was just wondering if anyone has ever done that or what would be the best utv to get. 
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety- Benjamin Franklin

barbender

Wow, sorry to hear about her accident, that's a tough one. 

I've not heard of any specific UTV being set up with hand controls, but I would think they would be one of the simpler machines to get set up.

I run Ponsse forestry equipment, and I've heard of a few of those being set up for  paraplegics. So about anything can be made to work.
Too many irons in the fire

Hilltop366

I drove a vehicle once that belonged to a guy with two prosthetic legs. He had a hand control leaver on the right side of the steering column, I do remember that it had a rod going down to the brake pedal and had a "U" shape on the end of the rod to go around the part just above the pedal. The same leaver would apply the gas too.  It was awkward to drive for me as you can imagine.  He told me he could remove it and put in another vehicle in a half hour.

Look up "car hand controls" for ideas.

JD Guy

I would like to add our prayers for your daughter and all of your family. As for modifying the controls on a utv, I'm very sorry I cannot help but hopefully someone will come along with either the knowledge or be able to point you in the right direction.
Best wishes!

SawyerTed

So sorry to hear of her injury.

On the other hand she sounds courageous to want to get out and continue with life.   

A friend is involved with a veterans outdoor experience organization.   He said they've used mobilityquad.com for vehicles.  I'm not sure they'll modify controls but do modify UTVs for accessibility.  
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

SawyerTed

Ilderton Conversions in High Point, NC does control mods for disabled drivers.  Might be worth an email to them to learn about devices they use for controls.  
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

East ky logging

I'll look into that. Thanks sawyer Ted and everyone else. She's in Atlanta at the shepherd center now for rehabilitation. She's as tough as they come. Been on a bulldozer since she could walk. Been many times I would come home and she would be making trails or clearing out ones since she was about 13. I've usually always had had several dozer's around and she could run anything on tracks 
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety- Benjamin Franklin

Old Greenhorn

I read about this accident a while back and it tore my heart out. I had no idea she was related to us here of course. Even after leaving EMS I still try to keep current with what is going on in that world as well as the fire service. My heart goes out to you and your family because your lives have changed. Alex seems like a strong woman and I wish for her every opportunity to reclaim her life as best she can. I wish the same for your entire family. I don't know much about modding UTV's, but I am certain it can be done. 
 If there is anything you need help with, please post it here so we (or I) can see what we can do to assist in some way.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

barbender

If you Google "UTV handicap controls" there are some pretty reasonably priced mechanisms on Amazon. I think they are made for automotive but I'm sure something could be made to work.
Too many irons in the fire

East ky logging

Thanks greenhorn. Yeah that's be baby girl. 

thecfarm

Sorry to hear she got hurt. 
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!