iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Auction Sawmills

Started by Ed Weber, May 04, 2024, 02:58:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Weber

This is my first post here
Does anyone have any experience with the common mills sold at auctions, like the AGT or TMG brands.
I'm well aware that they aren't top of the line, just wondering if they're good enough for occasional use if gotten at a decent price.
Thanks for any info

randy d

Why not just buy a Wood-Mizer and have a very good company support to help you get started they have a LX50 start on sale right now for under 4.000 and it will cut lumber and Wood-Mizer will be there is needed

Southside

Never heard of those and presuming they are Chinese knock offs. Personally I would steer clear of anything like that.  You have no idea on quality control and zero support when things go wrong - and they will.  There are a number of mfg of quality, entry level mills that are sponsors listed on the left of the page here, any of those would do very well for what you want.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

SawyerTed

+ 1 on a mill with proven support. 

Just because it's on auction doesn't necessarily mean it's a good deal.  

I've noticed some low hour entry mills are coming available on Marketplace at reasonable prices.  
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

newoodguy78

Ed by chance were you looking at a couple mills in a Windsor Locks CT auction yesterday?  There was a TMG and two range road mills went through,all smaller manual ones. 
Your timing of your question is ironic because I've been wondering the same thing and actually went to have a look myself yesterday. 
Ended up calling TMG and got ahold of someone to answer a few questions. Seemed knowledgeable and very helpful. 

My impression of the TMG wasn't all bad by any means. Very simple design that upon first appearance looked very easy to maintain and adjust. Now I certainly won't say it's overbuilt and very well could be wrong about adjusting it and keeping it that way. 
After looking at it decided if I could get it for 1200 under retail I'd gamble. Didn't end up happening. 
I'm just as glad it didn't. My goal is to have a mill of my own this year. It will more than likely be from one of the sponsors on here. Just the knowledge of members that have them is an immeasurable asset, some of these folks have taken very good machines and improved on them relying on each other to do so. 
I'm not brand specific to any of them but before making a purchase several calls will be made to see how their parts and service departments are and also getting ahold of owners of the mills just to get real world information. 
IMO they're all good when running its what happens when they aren't and how often problems arise is what separates the good from the bad. 

Ed Weber

Thanks for the replies, I'll see if I can cover it all.
1. These are NIB at auction and can usually be had at less than 1/2 price of comperable machines.
2. AGT is Chinese and TMG is Canadian, both machines are similar.
#. I'm in CA and both of these brands frequently come up at my local auction and have many offerings, not just Sawmills, they are established companies.

I was simply wondering if anyone had any first-hand experience with owning/running one.
I'm just entertaining the idea, that's all.

tacks Y

Ed, Lets start at the beginning WELCOME to the FF.

I can not help with the mills you are looking at. Nothing wrong with starting on the cheap. I have owned Grizzly wood working machines but have moved to American old iron.  But some have and love the Grizz. I am on my 3rd mill all used, there are some deals on used if one wants to look.

SawyerTed

After looking at the website, TMG mills look like so many other entry level mills.  They are pretty light weight to hit a certain price point.  For my money, I'd save my pennies for something more substantial.  
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Ed Weber

Thanks guys
Like I said, I was just toying around with the idea, IF it was at a good price. I don't want to pay full price for occasional use if I can avoid it.

tacks Y

Ed, You may want to look at FB everything USED woodworking Tools & Equipment

There are a few mills listed there now, but all over the country. A couple weeks ago there was a WM LT35 with a diesel at a good price, lasted a day or two. It was north of you.

Thank You Sponsors!